Well now we know who offered Doan 4 yrs 30M

LOTCB

How anyone could offer him a 4 year deal worth that kind of coin is beyond me. These contracts are out of control. On the flipside, I'm glad the offer is outrageous because it means (a) the Sabres will be forced to release/trade away some players if/when the cap is reduced as part of the next CBA, or (b) teams like the Rangers will have to pay that much more and take a huge risk to sign him, putting them in salary cap peril when the new CBA is signed. The only team really getting F'd by this is the Coyotes, who I feel bad for. He is their franchise, but he's clearly not worth that kind of a contract.

How anyone could offer him a 4 year deal worth that kind of coin is beyond me. These contracts are out of control. On the flipside, I'm glad the offer is outrageous because it means (a) the Sabres will be forced to release/trade away some players if/when the cap is reduced as part of the next CBA, or (b) teams like the Rangers will have to pay that much more and take a huge risk to sign him, putting them in salary cap peril when the new CBA is signed. The only team really getting F'd by this is the Coyotes, who I feel bad for. He is their franchise, but he's clearly not worth that kind of a contract.

I agree....

Well in the FA world I always feel add 33% to what the player is truly worth and here is why: When you sign a FA player, you don't use a draft pick, and you don't trade away any current assets in the organization...so naturally based on these factors, the pay should be higher then what the player is worth.

Having said this: Doan is exactly what the Sabres need. The Sabres lack of leadership has been painfully obvious for the past few years, but at this cost? Do the Sabres truly believe they are ready to win right now? I think the Sabres are closer then some think, but not THAT close.

I agree....

Well in the FA world I always feel add 33% to what the player is truly worth and here is why: When you sign a FA player, you don't use a draft pick, and you don't trade away any current assets in the organization...so naturally based on these factors, the pay should be higher then what the player is worth.

Having said this: Doan is exactly what the Sabres need. The Sabres lack of leadership has been painfully obvious for the past few years, but at this cost? Do the Sabres truly believe they are ready to win right now? I think the Sabres are closer then some think, but not THAT close.

This. Perhaps the terms are bad but this kind of player is EXACTLY what the Sabres need. Someone with character and you won't find a better character player then Shane Doan. Right now their team is made up of a bunch of young guns that don't know sh!t. Doan would be an excellent mentor. That being said those terms are horrid.

This. Perhaps the terms are bad but this kind of player is EXACTLY what the Sabres need. Someone with character and you won't find a better character player then Shane Doan. Right now their team is made up of a bunch of young guns that don't know sh!t. Doan would be an excellent mentor. That being said those terms are horrid.

An excellent mentor yes...

A $7.5 mill/year player...ABSOLUTELY not

Great post.

And what timing for this horrific offer with the lockout looming, Pegula really sets a good example for the owners dosent he? :doh1:

Just happy it wasn't us.

Now let's be reasonable and sign Huselius as a good bet project for 60 pts. Throw 3.5 million at him and call it a summer. Effectively stops the major bleeding, and we'll examine how to improve at the trade deadline. [Let the naysaying ensue about how he's played 41 games over the last 2 seasons... literally is the only talented option left out there who can be had for mid-level money].

• 3 weeks later...