2013 Yankees Season

thefiestygoat

NoMaas had some stats before last night's game that really illustrates how much the pitching has carried the team this season and how sh!tty the offense is:

Pitching

ERA: 3.66 (4th in AL)
FIP: 3.65 (3rd in AL)
xFIP: 3.65 (2nd in AL)
WAR: 9.5 (3rd in AL)

Hitting
wRC+: 89 (4th-worst in AL)
wOBA: .306 (5th-worst in AL)
OBP: .307 (4th-worst in AL)
Runs/game: 4.0 (5th-worst in AL)

Not a surprise but really does reinforce how fortunate/lucky they've been this year. I just worry that some of that will run out.

Also to modify this post of theirs with up to date numbers:

Hal: “Brian, you cannot bring on anyone for more than 1 year, except…”

Wells: .237/.283/.399 .296 wOBA 82 wRC+ 
Ichiro: .259/.298/.332 .273 wOBA 66 wRC+

Metrics rank them both around league average defensively which I feel is true for Ichiro but I'd put Wells a little below league average. Really can't wait for Granderson to get back. Gardner is having another solid year which has been awesome: .286/.350/.452 .349 wOBA 118 wRC+, leading the team with 2.2 WAR (numbers prior to last night)

• 3 weeks later...

Warning, I gotta vent a bit:

Even with Swisher getting off to a slow start...

Nick Swisher: .325 wOBA, 108 wRC+. 1.1 WAR
Yankees RF: .291 wOBA, 79 wRC+, 0.1 WAR
Yankees 1B: .299 wOBA, 84 wRC+, -0.1 WAR

Russell Martin: .335 wOBA, 115 wRC+, 2.4 WAR
Yankees Catchers: .280 wOBA, 71 wRC+, 0.7 WAR

I'm just glad that Hal can keep lining his pockets while his country club of a stadium stays empty.

While the pitching has been carrying this team this year...

Yankees pitching staff 3rd in WAR (11.3), 10th in ERA (3.77), 8th in FIP (3.73), 6th in xFIP (3.74), 3rd in K/BB (3.07).

The offense has been atrocious with the exception of a few players...

Yankees only have 3 above average hitters by wRC+ (min. 150 PA): Cano (126), Gardner (116), Hafner (106).

Yankees offense now down to 26th in wOBA (.297) and 27th in wRC+ (83).

Overall only 2 position players have been any good...

Amongst Yankees position players only Gardner (2.7) and Cano (2.2) have a WAR above 1. Next closest is Ichiro (0.8).

It's one thing to suck because you're not good. It's another thing when your owner doesn't give a sh!t about the on field product.

• 4 weeks later...

Yankees finally make a move to improve this weak team. Welcome back Alfonso Soriano!

NY Post

In dire need of a bat with thump and an indication the Yankees may believe that Alex Rodriguez isn’t going to play this season, the toothless Bombers are close to acquiring Alfonso Soriano from the Cubs, The Post has learned.

According to a person familiar with the talks, the Cubs will pay the bulk of what is left on Soriano’s contract. He makes $18 million this year and the same for next season.

Like they did in the Vernon Wells deal, whatever the Yankees pay will be laid out for the little more than the $6 million remaining Soriano’s contract this season. That way the Yankees aren’t on the hook for money next year when they want to get the payroll to $189 million. Soriano has a no-trade clause, but he would not block a deal to put him back in Pinstripes.

In return the Cubs will get a mid-level prospect.

First off, Soriano may not be good but at least he's not Vernon Wells. Comparing him to the Yankees LF's this season and he is an upgrade, even though he's been in decline.

- Soriano hitting .256/.286/.471 .323 wOBA, 100 wRC+. Upgrade over Yankees LF's who hit  .243/.291/.359 .286 wOBA, 76 wRC+.

- Soriano has hit LHP well this year (.355 wOBA, 123 wRC+). Yankees vs. LHP this year (.287 wOBA, 77 wRC+).

- Soriano has also been decent in LF (4.3 UZR, 7.6 UZR/150). Yankees LF's were (6.1 UZR, 10.1 UZR/150) so about even in the field.

- Soriano's WAR coming into last night was 1.3. Yankees LF's were 0.3.

Apparently this won't impact the 2014 budget so I guess I can't complain. He isn't some amazing pick up but considering the offensive blackhole they had with Wells this does upgrade them a decent amount. I'm very happy that they just did something considering how lifeless this team has been. I wanted Nate Schierholtz since he's better and fairly cheap and a free agent to be but I'll take what I can get at this point.

