Retired Numbers

koufax75

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Brylin's number 18 will never be retired and it shouldn't. It's a nice thought but there is no way its happening. I think whenever Jamie leaves that number 15 should be retired but 4 and 3 will probably be up first. 27 will not be retired if this season ends up being his last with us. 30 is going up there as well.

Edited by NJDEVILICEONFIRE

Well how come a few years ago the Rats wanted to retire the #4 in honor of Gordie Kinner and he told us no he will not allow # to be retired?

Yeah bologna he does not deserve it. He was probaly the best defensman to ever where a Albany Riverrat uniform. So yes he did deserve it.

I mean give me a break look at his stats. In 406 games played he had 17 goals and 68 assists for a total of 85 points and he had 1,094 PIM. In the playoffs he played in 44 games had 2 goals and 5 assists for a total of 7 points and 113 PIM. He played solid defense and he was good for fighting and taking penalties. But there is no way he is worthy of having his number retired.

I mean give me a break look at his stats. In 406 games played he had 17 goals and 68 assists for a total of 85 points and he had 1,094 PIM. In the playoffs he played in 44 games had 2 goals and 5 assists for a total of 7 points and 113 PIM. He played solid defense and he was good for fighting and taking penalties. But there is no way he is worthy of having his number retired.

Those are probably better stats than mr Devil himself had (though he played a LOT of more games)

He's a defenseman. He's not supposed to rack up points.

With all due respect, IceOnFire, you have no idea what you're talking about. By your own admission, you follow the Phantoms more than the River Rats. Thus, you're only going by what hockeydb.com says with no reference to history. Here's what you need to know about Geordie Kinnear:

- He was twice the Rats' all-time leader in games played. Steve Brule overtook him in the 1999-2000 season, and Champ regained the lead when he returned to the Rats the next season briefly before being forced into retirement. Jiri Bicek surpassed Kinnear in games played this past season.

- He is the Rats' all-time leader in penalty minutes (1094), though he'll soon lose that mantle to Rob Skrlac (1013).

- He was an original River Rat and was the last of that 93-94 squad to move on to greener pastures.

- He played on the 1994-95 Calder Cup championship team.

- He was the captain of the River Rats for three seasons (1996-99).

- He was chosen to play in four consecutive AHL All-Star Games (1995-1999) (though I think he had to miss one of them due to injury).

- His leadership qualities were so valued by Lou that he reacquired Geordie in 2000 to help teach a young, struggling River Rats team.

- After retiring in 2000 for medical reasons, he stuck around as an unofficial assistant coach rather than going back to Ontario and feeling sorry for himself. He became a full-fledged member of the coaching staff during that offseason.

So maybe he wasn't the biggest scorer ever. Like I said, he was a defenseman, scoring wasn't really a high priority for him. I see Kinnear as kinda like our version of Ken Daneyko: wasn't always in the spotlight, but he was consistent and his leadership was unquestionable. And it seems like the "retire Daneyko's 3" sentiment is pretty strong here, so hopefully you can see where we're coming from on Kinnear.

And people do not understand that. People that did not see him play all the time say well he only did this or he only did that. No this man did everything for the Rats. Like RowdyFan42 said he was our version of Ken Daneyko. He did not score alot but he knew how to play the game.

With all due respect, IceOnFire, you have no idea what you're talking about.  By your own admission, you follow the Phantoms more than the River Rats.  Thus, you're only going by what hockeydb.com says with no reference to history.  Here's what you need to know about Geordie Kinnear:

And I don't just follow the Phantoms I follow the rats just as closely. I go to all the Rats games in Philly, Bridgeport, and Wilkes-Barre and I have been doing that for years. Which adds up to at least 20 games. I never by my own admission said I follow the phantoms more than the rats. I said

Everyone tells me I should root for the Rats. But they way I see it 1hr to Philly is a lot closer than 3hrs to Albany.

I don't root for the Rats, I root for the Phantoms but I follow them just as closely. Theres a difference.

I see it but still don't agree with it so we could argue about this forever.

But we saw him play all the time so we know we are right. I mean do not get me wrong I am not trying to disrespeact you or fight with you but he does deserve it.

The number was not retired. It was "honored", much like the Maple Leafs do with their numbers. (Apparently one must die tragically to get one's number retired in Toronto.) And it took a while to get to this point. At first Lou wouldn't hear of any ceremony to honor Kinnear; it's all part of Lou's "the team is more important than any one player" stance. It took quite a lot of convincing to allow Lou to give the go-ahead for Geordie Kinnear Night, and even then he wouldn't let the Rats retire #4.

This goes back to the long-running dispute on these boards about what the Devils should do when Stevens and Brodeur retire. Some are for retiring some numbers, others are completely against the concept.