Flyers sign Weber to offer sheet

ghdi

That's not even a bad cap hit for Weber.

Good for the Flyers. fvck that sh!thole of a city and franchise, but good for them.

And, just to relate to it a bit..it must be real tough to be a preds fan right now.

And also, stealing this from Hfboards. Answered some questions I had:

1. What's the compensation? The average value is just 7.14M, doesnt that mean it's only 2 firsts, a 2nd, and a 3rd?

A: No, as per CBA 10.4, the term used in an offersheet calculation is the lower of the term of the contract and five years. 100M/5 = 20M. 20M > 8.4M. Compensation is four first round picks.

2: How long does nashville have to make a decision?

A: Per CBA 10.3 B+C, if nashville does not exercise their right of first refusal within seven days, Shea Weber's contract with the flyers will go into effect.

3: Can nashville match and trade him?

A: Nashville cannot trade him for one calendar year from the time they match the offersheet. If they wait the full seven days, they cannot trade him until July 26th 2013 (CBA 10.3 B)

4: Wait, what if there's an NTC/NMC? Then isnt Nashville stuck with this contract?

A: Nashville only has to match the principal terms of the offersheet, meaning the salary/signing bonuses/structure. (CBA 10.3 B+E)

5. What if nashville trades him right now to another team?

A: Nashville cannot trade him once he has signed the offersheet (CBA 10.3 A)

Edited by Devilsfan118

Its hard to not feel bad for the Predators - what a bad off-season.

However, I'd imagine the the offer will be a lot more than 14/100 - there's no way the Preds don't match that and Phi would have essentially forfeited any shot at Weber.

Edited by ben00rs

I would argue this doesn't necessarily mean Weber wants out - if he absolutely didn't want to be a Predator, he would've demanded a trade.

Signing an offer sheet always carries the potential of having to play for the original team. Weber's not stupid, he knew what he was doing. He just wanted to get paid.

I would argue this doesn't necessarily mean Weber wants out - if he absolutely didn't want to be a Predator, he would've demanded a trade.

Signing an offer sheet always carries the potential of having to play for the original team. Weber's not stupid, he knew what he was doing. He just wanted to get paid.

Sure, but the fact remains that the Predators were trying to trade him recently. You don't trade a player of Weber's caliber unless you can't pay him or he wants out. One scenario I could see is the Preds matching and asking him to give them this year to see if he wants to stay then as they can't even move him for a year if they match. I can't see them forcing him to stay there if he wants to leave.

If the Preds werent trying to trade him, I'd agree, but the fact Dreger mentioned that they were trying to prior to the Flyers doing this makes it easier to conclude he probably already demanded one.

I think he definitely wants the long-term deal now, but that begs the question of why were the Preds shopping him in the first place? He could probably get a more lucrative deal from Nashville now anyway since they're almost 30 under the cap going into this coming season.

trying to see if its a good moves for the flyers to give away 4 first round picks for weber...

they have a pretty good young core if you look at the 30 and under players, they wont have too many holes to fill for a a bunch of years... also Briere should be good for awhile too, probably another 3-4 good playoffs run in him... but i'll leave him out

Hartnell - Giroux - Voracek

Schenn - Couturier - Simmonds

________ - Read - Talbot

Wellwood - _______ - Rinaldo

Weber - Coburn

Grossman - Schenn

Meszaros - Bourdon

Gustafsson - Manning

fvcked in net tho

not the best young dcorp but still very young and some could develop real well... based on that (that they may be set for awhile with very young players) they may have the luxury to forfeit 4 first round picks not having to reload their prospect pool too soon... hard to gauge tho....

Nashville better match that sh!t.

I wouldn't if I were them...that contract is lunacy.

If Philly is just determined to throw $100 million at whoever at they can, God bless 'em. Teams like Philly and the Rangers have been buying top free-agents for years, or paying superstar dollars for players that clearly aren't superstars...outside of backpage fodder, what has that gotten either team? These contracts are absurd...I could never bring myself to sign a guy for 14 years.

