Where can the Devils find a D for F swap?

Triumph

You're not going to get someone who's put up 50 points for Henrik Tallinder. The Devils could use anyone right about now. They're using Mattias Tedenby, an 18 year old, and giving 15 minutes a game to a forward who's passed through waivers 3 times and hasn't put up 50 points in the AHL.

I know, I just specifically don't want him. He was useless before Detroit's and on the downslope. I'd rather not just trade an asset (albeit a depreciating one) for just a rental who might very well be useless here. I'd rather go for prospects

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know, I just specifically don't want him. He was useless before Detroit's and on the downslope. I'd rather not just trade an asset (albeit a depreciating one) for just a rental who might very well be useless here. I'd rather go for prospects

The Devils aren't going to get prospects for anyone they trade except *maybe* Fayne, unless they themselves include prospects too.

The Devils aren't going to get prospects for anyone they trade except *maybe* Fayne, unless they themselves include prospects too.

then maybe draft picks. Detroit traded a first rounder for freaking Kyle Quincy so you can probably get something for Tallinder

The goal is younger. Not older.

I'm not advocating for Hejduk, but I don't mind the Devils trading one of their defenseman for an older player who will be a free agent when the year ends. It clears more cap space for the Devils this offseason and it helps this years team.

I'm not advocating for Hejduk, but I don't mind the Devils trading one of their defenseman for an older player who will be a free agent when the year ends. It clears more cap space for the Devils this offseason and it helps this years team.

Devils have no need for cap space this year and how much is Hejduk going to help? Just go sign Sykora instead if you're going that route it's probably not much of a dropoff

Edited by DH26

Devils have no need for cap space this year and how much is Hejduk going to help? Just go sign Sykora instead if you're going that route it's probably not much of a dropoff

The Devils do have need for budget room. They should have one of the cheapest defensive units in the league next year with Fayne, Larsson, prospect X (Merrill, Urbom, or Gelinas) taking up 3 of the spots. That will enable more spending on forwards, which they so desperately need.

How do we know that the Devils won't use cap space in this offseason? How about the next, or the one after? Either way, it may free up a few million dollars in actual money to go get guys. This coming offseason may have a lot of bargains too.

I said I wasn't advocating for Hejduk, but I certainly think he's more helpful than Sykora. I don't think it's a surprise Hejduk is making $2 million this season and Sykora can't find a team that will give him league minimum.

The Devils do have need for budget room. They should have one of the cheapest defensive units in the league next year with Fayne, Larsson, prospect X (Merrill, Urbom, or Gelinas) taking up 3 of the spots. That will enable more spending on forwards, which they so desperately need.

That's true though like you said w/ the D getting cheaper, Elias presumably coming back cheaper it might not be necessary since they still have to get to the floor though I haven't really looked too deep so I'll just take your word for it. Hopefully they go after some expensive forward next year since I'd think it'd be easier for Lou to swing a trade during the offseason (provided they don't blow all their $ on Perry or something dumb)

Edited by DH26

Its possible Hejduk could help a bit. He dropped off a bit last season, but Colorado has not been good in a while and he was a very steady performer for years prior and is reliable in the way of health. Sykora was definitely a contributor last regular season but the last two playoffs he's been in (Pittsburgh and us last year) he was benched when it mattered most. I like Sykora and Im glad we brought him on board last year, but that ship has sailed. There's no guarantee at all that Sykora would be able to contribute in the playoffs.

I'm not advocating for a trade for Hejduk, but considering the makeup of this team currently and the fact his contract would not matter next year, its not much of a reach. Obviously, it would completely depend on return, but if we could get him for a return like Zidlicky's, thats a deal very much worth considering.

That's true though like you said w/ the D getting cheaper, Elias presumably coming back cheaper it might not be necessary since they still have to get to the floor though I haven't really looked too deep so I'll just take your word for it. Hopefully they go after some expensive forward next year since I'd think it'd be easier for Lou to swing a trade during the offseason (provided they don't blow all their $ on Perry or something dumb)

I think the floor will be 48 million and Devils would be at 38m. - that's with Elias, Zubrus, Clarkson, Henrique, Josefson, Tedenby needing new contracts. Not a problem to get there.

I think the floor will be 48 million and Devils would be at 38m. - that's with Elias, Zubrus, Clarkson, Henrique, Josefson, Tedenby needing new contracts. Not a problem to get there.

Teddy & Josefson are gonna make peanuts I'd assume but yeah you're right I didn't realize it was dropping that low I guess. Nope no problem there even if Elias took way less than now. And eventually they're going to have to lock up Fayne, Larsson, Henrique like you said so it shouldn't be a problem

Teddy & Josefson are gonna make peanuts I'd assume but yeah you're right I didn't realize it was dropping that low I guess. Nope no problem there even if Elias took way less than now. And eventually they're going to have to lock up Fayne, Larsson, Henrique like you said so it shouldn't be a problem

I don't see Jojo getting more than like 1.5-2.5/3 years unless he breaks out this year with 30-40+ points.

As much as I like Josefson he needs to stay healthy and produce consistently before we start penciling in new deals and dollar figures that are too high.

As much as I like Josefson he needs to stay healthy and produce consistently before we start penciling in new deals and dollar figures that are too high.

From the way he plays, I think it's fairly safe to say unless his skills cannot at all be translated into offense, he'll still be a 3rd line center in the NHL and giving a 3C $1.5-2.5, isn't that much.