NHL.com's Top 10 Captains of All-Time

Revan

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=640779&navid=DL|NHL|home

Alright, so I usually don't like crying about the media hating us and don't get my panties in a bunch every time we get omited somewhere, but this article... Well, just see for yourselves, I won't spoil it for you.

Okay, I can't help it: look out Stevens' name on the list. Then find Lemieux. Then Sakic. ...Then Crosby.

Nice example of zero-competence hockey writing.

Can't complain about the top 6, but how they could include Doan and fvcking CROSBY over Stevens is just shocking. The NHL is a joke, from Bettman on down. If hockey wasn't such a great game, I'd have stopped watching because of how stupid every fvcking aspect of this league is.

Can't complain about the top 6, but how they could include Doan and fvcking CROSBY over Stevens is just shocking. The NHL is a joke, from Bettman on down. If hockey wasn't such a great game, I'd have stopped watching because of how stupid every fvcking aspect of this league is.

Yep, I say it every time...best sport, worst run league.

Hi everyone, first time poster here.

During the '05 Lockout, TSN did a roundtable discussion with Scotty Bowman, Mike Keenan, Don Cherry, Wayne Gretzky, Stan Fischler, Dick Irvin, Bob Nicholson, and Brian McFarlane, where each was asked who their top 5 captains of all time would be. Messier didn't get any votes, and Keenan even told an inquiring fan that Messier didn't deserve his vote. Also of note, was that Scotty Bowman didn't vote for Yzerman. He actually voted for Sakic instead.

I can't find the video online, but someone posted the final results on various message boards:

Scott Bowman (Hall of Fame NHL Coach)

1. Maurice Richard

2. Wayne Gretzky

3. Mario Lemieux

4. Jean Beliveau

5. Joe Sakic

Mike Keenan (Former NHL Coach)

1. Maurice Richard

2. Wayne Gretzky

3. Bobby Clarke

4. Jean Beliveau

5. Steve Yzerman

Don Cherry (Former NHL PLayer/Coach)

1. Wayne Gretzky

2. Bobby Clarke

3. George Armstrong

4. Maurice Richard

5. John Bucyk

Stan Fischler (Hall of Fame NHL Journalist/Author)

1. Maurice Richard

2. Wayne Gretzky

3. Jean Beliveau

4. George Armstrong

5. Brian Sutter

Dick Irvin (Hall of Fame NHL Broadcaster/Author)

1. Maurice Richard

2. Jean Beliveau

3. Bobby Clarke

4. Mario Lemieux

5. Dave Keon

Bob Nicholson (Director, Hockey Canada)

1. Maurice Richard

2. Wayne Gretzky

3. Mario Lemieux

4. Denis Potvin

5. Bobby Clarke

Brian McFarlane (Hall of Fame NHL Broadcaster/Author)

1. Maurice Richard

2. Mario Lemieux

3. Jean Beliveau

4. Wayne Gretzky

5. Ray Bourque

Wayne Gretzky (Hall of Fame Player)

1. Jean Beliveau

2. Maurice Richard

3. Bobby Clarke

4. Mario Lemieux

5. Yvan Cournoyer

1. Maurice Richard (6-1-0-1-0) 36 pts

2. Wayne Gretzky (1-4-0-1-0) 27 pts

3. Jean Beliveau (1-1-3-0-0) 21 pts

4. Bobby Clarke (0-1-4-1-1) 19 pts

5. Mario Lemieux (0-1-1-2-0) 11 pts

6. George Armstrong (0-0-0-2-0) 4 pts

7. Yvan Cournoyer (0-0-0-1-1) 3 pts

8. Dave Keon (0-0-0-0-1) 1 pt

9. John Bucyk (0-0-0-0-1) 1 pt

10. Joe Sakic (0-0-0-0-1) 1 pt

11. Steve Yzerman (0-0-0-0-1) 1 pt

12. Brian Sutter (0-0-0-0-1) 1 pt

13. Ray Bourque (0-0-0-0-1) 1 pt

I'd say that that's a solid top 5, and it's refreshing to see that the true experts don't buy into the Messier hype.

@thehockeygods44: That's a very interesting list. Hard to believe even Fischler didn't pick Messier. On the other hand, none of those people picked Stevens, either.

I think it's pretty obvious who should be asked that question: the players. There is so much going on between the captain and the rest of the team that we never see (except for those few months of some teams' lives HBO 24/7 captures the last few years) it's really hard to truly value some of those guys who aren't all that flashy on the ice, but great in the locker room. Even making lists like "Top 10 Goalies of All Time" isn't obvious and sparks controversy every time, yet alone preparing that sort of stuff for captains.

Ray Bourque really? Great player but a great leader? Great player doesn't always = great leader.

What sport have you watched? Despite not winning a Cup in Boston, Bourque was a true leader of that team. But I guess running up against the Edmonton buzzsaw twice doesn't mean much. Any other team in the Cup Final, and the Bruins are winning twice.