If Philly is just determined to throw $100 million at whoever at they can, God bless 'em. Teams like Philly and the Rangers have been buying top free-agents for years, or paying superstar dollars for players that clearly aren't superstars...outside of backpage fodder, what has that gotten either team? These contracts are absurd...I could never bring myself to sign a guy for 14 years.

You're preaching to the choir about these contracts CR. That said, Weber is arguably the best defenseman in the game, and I have no interest in having him on one of our arch-rivals for the next 14 years. The money and term is Nashville's problem. So I really hope they match it, although I'm sure the Phailures did what they could to poison pill this thing as best they could.

Weber is definitely an elite defenseman, but his addition isn't going to bolt Philly to the forefront of the Eastern Conference. They've still got goalie issues and a not so stellar d corps.

What's with all the bonuses?

It's complete BS!

Pull the plug and turn off the lights and say no to this nonsense.

That not-so-stellar d-corps went to the Finals two years ago with Pronger. If they get Weber, he's basically a Pronger equivalent, and for all of Bryz's ills he's still better than the goalies they were throwing out two years ago.

I would think they'd match since they have the money they were going to give Suter to pay him, but the only thing that scares me is they were floating him out for trade talk supposedly. If his 'normal' demands were too pricey for them, this contract might push it over the edge.

Except Nashville's franchise and their credibility is ruined if they let Weber AND Suter go inside one calendar month. All they'd have left is Rinne and a bunch of role players. In a brutal division with St. Louis, Chicago and Detroit, good luck competing or getting fans to come the next couple years (which isn't insignificant).

I swear Nashville is a total mirror image of the Devils. A good, successful small market franchise which churns out talent that eventually split for bigger market teams.

Even the Devils never took this kind of a hit in one offseason. Well they sort of did with Stevens and Nieds but at least they still had an offense to compete with. Nashville never had an offense with their 'good' teams, now they lose the heart and soul of their defense in a month, that's rough.

Even the Devils never took this kind of a hit in one offseason. Well they sort of did with Stevens and Nieds but at least they still had an offense to compete with. Nashville never had an offense with their 'good' teams, now they lose the heart and soul of their defense in a month, that's rough.

It would be beyond brutal for them to lose both guys in the same offseason- almost equally from an on-ice and PR perspective. What do you tell the fans down there? How do you sell tickets after losing your 2 best players, one of which is your captain and heart and soul? I think Nashville has to match this, as much for good PR and ticket sales as on-ice reasons.

Except Nashville's franchise and their credibility is ruined if they let Weber AND Suter go inside one calendar month. All they'd have left is Rinne and a bunch of role players. In a brutal division with St. Louis, Chicago and Detroit, good luck competing or getting fans to come the next couple years (which isn't insignificant).

I hear what you're saying...just sucks for Nashville that they will put in a position where they're going to have to sign a guy to a terrible contract, to save face for "letting" another guy go who also signed a terrible contract. I'm just of the strong belief that, if some team like the Flyers are willing to be flat-out stupid and careless with their money (hello, Ilya Bryzgalov), you don't have to do the same.

It sucks, and fans who want that instant backpage gratification don't want to hear this, but I feel sometimes you have the bite the bullet and let the other guys make the mistakes. There's other things you can do with that money, even if they don't happen right away. This more than any other reason is why I'm not all that upset that Zach left...even though it sounds like Lou was willing to cough up some pretty significant coin to keep him.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Forgetting possible new CBA implications for a second, if Nashville was gonna re-sign Weber next year, it would've taken a contract like this to do so anyway. This just saves a year of waiting or -- if they weren't gonna re-sign him -- trade baiting. Philly is just forcing the issue. Either get it out of the way and give your man his contract, or take these draft picks for him.

Usually I don't like offer sheets, but this is actually a pretty solid move by Holmgren.

I can't worry about things 10-12-14 years into the future...so my only thought is that I hope the Preds do match because having Weber on our rival for the next 5-7 years, in his prime, would be annoying to have to watch.

And for the reasons other wrote above, I think the Preds sorta have to match so they can build upon their recent success.

