Retired Numbers

koufax75

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would like to know which numbers have been retired by the New Jersey Devils..

Then, which numbers will be retired in the future?

I think:

- 4 Stevens

- 30 Brodeur

Maybe, 27 Niedermayer (if he stays with the Devils).

Definitely the following:

Stevens: 4

Brodeur: 30

Dano: 3

I am not sure about Neids...If he doesn't leave then maybe :unsure:

I don't think #3 gets retired. I think Lou is a guy that only retires numbers in extreme cases so right now I think the only person I am looking at maybe getting their number retired is #30 and he has to still play for the Devils for a while longer.

-Scott

I might not rememebr this correctly, but i thought LL all but promised the dano's numebr would be reitred during and interview w/ fatso & Fruitloops....

Maybe, I don't really listen to those two. Could Lou have been talking about having a night to honor Dano where lots of people thought his number was also going to be retired that night?

-Scott

LL once said that the first Devil number to be retired will be Johnny Mac's... this was years ago, obviously. I'll try and find the article. Anyway, I firmly believe that in the next few years NO NUMBERS will be retired unless something tragic happens.

Everyone is posting about retiring #30... I mean geeeeze... at least act like the guy is still playing (for a lot more years I hope)! HAHA.

I would like to know which numbers have been retired by the New Jersey Devils..

Then, which numbers will be retired in the future?

I think:

- 4 Stevens

- 30 Brodeur

Maybe, 27 Niedermayer (if he stays with the Devils).

Don't forget Sergei Brylin #18

if lou was gonna retire #3 (in my opinion the most deserving out of any devil past or present) he should have done it on "dano" night or whatever. but as long as no one else wears #3 for the devils im pretty happy. it would be nice honor him by hanging his jersey from the rafters though.

if lou was gonna retire #3 (in my opinion the most deserving out of any devil past or present) he should have done it on "dano" night or whatever. but as long as no one else wears #3 for the devils im pretty happy. it would be nice honor him by hanging his jersey from the rafters though.

Nah, he's going to have the Dano Retired Number Night. Business wise, it makes absolutely perfect sense. 2 sellouts.

Daneyko's number is going to hang in the rafters. Lou promised it, and the fans want it. It'll happen.

Marty's number goes up too, so long as his eventual parting of ways with the franchise is a bit more friendly than Johnny Mac's.

Stevens will also have his number up there, no questions asked.

Nieds winning the Norris elevates him into a different kind of player. I think that helps him in the retired-number quest. If it were up to me, I'd do it.

I'd retire Nos. 3, 30, 4, 27 and maybe 15 if enough time has passed. Oh, and 32, because after Lakovic, Steve Thom-ass and Jon Morris, no good can come from it.

<JESTER>

I might not rememebr this correctly, but i thought LL all but promised the dano's numebr would be reitred during and interview w/ fatso & Fruitloops....

Maybe, I don't really listen to those two. Could Lou have been talking about having a night to honor Dano where lots of people thought his number was also going to be retired that night?

-Scott

No the interview was after Dano's night....

they asked the question will it ever get retired and I thought he said something like that is something we are planning for the future..... again this was back a ways and I dodn't remember exactly...

Daneyko should be first on the rafters, then Stevens, then Brodeur, then Brylin.

(and nieds, and elias!)

As far as I know, no numbers have been retired by the NJD.

Brylin??? I know he's been on all 3 cup teams but retiring his number is a bit much...

• 2 weeks later...

I know some folks disgree, but I dont think #15 should be raised. He asked out of NJ because of his diminishing role. Asking to be traded anywhere to get out of NJ

doesnt get your# retired. Not to diminish what he did early on in his career.

vince

That was covered here:

http://njdevs.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=13069&hl=

Lou and the coaching staff stabbed Mr. Devil in the back.

I have heard a LOT of people over the years saying that if he was a REAL Devil he would have accepted a diminished role with the Devils rather than ask to go to another team.

I KNOW I would never do that. I know most of you wouldn't do that. If you knew you were good at your job and could continue to do that job but your employer came to you and said, well, we really need someone to scrub the toilets, I know I'd be out there. I wouldn't accept the demotion out of loyalty. Do I love the place where I work? Yes. Do I like my co-workers? Yes. Would I take being demoted or them giving me a reduced role? No F'n way.

It's really quite a paradox. We Devils fans love players that play with heart. Guys that want to give it their all. Guys that want to contribute. Guys that want to play hockey for the sake of playing hockey. Here is a case where the Devils believed they didn't need John very much, drastically cut his playing time and didn't put him out on the PP. And John wasn't happy about it. This wasn't unproven Mike Danton crying about ice time - this is the man who STILL holds the Devils record for points. If the Devils couldn't give him the ice time, then he asked to be traded to somewhere where he WOULD get the ice time. He wanted to give more. He wanted to contribute. He WANTED TO PLAY HOCKEY. And we spit on him for it?

Apparently we like guys who drink the Kool-aid more than we like the guys with heart.

I think both Lemaire and Lou screwed up. John had 29 goals the year before. Okay, maybe that's not the 40 goals he used to get, but TWENTY-NINE goals is nothing to sneeze at. Certainly deserving of power-play time. We give John more playing time, I don't think we go out in the first round that year. Just for your information, John finished second on the Sharks in points, ahead of Owen Nolan and Patrick Marleau.

I, as John, have forgiven Lemaire and Lou for this mistake. I'm still mad at Lou for the Gilmour trade, but that's been debated already. But it seems that everyone has made up on this issue except Devils fans that still hold a grudge because John stood up for himself.

Oh, and one other thing - when he signed on with Dallas, he said, "I'm happy to join the Stars. I was hoping another team would call, but I'm more than happy to be joining a strong Dallas team."

Given that when his career was over he showed up in NEW JERSEY - not as a coach, but on his OWN TIME to help out the young players, I'm pretty sure he meant the Devils. When Lou saw what a good job he was doing with the players, he hired him on as an assistant coach.

From the Keepers thread, April 22 2004:

And I will defend John MacLeans honour to the death!! Even the trade demand!! :rant:

I take my job very seriously. :)

Lou and the coaching staff stabbed Mr. Devil in the back.

I have heard a LOT of people over the years saying that if he was a REAL Devil he would have accepted a diminished role with the Devils rather than ask to go to another team.

You know, I actually have a MUCH MUCH bigger problem with him signing with the Rangers as a UFA than when he asked for a trade, but I digress.

Obviously he and Lou have buried whatever hatchet they had, so one of these days his number may well go up after all.

Also retired should be #27 and #18

Nieder I could see, especially if he captained the team to (another) Cup in the next four or five years.

No. 18, while a nice thought, will never be retired officially. I would like to see the Devils keep it out of circulation for a while if Brylin ever leaves, but I think the rafters are reserved for Hall of Fame players (like Stevens and Marty) or team standard bearers (like Dano and MacLean).

<JESTER>

I don't think Brylin's been in enough games. Through most of the late 90's he was injured more often than playing. So while he has been with the team for a long time, he hasn't always played many games. This last season was the first time I played the full slate of games.

All together he has played 519 games. Dano played far more than double that.

Though I do give him bonus points for being the quintessential Devil.