Brodeur on Lockouts

Zubie#8

http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/id/19376/brodeur

"I counted it up the other day, it’s going to be well over 100 games that I lost in the NHL because of work stoppages...I know I’m closing doors in Europe now because I’m going to wait a little bit, but I’d like to go somewhere to play by November if I can get an opportunity somewhere."
"that was foremost the first reason why Lou and I didn’t agree on a one-year deal, because I kept telling him that I needed a guarantee I would play hockey," Brodeur said. "At my age, if I go through a whole lockout without a contract, it would have been tough for me to sign for the value I thought I was worth. So I debated with Lou a long time.
Edited by Zubie#8

Pretty amazing to think that he would probably be over 700 wins by now if not for the 94/95 and 04/05 lockouts.

That's one of MANY reasons as to why all of these strikes/lockouts are so annoying...great players losing prime years of their careers to this crap, and seeing their numbers suffer. How lame does it look in the record books that now one and potentially a second season might never be played?

I don't think we can say this with any kind of certainty. It's possible that sitting out for a full season extended his career.

Well, duh, no can say for sure what might have happened, who knows, he could've suffered a career-ending injury in 2004-2005 had that season happened, and that would have been that...who knows? Just sucks that we have to have these "What if?" conversations at all. One thing to lose 40% or so of a season in '95, but to lose a whole friggin' season in 2004-2005... :puke:

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

I don't think we can say this with any kind of certainty. It's possible that sitting out for a full season extended his career.

It's possible, but I think it's pretty obvious that Marty is a rare breed. Only a handful of goalies play as long as he did and maintained similar numbers throughout. He had 403 wins going into 2004-05. Assuming he had 40 wins on 2004-05 (which is what he averaged the 5 seasons prior), he would be at 443 at 33 years of age. Then, add the 15 wins he probably lost in 1995, and you're at 458. He gets 44 then 48 in 05-06 and 06-07. Now we are at 550. Now, in actuality, he has 44 wins in 2007-08, before his injury season of 2009-2010.

But if we go your way and assume his body breaks down a little earlier, maybe that stays at 20. Now we are at 570 and he is 36. Now, in actuality he bounced back with a 45 win season. That takes us to 615 at age 37. Assuming you are right and he can't do the 40 wins thing anymore after this, lets say he averages 30 wins a season until he is 40 (his age at the end of this past season), which is obviously very possible. He would be at 705.

There ya go. We can say hypothetically that he could be over 700 wins. Jeez. You coulda just said 'yeah, it's a shame about the work stoppages.'

• Like 2

It's possible, but I think it's pretty obvious that Marty is a rare breed. Only a handful of goalies play as long as he did and maintained similar numbers throughout. He had 403 wins going into 2004-05. Assuming he had 40 wins on 2004-05 (which is what he averaged the 5 seasons prior), he would be at 443 at 33 years of age. Then, add the 15 wins he probably lost in 1995, and you're at 458. He gets 44 then 48 in 05-06 and 06-07. Now we are at 550. Now, in actuality, he has 44 wins in 2007-08, before his injury season of 2009-2010.

But if we go your way and assume his body breaks down a little earlier, maybe that stays at 20. Now we are at 570 and he is 36. Now, in actuality he bounced back with a 45 win season. That takes us to 615 at age 37. Assuming you are right and he can't do the 40 wins thing anymore after this, lets say he averages 30 wins a season until he is 40 (his age at the end of this past season), which is obviously very possible. He would be at 705.

There ya go. We can say hypothetically that he could be over 700 wins. Jeez. You coulda just said 'yeah, it's a shame about the work stoppages.'

I applaud you in breaking this out and using the word 'if', only once :)

Fantastic post.

That's not how it works. Brodeur became better at age 35. That's really rare. Before the lockout, Brodeur averaged 89.6 games per season - I feel pretty comfortable saying that's the highest 5 year stretch in NHL history. He then had a 0 start season - he didn't play overseas, either. I'm not talking about career-ending injuries, I'm talking about a decline in play that typically occurs when a goalie is Brodeur's age. The Devils leaned on him way harder coming out of the lockout and he was better.

That's not how it works. Brodeur became better at age 35. That's really rare. Before the lockout, Brodeur averaged 89.6 games per season - I feel pretty comfortable saying that's the highest 5 year stretch in NHL history. He then had a 0 start season - he didn't play overseas, either. I'm not talking about career-ending injuries, I'm talking about a decline in play that typically occurs when a goalie is Brodeur's age. The Devils leaned on him way harder coming out of the lockout and he was better.

How is that not how a hypothetical situation works? You said it wasn't certain, and I showed a way that it could be possible while including the possibility of more wear and tear because of additional games played. He was 33 in 2005, with a hypothetical 458 wins. This means, if his better years were still ahead of him (better at 35), he could very possibly be at 700 wins now, had there not been a lockout. I also included the 'lost' season due to injury. It's a simple statement, and one that is most definitely possible.