ESPN Uniform Rankings - all sports combined

Z-Man

http://espn.go.com/espn/playbook/story/_/id/8295892/uni-watch-power-rankings-rates-nfl-mlb-nba-nhl-uniforms-1-122

Devils #43 overall, #10 in NHL:

You don't think of the Devils as a bastion of old-fashioned traditionalism, but consider this: They've never had an alternate uniform. It's like they're the Yankees or something! And really, why bother with an alternate design when your basic look is as solid as this one?

Worst in the NHL? #118 Colorado, just ahead of Dallas.

I always thought Colorado had one of the worst designs in the league. I never really got the appeal of it and why a lot of my buddies say it is one of their favorites when I see it as god awful.

I still say the worst one right now is Columbus and a lot of it is due to the sh!tty, unreadable font for the names. Edit: Just saw the rankings and how the hell is Columbus and Minnesota Wild ahead of the Devils!!??

Also I always thought every uniform Atlanta spit out was god awful too.

Honestly, I am also surprised the Devils were ranked 10th in the league. Taking personal bias for and against certain teams, I would place us at about the 5-8 ranking.

Edited by DevsMan84

I've always like Columbus's uniforms, but then again, I'm fond of any design that incorporates local elements (specifically flags), and Ohio really does have one of the best flags in the US.

I think the Devils should probably be a little higher too, but that may be somewhat paying the price for not giving anyone anything new to look at, logo-wise, in the 30 year history of the team (save for switching from green to black 20 years ago). It's probably at that point for most people outside of the fanbase where it's just "old" and not "classic" yet.

Do this poll again in 30 years, with the Devils still making minor changes if any at all to the logo and uniform, and it's ranked in the top 5, maybe top 3.

I've always like Columbus's uniforms, but then again, I'm fond of any design that incorporates local elements (specifically flags), and Ohio really does have one of the best flags in the US.

I think the Devils should probably be a little higher too, but that may be somewhat paying the price for not giving anyone anything new to look at, logo-wise, in the 30 year history of the team (save for switching from green to black 20 years ago). It's probably at that point for most people outside of the fanbase where it's just "old" and not "classic" yet.

Do this poll again in 30 years, with the Devils still making minor changes if any at all to the logo and uniform, and it's ranked in the top 5, maybe top 3.

That probably has a ton of truth to it. Right now the classics are the original 6 and you can probably throw in the 6 original expansion franchises in there too (well the ones left). Every other team that came in the 70's and 80's have had at least a few changes to their jerseys over the years while the Devils only major shift was switching of green to black.

294krnp.jpg

I don't know man, without the black shoulders the black shorts and stripes would look sort of dumb IMO.

Holy crap the first rendition ever.

I personally love it........blasphemy or not. :giggle:

294krnp.jpg

I don't know man, without the black shoulders the black shorts and stripes would look sort of dumb IMO.

Holy crap the first rendition ever.

I personally love it........blasphemy or not. :giggle:

Whoa, how did that happen?

Can you try it with a single black line going around the shoulder area, or something along those lines?

Thanks

Rangers #11 all sports? :puke: HORRID

and once again I say the Devs should lose the horrendous black shoulders, imo. Then it would be top 5

Horrendous? Hey, no such thing as a wrong opinion, we all like what we like...I just don't see what's so horrendous about them. I would say if anything, you could outline the upper black portion with white piping, but I wouldn't touch the Devils' jersey...I like that there's only really been three real variations to date:

Red, white and green with a "thinner" number font

Red, white and green with a "bolder" number font (I think '87-'88 is when they made that change)

Red, white and black with the same font throughout (of course, we have the "edge" version now)

Horrendous? Hey, no such thing as a wrong opinion, we all like what we like...I just don't see what's so horrendous about them. I would say if anything, you could outline the upper black portion with white piping, but I wouldn't touch the Devils' jersey...I like that there's only really been three real variations to date:

Red, white and green with a "thinner" number font

Red, white and green with a "bolder" number font (I think '87-'88 is when they made that change)

Red, white and black with the same font throughout (of course, we have the "edge" version now)

There was also a change in the late 80's where the red part of the shoulder yolk got bigger with the white and green border around it getting thinner/smaller. You can see this difference if you compare the jerseys from 82-84 to jerseys from 89-92.

For my money, the Blackhawks have the best jerseys in sports. Particularly a fan of their white "road" jerseys.

Not shocked that this list was weighted towards the Original 6 (most of which weren't even the "original members" of the league when it began play in 1917). Everything this league does is geared around those teams.

For my money, the Blackhawks have the best jerseys in sports. Particularly a fan of their white "road" jerseys.

Not shocked that this list was weighted towards the Original 6 (most of which weren't even the "original members" of the league when it began play in 1917). Everything this league does is geared around those teams.

Traditional tends to win in these type of contests because when you think hockey, you picture players in original six jerseys and not San Jose, Nashville, etc.

One day when I have nothing to do I would love to create a topic where we can list our favorite NHL jerseys. I would even include jerseys of teams that later moved or folded.