Forgetting possible new CBA implications for a second, if Nashville was gonna re-sign Weber next year, it would've taken a contract like this to do so anyway. This just saves a year of waiting or -- if they weren't gonna re-sign him -- trade baiting. Philly is just forcing the issue. Either get it out of the way and give your man his contract, or take these draft picks for him.

Usually I don't like offer sheets, but this is actually a pretty solid move by Holmgren.

I don't get the kvetching over offer sheets myself. They're legal and if you can use them to get a player or injure a competitor, why not?

That said I find it ironic Philly's doing this to Nashville after years of basically Nashville being a minor league team for Philly as it is (Timonen-Hartnell-etc). I do hope they get karmatically punished for biting the hand that fed them out of the cellar :P

I can't worry about things 10-12-14 years into the future...so my only thought is that I hope the Preds do match because having Weber on our rival for the next 5-7 years, in his prime, would be annoying to have to watch.

And for the reasons other wrote above, I think the Preds sorta have to match so they can build upon their recent success.

The other misnomer is people worrying about the length of contract. Jeff Carter signed for a million years and that contract got traded twice in the matter of months. Yeah it's 14 years but if they're getting x number of dollars up front then they're only getting y amount on the back end, makes the cap hit easier to trade/get rid of down the road when there isn't real money involved.

It's not about length of contract, it's about up-front money and cap hit. People should have learned this with the Kovy deal, length just helps the cap hit. People talk about it being a 15-year deal but Kovy's really a 10-90 contract moneywise, with the last five years being for peanuts and the cap hit helping on the front end it's a contract you could make dissapear in a couple years or so if you wanted to.

And even Kovy's deal looks like chump change compared to what's being thrown around this offseason, he didn't get any up front money.

Edited by NJDevs4978

A perfect comparison to the Flyers are the NY Jets. They have had some success in the past, but haven't won sh!t in a while. They also crave the spotlight. This is all coming from a Jets fan

Has: Of course offer sheets are legal, but it is an unspoken no-no. There's a reason why they don't happen very often. I think this shines a bad light on the Flyers and Holmgren deal or not

Weber doesn't have the stones(like Scotty Stevens) to lead his team to success so he wants to be a passenger on another team. He probably also wants a bit more glitz and glamour.

You mean like Steven did in Washington and St. Louis? Stop it, Stevens won because of a GREAT goalie, a great team defensive system and great team around him.

Got this from another board:

Actually, it's very simple why they will not match.

They don't have $30M in cash to write a check to Shea Weber.

On top of that, since the cap hit would only be $7.1M, they would still have to put out a significant amount of money to just get to the floor. They would end up paying $40M in cash for $20M in cap space. They don't have it.

Apparently the Flyers offer has a $26 million dollar signing bonus plus salary that first year of $4 million. Which means the Preds would have to shell out $30 million to ONE guy. Comcast might have that kind of money but the Preds ownership doesn't. I've also heard that Luke Schenn and Weber are close friends (not sure if true just message board crap) but it is probably why Weber signed the sheet to force something.

I think that's what the Flyers (and Weber who clearly wants out since they low balled him last summer and he went to arbitration) had in mind.

Book it they will work out a trade within the week. The Flyers have way too many defensemen under contract.

Weber (potentially)

Timonen

Meszaros

Coburn

Grossmann

Schenn

Gervais

Lilja

and a bunch of two way AHL guys with Phantoms like Manning, Bourdon and Gustafsson.

Edited by Eztarget

A perfect comparison to the Flyers are the NY Jets. They have had some success in the past, but haven't won sh!t in a while. They also crave the spotlight. This is all coming from a Jets fan

Has: Of course offer sheets are legal, but it is an unspoken no-no. There's a reason why they don't happen very often. I think this shines a bad light on the Flyers and Holmgren deal or not

Like the Oilers with Vanek or the Sharks with Hjalmarsson, forcing the Hawks hand with Niemi?

Offer sheets don't happen all that often because:

A) You need the player to agree

B) Teams are generally going to match barring something insane or cap busting

C) Yes, there is a bit of unspoken mutually assured destruction feared towards your own players. It's not quite the blackball material that you and others make it out to be though.

Edited by NJDevs4978