Rick Nash To NYR

JakeDev

What was the rumored package for Nash at the trade deadline? Krieder was involved then right?

No. Columbus pressed to have Kreider included, but the Rags refused at all stages. He was about as untouchable to the Rangers as Larsson is for the Devils.

Typical Rangers. Can't go an offseason without making a desperate headline grab move.

Rick Nash is a good pure goal scorer, but ignores most other facets of the game. And the Rags gave up a ton. 1st rounder (major value) Dubinsky (yes he was over-hyped because he was a Ranger...but still a decent energy/depth forward who can put up 40pts a year. Anisimov is the guy they're really going to regret because he's already turning into a solid 2 way power center who puts up 50-60pts a year. Dont know much about tim erixon but hockeysfuture does project him fairly well

bad move rangers

The rangers also get a 3rd rounder and a minor league dman. Columbus is such a joke. Dubinsky and anisimov werent big factors in their first place finish this year. They are a better team now. It would be great if lou would do something cause if philly gets weber then we falling behind the pack for sure.

Neither was pretty much anyone besides luck, Henrik Lundqvist, and Ryan McDonagh. I think Sather is falling into the classic trap of assuming player on terminally bad team = magically better when he goes to a better team.

I think that's a fair price to pay for Nash, but I don't get how it makes the Rangers better. Their system last year clearly did not utilize Gaborik's strengths. Won't the same thing happen to Nash? Rangers should have been shopping for someone like Keith Yandle instead.

For their sake, they better have a plan for Yandle or someone like him. For our sake, let's hope that Stu Bickel is their fifth best defenseman.

Here was what the Rangers offered at the Deadline (Rumored)

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2012/02/27/heres-what-the-rangers-reportedly-offered-for-rick-nash/

Columbus GM Scott Howson rejected what is believed a Rangers’ final offer of Dubinsky, 21-year-old defenseman Tim Erixon, 2011 first-rounder J.T. Miller, 2010 second-rounder Christian Thomas and a first-round selection in this June’s Entry Draft.

It's not wishful thinking. Nash is on a TERRIBLE contract right now. Dubinsky is the kind of forward every team needs more of. Anisimov isn't overpaid at all (neither is Dubinsky). Then there's Erixon who's an interesting player and a 1st round pick, which is whatever. It's a solid haul for a guy who is on an awful contract until the end of time.

They didn't trade any of their top players to get Rick Nash. That is a win. Especially when CBJ was asking for the moon just weeks ago.

They didn't trade any of their top players to get Rick Nash. That is a win. Especially when CBJ was asking for the moon just weeks ago.

Huh? Everyone asks for the moon. Where was there going to appear a better market? Let's review the facts about Rick Nash:

- He turned 28 a month ago.

- He's not a play driver but no one cares about that so...

- While he's scored 95 goals over the last 3 seasons, which ranks 12th in the league over that span...

- ...he's signed at the 5th highest cap hit in the league and signed until 2018 when he is 36.

The only way this trade is a win is if Columbus was that bad/NYR is that good that he becomes a 40 goal forward who can drive play in New York. I wouldn't bet on that happening. And if the cap goes down and salaries don't get rolled back significantly, Nash is still on a rotten contract. Again, imagine Nash is a UFA - do you want to sign him at that cap hit until 2018? Probably not.

Huh? Everyone asks for the moon. Where was there going to appear a better market? Let's review the facts about Rick Nash:

- He turned 28 a month ago.

- He's not a play driver but no one cares about that so...

- While he's scored 95 goals over the last 3 seasons, which ranks 12th in the league over that span...

- ...he's signed at the 5th highest cap hit in the league and signed until 2018 when he is 36.

The only way this trade is a win is if Columbus was that bad/NYR is that good that he becomes a 40 goal forward who can drive play in New York. I wouldn't bet on that happening. And if the cap goes down and salaries don't get rolled back significantly, Nash is still on a rotten contract. Again, imagine Nash is a UFA - do you want to sign him at that cap hit until 2018? Probably not.

The Rangers traded the least possible to get an all-star first liner. Your whole post only critiques Nash and doesn't offer an alternative. By your logic there was no winning scenario for NYR that involved getting Rick Nash at all outside of them getting him off re-entry waivers. So if your argument is that the Rangers lose no matter what because they got Rick Nash then that's fair.

Edited by ben00rs

This hurts the Rangers bottom six IMO. Thats if they do not make anymore moves.

Gaborik Richards Hagelin

Callahan Stepan Nash

Kreider Boyle Asham

Rupp Halpern Pyatt

that looks horrible. i dont think they will be a much better team. they lost depth and thats what teams need now a days

that looks horrible. i dont think they will be a much better team. they lost depth and thats what teams need now a days

Thats what did them in against us.

And let us all remember that A LOT of things went the Rangers way last season. Lets see if they can do that again.

Nash has a terrible contract but I feel NYR hardly gave up anything here. Howson is doing a bang up job in CBJ once again.

Your joking right bubster?

The Rangers need to understand (which I'm convinced that they won't) - they need to keep SOME young talent! Afterall, what's the point of having all-star veterans if there is no young talent to train?

Looks like they got Nash for trash.

Perfectly said in my opinion.

Dubi - junk

Anisimov -- average

Erixon - who knows

Pick --- who knows

Bottom line it is surprising to believe that this was the best offer the Blue Jackets got. I understand BJackets wouldn't send him to Detroit.. but outside of their own division... they got no better offer then the strangers junk????

:huh:

Your joking right bubster?

The Rangers need to understand (which I'm convinced that they won't) - they need to keep SOME young talent! Afterall, what's the point of having all-star veterans if there is no young talent to train?

They have plenty of young talent.

Howson is looking just terrible right now. All this waiting and holding off, talking about how he wants ready NHLers in return (not just prospects) and this is what he gets in return. After all those months and the talk about the Rangers young promising players going the other way... Jackets fans must be livid seeing this is what they got for their franchise player.

Of course, both the contract and the fact that Nash wanted out played a big part in this trade ending up the way it did. But the Rangers still have a ton of cap space (14 million according to Cap Geek - same as the Devils, except the Devs just lost their big name player for nothing), so they'll be fine, even when they need to give a raise or two to their young guys.

Hate to say it, but, as much as I consider Nash overrated, this is just a good trade by Sather. I sort of rooted for the Rangers to get Rick because I hoped they would dismantle their team for an overhyped guy, but they were smart. These are OK players they gave up, but come on, nothing impressive in comparison to Nash. And the Jackets actually sent an extra player and a 3rd round pick to NY. That is just awful.

Good, so maybe this offseason our biggest rival will get Rick Nash, our 2nd biggest rival will get Shea Weber and we...well, we lose Zach Parise.

Yeah, I'm not a fan of the "keeping up with the Joneses" philosophy in sports, but when two of our divisional rivals (who we unexpectedly defeated in the playoffs, too) improve and we actually get weaker than last year, I just can't help but hope for the Devils to sign Semin (to a reasonable deal). The battle inside the division is looking bleaker and bleaker.