Preds MATCH offer for Weber

Z-Man

Stunned that such a small market team would do this, but Weber is the real deal good move, just hope the salary cap doesn't kill the team surrounding him.

One one hand the Pred have cap room. On the other, they have five d-men and no first line.

They're not. And the Preds can't trade him for a year anyway.

They won't trade him for at least 2 years:

Bonus #1 due immediately (7/24/12): $13,000,000

2012-2013 salary: $1,000,000

Bonus #2 due first day of league year (7/1/13): $13,000,000

I read somewhere that they couldn't trade him until 7/24/13 (1 year anniversary of the contract). They won't be paying $13,000,000, and then trading him 3 weeks later.

Phewww...bullet dodged, in my mind.

But also, yeah these terms are ridiculous.

2012-13 (age 27): $1 million salary + $13 million signing bonus (league maximum $14M)

2013-14 (28): $1 million salary + $13 million signing bonus (league maximum $14M)

2014-15 (29): $1 million salary + $13 million signing bonus (league maximum $14M)

2015-16 (30): $1 million salary + $13 million signing bonus (league maximum $14M)

2016-17 (31): $4 million salary + $8 million signing bonus (total $12 million)

2017-18 (32): $4 million salary + $8 million signing bonus (total $12 million)

2018-19 (33): $6 million salary

2019-20 (34): $6 million salary

2020-21 (35): $6 million salary

2021-22 (36): $6 million salary

2022-23 (37): $3 million salary

2023-24 (38): $1 million salary

2024-25 (39): $1 million salary

2025-26 (40): $1 million salary

TOTAL: $110 million

That is absurd. Absolutely absurd.

Edited by Devilsfan118

on the same topic... Do you think let's say Zach would have signed an offer sheet last summer before arbitration with Minny that Lou would have matched it ? lets say the same contract that he signed this year?

i really don't know personally (ownership situation asides of course... lets say the money was there)

27 million for a year, so play him 27 minutes every night !

I'm glad he's not in our division next season !!

Doh

Weber earned 7.5 M and averaged 29 minutes nine seconds of ice time last season, second on the team to his former partner, Suter

So play him 35 minutes a night !

Edited by BlueSkirt

on the same topic... Do you think let's say Zach would have signed an offer sheet last summer before arbitration with Minny that Lou would have matched it ? lets say the same contract that he signed this year?

i really don't know personally (ownership situation asides of course... lets say the money was there)

With Minnesota? I wouldn't match it.

I'm happy that Nashville is able to keep him but I hope that doesn't kill their cap flexibility for the next few years. Thrilled that the Devils won't have to be facing him in Philly though!

I wonder if Weber would try to force a trade in a year or two if he is unhappy with the situation in Nashville?

I'm happy that Nashville is able to keep him but I hope that doesn't kill their cap flexibility for the next few years. Thrilled that the Devils won't have to be facing him in Philly though!

I wonder if Weber would try to force a trade in a year or two if he is unhappy with the situation in Nashville?

I'm sure the Rangers are already hatching up a plan

One one hand the Pred have cap room. On the other, they have five d-men and no first line.

Exactly. Even with cap room they are too small a market to spend towards the ceiling. It would not be profitable.

Letting Suter walk was ok, as he not close to the talent of Weber. Trotz is a great coach and they are strong at Center and Goaltending, so I can see them making the playoffs, but beyond they are going to have to pray to Odin that the kids upfront can perform.