EDIT for a good point from River Ave Blues:

Following what has become an annual slow start, he’s put up a .300/.326/.744 (186 wRC+) line with ten homers over the last 30 days.

Edited by thefiestygoat

And the Biogenesis rumor mill begins:

https://twitter.com/JimBowdenESPNxm/status/359796316613775361

If that's the case, then it looks like Hal will make his 189 MM budget after all, depending on how long the appeal process lasts and whether the Soriano trade goes down with minimal salary committed by NY.

Edited by Hi, I'm VALUE!

Seems like the NY Post may have jumped the gun slightly. Soriano trade doesn't appear as close as they made it sound, though still possible.

Re: Biogenesis
A-Rod being suspended for most of, if not all of 2014 would actually be great for the Yankees. Hal gets to be cheap and they'll free up $25M from that to go towards Cano and hopefully other improvements. Any suspension of A-Rod this year would hurt the Yankees since they desperately need him back but I expect him to try to delay a suspension as long as possible since his salary goes down every year. One thing for certain, I'm sure it will get messy like it always does with him.

I don't expect a lifetime ban but I'd welcome it. Yankees get out of that horrendous deal that Levine anchored the franchise to against Cashman's wishes and we as fans get rid of this headache. I don't even care about steroids at all - I'm just sick of A-Rod. Be gone!

Seems like the NY Post may have jumped the gun slightly. Soriano trade doesn't appear as close as they made it sound, though still possible.

Re: Biogenesis

A-Rod being suspended for most of, if not all of 2014 would actually be great for the Yankees. Hal gets to be cheap and they'll free up $25M from that to go towards Cano and hopefully other improvements. Any suspension of A-Rod this year would hurt the Yankees since they desperately need him back but I expect him to try to delay a suspension as long as possible since his salary goes down every year. One thing for certain, I'm sure it will get messy like it always does with him.

I don't expect a lifetime ban but I'd welcome it. Yankees get out of that horrendous deal that Levine anchored the franchise to against Cashman's wishes and we as fans get rid of this headache. I don't even care about steroids at all - I'm just sick of A-Rod. Be gone!

Could not agree with you more. i want Arod off my team so fvcking bad.  being able to dodge the rest of that contract would do wonders.

but, unfortunately, theres no way its the death penalty

https://twitter.com/ChrisCotillo/status/360543076202192896

"#Cubs scratch Alfonso Soriano from the lineup and a deal to the #Yankees is close, according to manager Dale Sveum."

I'm about to head out so I'll have to catch up on how much the Cubs are covering in the contract later. No word on the prospect going back but I doubt it's anything much to care about.

Now go out and get Michael Young, Cashman!

I missed the end of today's game but a nice walk off win. Jeter and Soriano providing some power and productivity from the right side of the plate that was desperately needed. Only 2.5 games out of a wild card spot. I'll take that at this point. Granderson should be back soon and the Phillies have finally made Michael Young available. Both would be welcome additions.

Hughes got roughed up and has some awful numbers for a walk year: 1.61 HR/9, 30.1 GB% in 112 IP. 4.58 ERA, 4.64 FIP, 4.40 xFIP - who will overpay for him as a FA?

Finally some Biogenesis/A-Rod news from the NY Post.

The strong indications are Major League Baseball will announce all the suspensions in the Biogenesis case this week, including one that could cover the rest of this year and all of next season for Alex Rodriguez, The Post has learned.

That could be viewed as just about the death penalty for Rodriguez, at least for his playing career. He turned 38 yesterday. He has yet to play this year. The idea that he would not play this season or next season and come back able to play in 2015 after two hip surgeries seems farfetched.

The expectation was Rodriguez had hired a cavalry of lawyers, private investigators, crisis managers and spokesmen to fight any sanction. Publicly, his camp has been feisty — and more — in trying to mount a case that both MLB and the Yankees have tried to injure his reputation and keep him from playing.

The only reason, in theory, he would cease that strategy and accept a suspension would be if he felt the evidence was irrefutable and was seeking a way to protect as much of the roughly $97 million he is still owed on his record $275 million contract.

For example, Rodriguez is owed $61 million from 2015-17. Thus, if a punishment were offered to him that extended through 2014, he might accept that to protect the $61 million. If he does accept the punishment, though, the Yankees could try to mount a case to void the rest of the deal based on fraud (a team cannot punish a player for illegal drug use; only the commissioner can do that).

