Taormina signs with Lightning

Z-Man

https://twitter.com/NHL

@TBLightning: The #TBLightning have signed defenseman Matt Taormina to a one-year, two-way contract.

http://lightning.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=637370

The Tampa Bay Lightning have signed defenseman Matt Taormina to a one-year, two-way contract today, vice president and general manager Steve Yzerman announced.

Taormina, 5-foot-9, 190 pounds, has played in 47 career NHL games with the New Jersey Devils during the previous two seasons, recording four goals and 12 points with a plus-4 rating. He made his NHL debut on October 8 vs. Dallas and recorded his first point October 13 at Buffalo.

I understand the perceived log jam on D, but Matt is going to be a really good player in this league by the time he is 30 if he gets a shot at some consistent minutes. In today's game, his style of play is in demand. I'd much rather have him or Harrold in the line up then Salvador and/or Greene, considering the contract.

Best of luck Tao.

he was a nice player. i wish him well. with the emergence of harrold and his subsequent re-signing, taormina became expendable.

Agree. He will have a better shot in Tampa where Sammy Salo is always one play away for the IR.

Like I said in the other thread, if he had not gotten injured at the start of 10-11, it'd be a whole different ballgame.

Yep. He had a spot pretty much locked up, and by the time he was healed we couldn't bump someone out for him. Unfortunate timing for sure...

thats a bummer i really liked him, his shots were finding their way to the goalie

He was good, but unfortunately, he was the same size as Tedenby. He's listed at 5'9", but I'm pretty convinced that anyone below 6' in the NHL gets measured with their skates on, lol. Teddy and Tao were listed at 5'9", but I'd have to guess they're closer to 5'6"-5'7".

My point is, he's good, but when you're that small, you have to be better and stronger than the average NHL player and he's not THAT good.

Edited by ATLL765

He was good, but unfortunately, he was the same size as Tedenby. He's listed at 5'9", but I'm pretty convinced that anyone below 6' in the NHL gets measured with their skates on, lol. Teddy and Tao were listed at 5'9", but I'd have to guess they're closer to 5'6"-5'7".

My point is, he's good, but when you're that small, you have to be better and stronger than the average NHL player and he's not THAT good.

He reminds me so much of Cory Murphy, right down to the great AHL numbers. And Murphy just couldn't stick in the NHL, mostly due to size and injuries. I hope Tao gets a good chance in Tampa.

Could he not have been used as trade bait, he played solid for us and seemed to move the puck well. Just more NJ talent going to play somewhere else! We need some one on right wing to fo fill money bags pursie spot! Sick of seen our talent go for free! And yes I'm bitter, we seem to be the training ground, "we will train then give em away, don't worry we want nothing in return we already need to give up a first rounder" pathetic, hey Lou I heard that d!ck Avery is available!

Sorry just venting sick of seeing good talent just walk while we sign Jansen, this other shmoe from Panthers. Enough already I'd rather we did nothing and try and hold on to what we have then this crap!!

Could he not have been used as trade bait, he played solid for us and seemed to move the puck well. Just more NJ talent going to play somewhere else! We need some one on right wing to fo fill money bags pursie spot! Sick of seen our talent go for free! And yes I'm bitter, we seem to be the training ground, "we will train then give em away, don't worry we want nothing in return we already need to give up a first rounder" pathetic, hey Lou I heard that d!ck Avery is available!

Sorry just venting sick of seeing good talent just walk while we sign Jansen, this other shmoe from Panthers. Enough already I'd rather we did nothing and try and hold on to what we have then this crap!!

Eh, I don't Tao was really gonna be all that great. He was never drafted, and after his injury got passed by a lot of guys on the depth chart. I don't remember him really blowing anyone away this season, either. It's probably best for him to move on.

Ladies and gentlemen, I give you your moron.

Ladies and gentlemen, I give you your moron.

Excuse me thy greatness, I guess the term venting is not in your vocabulary, but calling somebody a moron is. After the last week I'm a little ticked off to see the way this team is progressing. But Max I will leave the insults to you.