Andre Zyuzin Placed On Waivers

Blackjack

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Spectors doesn't have any groundbreaking news on it or anything, but here's his take on it...

DEVILS COULD WAIVE ZYUZIN.

NEW YORK POST: Mark (N)Єverson reports the New Jersey Devils have been unable to trade little-used defenceman Andrei Zyuzin, and could end up placing him on waivers. (N)Єverson claims Zyuzin was "linked in trade talks for Florida's Valeri Bure".

Spector's Note: The only trade talk regarding a "Zyuzin-for-Bure" trade has come from (N)Єverson of the Post. He overlooks several facts in keeping this rumour alive. Bure is estranged from his father, who works for the Devils. Think he wants to play there? Panthers GM Rick Dudley had Zyuzin play for him in Tampa Bay, and was so impressed, he promptly peddled Zyuzin off to the Devils for practically nothing. Think Duds will have a change of heart? Hey, maybe the Devils could offer Zyuzin to the Flames for Savard?

so he was shopping Zyuz and nobody was willing to give up anybody of value. oh well. Maybe Lou thinks somebody from Albany is ready to take his place like Mikko Jokela or Ray Giroux. Giroux has been doing well, 9 gp, 4 goals, 8 assists for 12 pts and a +3.

Silly deal.

Can't say I didn't see this coming.

What's interesting is that the Wild were probably one of the last teams that had a chance to acquire Zyuzin, considering their record.

I'm just not sure why Lou gave him away. Surely the Devils could have received a late round pick. My guess is that Lou figured he could sneak Zyuzin down to the minors without anyone grabbing him? I don't know. It just doesn't seem to make sense.

Why? Why? Why?

Because Lou got rid of a $1,000,000.00 salary.

Because Lou has Abelien to play as 7th D and he's getting $1,000,000.00

Because Lou just couldn't make a deal for Zyuzin alone and he can't afford to give up much else.

In hind sight it turns out that Zyuzin was a BAD original trade, happen, especially when trade are made for cheapness.

Oh, here's this one again..

This has nothing to do with Albelin.

Albelin was here before Zyuzin, and had Zyuzin played better than Albelin, Albelin would've been gone. Remember, it was Albelin who was cut from the team, not Zyuzin.

Albelin actually opened the door for the Zyuzin deal.. if not for Tommy A, Boumdienne or Goc would've been the Devils 6th defenseman to begin the 2001-02 season. Trading those two would've left our defensive depth to be nothing... Mike Commodore would've been it, then Andre Lakos. I don't have much faith in that. Now the Devils have Albelin and Sutton.. not awful, but not great either.

don't you think that if lou could've traded him for a pick, he would've done it? nobody was willing to give up a pick for him.

i'm kind of dissappointed though. first salomonson, now zyuzin. i guess this means niedermayer will be sticking around, unfortunately .... it's a strange move.

Doesn't mean that at all brylin.. I doubt there's a team in the NHL that can give fair value for Niedermayer just by dealing forwards.. I kept trying to look for one, and it's not possible.

A team that wants Niedermayer will have to deal a very good 2nd line wing and probably a #3 defenseman.

This might increase the chances of a Niedermayer deal, as the Devils just dumped a million dollars in salary.

That's 1.5 million cleared out by Lou. I can't help but think that something's brewing on the trade horizon.

I don't understand, DM.

Think about it, if Zyuzin were going to play when Niedermayer left, then the Devils would have to receive only forwards in rreturn for Niedermayer.

What team can afford to give up that kind of forward for Niedermayer? Most of us agree that Niedermayer is, if not a top 10 defenseman, is a top 20 defenseman in the league. He can play 25 minutes of effective hockey. He's solid on the defensive end and has serious potential on the offensive end. There's no way a team can afford to lose 30 or 40 goals to pick up a Niedermayer, though.. and that's the price that they would have to pay. Plus, they'd probably have a backloaded backline.. who can afford to just stick 25 minutes worth of ice time on their defense and not have a logjam of some kind?

I don't want to say this makes a Niedermayer deal more likely, but it did clear up a million dollars worth of salary..

Now this one hurts.

I agree.

I understand why it was done.

I liked the guy. I wish he had gotten more playing time last year. But the Tivo deal really freed up Lou to get rid him. And I'm sure the organization feels more comfy with the vet at backup -- and some kids coming through the ranks.