I don't want Michael Young. The asking price is going to be at a premium, and I don't think he solves any issues if A-Rod fights the suspension and is in the lineup next week. I'd rather keep whatever dilapidated remains of the killer B's we have left in our farm than acquire another aging bat with an extra year on his salary.

Well this is all for nothing since apparently Young will only go back to Texas but I don't see why you wouldn't want him. Young is a free agent after this season so there is no extra year on his salary. The cost in prospect(s) shouldn't be high. Also, Selig is planning to suspend A-Rod under a labor violation instead of a drug violation which isn't open to appeal, if A-Rod doesn't accept the suspension of the rest of 2013 and all of 2014 that is on the table. There is no way A-Rod plays a game this year. Now compare Young's production vs. Yankees 3B:

Michael Young: .277/.342/.402 .326 wOBA 106 wRC+

Yankees 3B (Worst production in MLB): .215/.275/.285 .253 wOBA 53 wRC+

Young would've been a dramatic upgrade. I've been clinging to postseason hope, but if they don't get a real 3B at the trade deadline, then I don't know how they'll get in. Especially when they are hoping that Jeter stays healthy and they still have below average production at 1B amongst other positions. At least getting Granderson back should help soon but I doubt it's enough without another move.

Well this is all for nothing since apparently Young will only go back to Texas but I don't see why you wouldn't want him. Young is a free agent after this season so there is no extra year on his salary. The cost in prospect(s) shouldn't be high. Also, Selig is planning to suspend A-Rod under a labor violation instead of a drug violation which isn't open to appeal, if A-Rod doesn't accept the suspension of the rest of 2013 and all of 2014 that is on the table. There is no way A-Rod plays a game this year. Now compare Young's production vs. Yankees 3B:

Michael Young: .277/.342/.402 .326 wOBA 106 wRC+

Yankees 3B (Worst production in MLB): .215/.275/.285 .253 wOBA 53 wRC+

Young would've been a dramatic upgrade. I've been clinging to postseason hope, but if they don't get a real 3B at the trade deadline, then I don't know how they'll get in. Especially when they are hoping that Jeter stays healthy and they still have below average production at 1B amongst other positions. At least getting Granderson back should help soon but I doubt it's enough without another move.

There's still time!  http://t.co/3LTMsXnJFy

TAMPA, Fla. -- Philadelphia Phillies third baseman Michael Young has changed his mind and now would accept a trade to the New York Yankees, a source with direct knowledge of his thinking.

Also, the Yanks are now getting bites on Phil Hughes via MLBTR.

Well after A-Rod's latest outbursts the Yankees are not willing to discuss a buyout settlement nor is MLB willing to discuss a suspension settlement. According to Mark Feinsand of the NY Daily News, MLB is most likely going to suspend him for the rest of 2013 and all of 2014, with the small chance Selig tries the lifetime ban. A-Rod is expected to appeal any suspension and fight to the end.

So what I'm getting at here is A-Rod could return to the Yankees on Monday, playing because of an appeal. That would actually be great news for the Yankees considering they've had the worst 3B production in MLB this year: .213/.273/.283 .250 wOBA 51 wRC+ - absolutely atrocious. A league average (100 wRC+) A-Rod would be a huge improvement.

If he hit his 2012 line of .272/.353/.430 .342 wOBA 114 wRC+, I'd be beyond thrilled. Monumental upgrade if it happens. I just hope the Yankees don't find a way to keep him off the field during his appeal. Love him or hate him - they need him desperately right now.

Just got this alert from ESPN:

ESPN MLB - Yankees' Alex Rodriguez to be suspended Monday, likely through end of '14 season, sources tell OTL

That seems like the most likely outcome but it seems like a lot of reporters think he'll appeal, which I hope he does. Not a sure thing he does that though. I just hope we find out relatively early Monday. I imagine they'd have to announce suspensions sometime in the afternoon.

Edited by thefiestygoat

http://espn.go.com/new-york/mlb/story/_/id/9535752/alex-rodriguez-likely-suspended-2014-season-monday-according-sources

MLB is expected to declare that Rodriguez is not eligible to play while he appeals, invoking the powers of the commissioner to protect the best interests of the game. Rodriguez has said he will appeal any suspension, and is expected to file a grievance if MLB refuses to let him play while he appeals.

