Devils sign Bobby Butler

thelastonealive

Still haven't seen this confirmed by anyone reputable, but it's August. Whatever the case, assuming this is true, it's an excellent, low-risk signing of the sort that the Devils don't do enough. Butler's not a 'proven' NHLer, but who cares, neither are half our forwards right now. If they move Kovalchuk back to LW (something I'm not sure they will do), I could see Butler as a decent RW for him.

Ehhh, unless Zajac is the center. I'm under the impression Butler isn't so strong defensively

leaving Kovalchuk on RW, it could go something like this:

Henrique-Zajac-Kovalchuk

Zubrus-Elias-Clarkson

Tedenby-Josefson-Butler

Carter-S. Gionta-Bernier

I mean, it's far from ideal, but unless they get a forward to fill that Tedenby spot, that's what the Devils are looking at heading into the season.

Henrique-Zajac-Kovalchuk

Zubrus-Elias-Clarkson

Tedenby-Josefson-Butler

Carter-S. Gionta-Bernier

I mean, it's far from ideal, but unless they get a forward to fill that Tedenby spot, that's what the Devils are looking at heading into the season.

So I guess this means Sykora will not be re-signed with this signing.

Right but at some point the track record argument doesn't produce. Hell, you can start to see it with Belichick in New England. The Devils need more of an impact player if they want to be significant players again this season. Right now, they're not.

I mean, that sort of thought process is why we're NEVER predicted to be significant players year-in and year-out. Rangers get "impact players" all the time, we don't (minus Kovalchuk); media gets lazy and labels us as a non-threat. I'm not thrilled and over-the-moon excited about this signing, but I'm pretty happy with it. The "go big or go home" mentality that Philly and New York fans (and management) has hasn't really helped their teams out recently; it's all about the little pieces of the puzzle that Lou knows how to assemble, and that's what works for us.

Easy to understate a non-superstar signing; we'll just have to wait and see how it plays out.

Edited by DJ Eco

I mean, that sort of thought process is why we're NEVER predicted to be significant players year-in and year-out. Rangers get "impact players" all the time, we don't (minus Kovalchuk); media gets lazy and labels us as a non-threat. I'm not thrilled and over-the-moon excited about this signing, but I'm pretty happy with it. The "go big or go home" mentality that Philly and New York fans (and management) has hasn't really helped their teams out recently; it's all about the little pieces of the puzzle that Lou knows how to assemble, and that's what works for us.

Easy to understate a non-superstar signing; we'll just have to wait and see how it plays out.

Yeah but you can't just go with 4 lines of average guys. There has to be someone who can be a bigger producer.

Yeah but you can't just go with 4 lines of average guys. There has to be someone who can be a bigger producer.

We have a bunch of guys who are above average, I think this is a very smart signing and he will have a lot to prove and I am sure he will impress a lot of you.

Edited by Zubie#8

Henrique-Zajac-Kovalchuk

Zubrus-Elias-Clarkson

Tedenby-Josefson-Butler

Carter-S. Gionta-Bernier

This makes the Barch signing look even more useless. But I agree, and the Kostitsyn opportunity is starting to look a bit more appealing to me.

This makes the Barch signing look even more useless. But I agree, and the Kostitsyn opportunity is starting to look a bit more appealing to me.

Kovalchuk Zajac Zubrus

Henrique Elias Kostitsyn

Butler Josefson Clarkson

Carter Gionta Bernier

:boogie:

But I doubt Lou will go after AK, I can see him signing Sykora for more depth and that will be it until the season starts.

I'm with you. I'm sick of the spare parts signings. How about we sign someone who can help replace Zach's numbers? Sorry to say it, but Clarkson and Elias will not replicate their numbers from last season....

We really could have used Semin...

So is this another Steve Bernier type guy who had promise and fizzled a bit? If so ... can the kid forecheck?

I think this kid will surprise a lot of people on this board. He had a horrendous start last year and then got injjured. He mainly played on the 4th line after that but still put up 6 goals and 10 assists, and he did have an amazing rookie season so we cannot overlook that. I think the kid will thrive on this team.

Edited by Zubie#8

For those wondering Butler's role:

Tom Gulitti ‏@TGfireandice

Devils GM Lou Lamoriello said Butler's performance will determine if he' on NHL roster or in Albany, but "he'll be given every opportunity."

Also

Tom Gulitti ‏@TGfireandice

Lamoriello feels that Butler has potential to be "a top six forward."

Edited by TheMazz

Butler is a righty, so I think Sykora doesn't need to be signed? Wonder if Butler got any pk time? heard he's pretty fast. Also wonder why Sens (in buying him out) just couldn't bury him in the minors and keep him for a rainy day. I think he'll be good for 15-20 goals?

Butler has some serious sniping skills. He scored 13 goals on the B-Sens cup run two years ago. I can't believe Ottawa bought him out. I know he hasn't put up numbers but he hasnt really had a chance yet either. Good pick up for the Devils if they give him a chance to play with Elias I'd rather not see him with other righty shots.