The Devils = Quite popular with Mexican wrestlers

ghdi

http://deadspin.com/5940663/?utm_campaign=socialflow_deadspin_twitter&utm_source=deadspin_twitter&utm_medium=socialflow

In October 1995, the new big thing among all of the hardcore wrestling fans of the day is ECW and their monthly shows at the ECW Arena in South Philadelphia. I happen to be at the hotel where the ECW crew is staying (the Travelodge, or as it came to be known, the Cylinder of Sin) waiting as we're about to go to the show when a small Hispanic man, who looks all of 16 years old, comes up to me and compliments my New Jersey Devils hockey jersey. I thank him and he walks off, not thinking anything of this interaction, other than thinking it was weird to get complimented for wearing Devils gear in South Philly. My friend, who had done some photography work at a Mexican wrestling show the year before, comes up to me and informs me that the guy was none other than Mexican high-flyer and future WWE champion Rey Mysterio.

Fast forward to intermission at the ECW show. I'm standing around talking to some friends when the man who is promoting Mexican wrestling shows in the US at the time, former radio show host John Arezzi, comes over to me and informs me that both Rey Mysterio and Psicosis like my jersey and are willing to trade me the masks they wore tonight in exchange for the jersey, and it's my choice who to trade with. It took me about three seconds to say yes and me being 16, I tell him I want the cooler looking mask...Psicosis.

I go behind the curtain with Arezzi, and Psicosis comes out with a towel on his face to protect his identity. He points out that the mask is autographed, and was clearly match-worn as it has the smell of used sports equipment. I hand him my jersey, thank him very much, and go back out to watch the rest of the show with my new trophy.

The cool thing is, I've seen matches from Mexico years later with Psicosis wearing my hockey jersey, so he clearly liked it. A few weeks later, I went to a Mexican wrestling show in Chicago, and damn if Rey Mysterio wasn't wearing a Devils jersey of his own. Who knew the Devils were so popular south of the border when they can't even sell out their own rink?

Of course, Rey turned out to be the far bigger star of the two, so I kick myself every now and then for not going for his mask. But I still have a pretty cool mask, which now sits in a display case in my basement, and I have a good story to tell, so I can't complain about that.

There was a period in the mid 90's when it seemed the Devils logo was invading much of the urban culture as well. Saw tons of t-shirts, hats and even some jerseys around as well.

Hell the main character of the movie New Jersey Drive that came out around that time period wears a Devils jersey for a portion of the movie.

There was a period in the mid 90's when it seemed the Devils logo was invading much of the urban culture as well. Saw tons of t-shirts, hats and even some jerseys around as well.

Hell the main character of the movie New Jersey Drive that came out around that time period wears a Devils jersey for a portion of the movie.

Angelina Jolie wore a Devils jersey in Hackers, which came out in '95 too I think.

Edited by MadDog2020

if you scroll, down you see steve austin with a fanny pack. i would never laugh in his face for wearing it :ECW:

Wrestlers love fanny packs. Keeps all their stuff together when working out. My cousin in law Steve who is a big guy and I would be afraid of if he came at me lemnted how fanny packs are considered so uncool with how convenient it is

Wrestlers love fanny packs. Keeps all their stuff together when working out. My cousin in law Steve who is a big guy and I would be afraid of if he came at me lemnted how fanny packs are considered so uncool with how convenient it is

Great place to keep an off duty gun.

;)