"If this goes to arbitration, it could get very, very ugly," a source told ESPN New York's Ian O'Connor.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/2013/08/04/alex-rodriguez-biogenesis-suspended-bud-selig--monday/2616989/

Rodriguez, 38, plans to immediately file an appeal, a person familiar with Rodriguez's strategy told USA TODAY Sports, which would allow him to play for the Yankees Monday night in Chicago against the White Sox. The appeal would be heard by arbitrator Fredric Horowitz in the next three weeks.

What a mess this whole thing continues to become. So my original hope of him being able to play during appeal could be dashed or put in jeopardy since Selig wants to prevent that. Who knows what a grievance would do or how long that would take to play out. Plus, even ignoring that, if he was allowed to play during an appeal, apparently it would only last for 3 weeks and then they'd go to the arbitrator.

Joel Sherman clears some stuff up. Yankees should have A-Rod in the line up tomorrow.

https://twitter.com/Joelsherman1/status/364156710060957697

"#Yankees have been told A-Rod is being suspended tmrw, but also that if he appeals Selig not using his CBA powers to keep form field (cont)"

https://twitter.com/Joelsherman1/status/364156791535304705

"Thus, as long as A-Rod does appeal and doesn't incur a new injury he is playing tomorrow nite for #Yankees"

ESPN MLB NYY - Yankees SS Derek Jeter has strained right calf, DL stint possible

Jesus...

I know it's only a grade 1 strain but given his health I fear this is going to be a DL stint. Almost have to wonder if he can come back and stay healthy as a strictly DH player. It's too bad since they just got Granderson back and I was looking forward to also having Jeter and A-Rod with him.

I wonder what's going to happen with Jeter after this year. He has a $8M player option with a $3M buyout. I had assumed he would get the buyout and more money for 2014 if he stayed healthy which he hasn't. I hope he elects to use the $8M option.

Also, how bad has Hughes been lately. Phil Hughes last 5 starts: 23.2 IP, 28 H, 19 R, 16 ER, 9 BB, 18 K, 6 HR, 6.08 ERA I'm pissed the Yankees can't even offer Hughes a qualifying offer now to recoup the compensatory pick now. He'd take it at this point. Unfortunately the Yankees are stuck with him in the rotation with Phelps and Pineda recently suffering setbacks and Nuno still injured.

Edited by thefiestygoat

I would've shut Jeter down and tried to sell at the deadline. Foolish ownership and management don't get it.

I think it really comes down to Hal and Levine intentionally downgrading RF and C while knowing Jeter and A-Rod would be hurt to start the year. I can't really get on Cashman for any of this. He wanted to re-sign Martin and sign Schierholtz but Hal and Levine overruled him and insisted on signing the corpse of Ichiro to a 2 year deal. Cashman also didn't want to make the Soriano trade but Hal and Levine overruled him on that.  Imagine if Cashman had his way this offseason:

Russell Martin: .252/.356/.407 .339 wOBA 118 wRC+

Yankees C (27th in MLB): .226/.293/.319 .275 wOBA 68 wRC+

Nate Schierholtz: .268/.327/.500 .354 wOBA 122 wRC+

Yankees RF (26th in MLB): .259/.304/.375 .297 wOBA 83 wRC+

Unreal difference.

Still blows my mind that because of Hal's cheap austerity plan, they weren't willing to spend a couple extra million to keep Martin or give anyone a multiple year deal but signed Ichiro to a 2 year deal and acquired Wells and Soriano who were on multiple year deals. At least Wells can get cut since he doesn't count towards the tax next year. Hal is a horrible owner. He's pretty much eliminated the "pride and power" from "pride, power, and pinstripes."

-----------

On the issue of selling at the deadline, I don't think it would've helped that much. Kuroda didn't waive his NTC when he was in LA when they were out of it and I imagine he would've done the same in this instance. Hughes has no value. Joba has negative value. Granderson's been hurt all year. Cano is likely to re-sign and he would've been the only chip they had to actually get something. They really had nothing to sell in my opinion.

With this being Rivera's last year, they were only a few games out of a playoff spot, Granderson, Jeter, and A-Rod all due back, I wanted them to add. Unfortunately not a lot of teams were selling so prices were too high to get anyone. I'm hoping for a miracle for this team to stay afloat in the race and acquire a Michael Young or Michael Morse.

It really is a shame how unfortunate things are going around Mariano for his last year

Hughes is absolute garbage, I honestly believe that his career is just about over- at least with being a starter. Same with Joba.

You raised good points about Hal and how ridiculous his decisions are. We needed Martin to stay sooo badly. It's obvious what happens when someone just inherits a team like Hal.

I will say though, I hated the Montero trade from the second it happened. I believe that was Cashmans doing. We would be desperate right now for Montero's offense. Of course, he's in talks with the PED suspensions so that point is basically moot.

Regardless, you just simply can't lose Martin and Montero at C. It's clear we're a desperate team basically all around

Edited by Onddeck

I think it really comes down to Hal and Levine intentionally downgrading RF and C while knowing Jeter and A-Rod would be hurt to start the year. I can't really get on Cashman for any of this. He wanted to re-sign Martin and sign Schierholtz but Hal and Levine overruled him and insisted on signing the corpse of Ichiro to a 2 year deal. Cashman also didn't want to make the Soriano trade but Hal and Levine overruled him on that.  Imagine if Cashman had his way this offseason:

I heard that too...what happened to Cashman being the czar of the organization?  I know they promised him a freer hand when he decided to stay a few years back.

In fairness to ownership, things would look a lot different offensively if they hadn't lost Jeter, Granderson, Texiera and even Youkilis basically for the year.  Even they can't survive those kinds of long-term losses.  

I heard that too...what happened to Cashman being the czar of the organization?  I know they promised him a freer hand when he decided to stay a few years back.

In fairness to ownership, things would look a lot different offensively if they hadn't lost Jeter, Granderson, Texiera and even Youkilis basically for the year.  Even they can't survive those kinds of long-term losses.  

Cashman was promised autonomy in regards to personnel decisions back in 2005. It seems that when George Steinbrenner's health was declining and he ultimate passed away that Cashman lost a lot of power. Hal Steinbrenner and Randy Levine went against Cashman in re-signing A-Rod in 2007 after he opted out and then with various decisions since then (Rafael Soriano, others I mentioned earlier etc.)

It is a fair point that the injuries this year have been ridiculous for the Yankees. Especially losing Granderson (twice) and Teixeira the way they did - there was no way to expect that prior to the year. While it has affected the team negatively I'm still more concerned or irked by ownerships decisions prior to this year.

Cashman was promised autonomy in regards to personnel decisions back in 2005. It seems that when George Steinbrenner's health was declining and he ultimate passed away that Cashman lost a lot of power. Hal Steinbrenner and Randy Levine went against Cashman in re-signing A-Rod in 2007 after he opted out and then with various decisions since then (Rafael Soriano, others I mentioned earlier etc.)

It is a fair point that the injuries this year have been ridiculous for the Yankees. Especially losing Granderson (twice) and Teixeira the way they did - there was no way to expect that prior to the year. While it has affected the team negatively I'm still more concerned or irked by ownerships decisions prior to this year.

ARod's deal was just as much Goldman Sachs' doing than Hal or Levine, probably moreso.  With that exception though, it seems that Cashman still holds the real power over personnel in the organization.   Hal and Levine just give him the budget.

So far as the Arod appeal, I think he has a good chance of winning in the sense that he'll end up with something like a 50 game suspension.  It has yet to be explained to me (perhaps because I'm not paying attention) where Selig can just impose a ban for someone that, under the letter of the CBA anyway, is a first-time offender.  

The only hook that Selig has is that these players' dirty laundry, would be aired in public, especially Braun, which is why he agreed to the 60 game ban.  Arod has a ton of money at stake, and not much of  reputation left to defend anway. 

ARod's deal was just as much Goldman Sachs' doing than Hal or Levine, probably moreso.  With that exception though, it seems that Cashman still holds the real power over personnel in the organization.   Hal and Levine just give him the budget.

So far as the Arod appeal, I think he has a good chance of winning in the sense that he'll end up with something like a 50 game suspension.  It has yet to be explained to me (perhaps because I'm not paying attention) where Selig can just impose a ban for someone that, under the letter of the CBA anyway, is a first-time offender.  

The only hook that Selig has is that these players' dirty laundry, would be aired in public, especially Braun, which is why he agreed to the 60 game ban.  Arod has a ton of money at stake, and not much of  reputation left to defend anway. 

You're not wrong...I don't get how they can state they're staying within the CBA to suspend him then offer him a suspension term that isn't outlined in the CBA.  But I don't think he's getting any 50 games either, especially if they have evidence he was doing it multiple seasons.  I think his best-case is 100 games, and baseball's best case is a full year.  I doubt the 200+ is going to stand.

Who else is listening to this press conference? "I'm humbled once again to put on this uniform." As much as I can't stand Alex, I hope he hits a home run tonight and Selig fumes. If I were Cashman, I would've got out a long time ago. People like Randy Levine have no place in baseball.