2013 NHL Draft

Derlique

Haha you were the guy in 2012 that was adamant all season that the rangers would drop in the standings..we are talking many long, detailed posts about how they couldn't keep it up. They go on to win the presidents trophy and fall 2 gms short of the SCF lol. Bobrovsky is playing better than he has in the past, but who is to say he hasn't turned the corner in his career. He prob hasn't but the jackets are winning, so up to now he's been playing great.

well look how they've done this year. Seems like he was right. And they only got to the ECF because they played two awful teams on the way there and barely won basically in coin tosses 

well look how they've done this year. Seems like he was right. And they only got to the ECF because they played two awful teams on the way there and barely won basically in coin tosses

No, he wasn't right. It was about last season, not this current one. Ottawa is far from awful.

And my mistake, Vancouver won presidents, rags still ended up top team in east.

Edited by devlman

You do realize the Rangers changed around about 50% of their forward core from last year to this year?  They completely changed over their team when they lost all their quality depth in the Nash trade and in FA.  Then they basically got a re-boot when they traded an underperforming Gaborik to get quality depth back and bought Clowe at Neiman Marcus prices.  And voila, they look like last year's team again.

Edited by NJDevs4978

You do realize the Rangers changed around about 50% of their forward core from last year to this year?  They completely changed over their team when they lost all their quality depth in the Nash trade and in FA.  Then they basically got a re-boot when they traded an underperforming Gaborik to get quality depth back and bought Clowe at Neiman Marcus prices.  And voila, they look like last year's team again.

I think you're forgetting how mediocre they were in the playoffs. And what they've had these guys for a few games? Give it a chance. Do you really think Derek Brassard and Ryan Clowe are that good? 

ISS Top 30 April Edition

Interesting list, a lot different than the others out there...especially Nichushkin at 2, Drouin at 4, and Horvat at 10. I also find it interesting they have Lazar at 12 and Bowey at 27. Here's the top 10:

1. D Seth Jones (Portland - WHL)
2. F Valery Nichushkin (Chelyabinsk - RUS)
3. C Nate MacKinnon (Halifax - QMJHL)
4. C Jonathan Drouin (Halifax - QMJHL)
5. C Sasha Barkov (Tappara - FIN)
6. D Darnell Nurse (Sault Ste. Marie - OHL)
7. D Nikita Zadorov (London - OHL)
8. C Elias Lindholm (Brynas - SWE)
9. C Sean Monahan (Ottawa - OHL)
10. C Bo Horvat (London - OHL)

Also, here is the most recent NHL Numbers Draft Consensus Rankings (April).

Well we only have 4more pts than the 27th position... Its not even impossible to be able to draft drouin or mackinnon with our own pick without even winning the lottery

Edit: actually the flames (27th) even have more regulation wins than us lol if you only look at the wins were bottom 4

Edited by SterioDesign
  • Like 1

Really want us to get in the top 4. It would be really save this team. We need a franchise forward for when Elias leaves. Mackinnon, barkov, and druin will all be elite talents and at least one of them will be around at 4

losing to philly thursday could certain help that... they'd jump over us. and if Oilers and nashville win their next game we'd be 6th

obviously i don't like to think that way i want to see my team win but you know... i saw Mackinnon and Drouin play around here a bunch of time... it would be fvcking unreal to have one of them in NJ

Colorado is probably regretting signing that ROR offer sheet now. They could be looking at picks 2 and 3 this year since Calgary is so bad.

especially if they could've reclaimed him on waivers right after they decided not to match  :doh1:

Here's an interesting scenario: Lets say Carolina gets #4 and we're at #8. Would you guys give up Tallinder or even Fayne to switch with the Canes? Maybe one of Drouin or Mackinnon would fall to us and worst case, we'd get Barkov

well, you're essentially asking which is worth more - moving up from 8 to 4 or a 2nd round pick.

it all depends on what else either of them could get.

if i could get, say, kulemin for one of them, i'd rather do that than move up from 8 to 4.

Here's an interesting scenario: Lets say Carolina gets #4 and we're at #8. Would you guys give up Tallinder or even Fayne to switch with the Canes? Maybe one of Drouin or Mackinnon would fall to us and worst case, we'd get Barkov

One problem is that Carolina will be straddilng the cap next year with a lot of roster spots to fill, so it would be hard for them to justify picking up a $3 million cap hit in Tallinder when there wouldn't be equivalent salary, much less equivalent talent going the other way. 

Also, while this draft is supposed to be deep, Jones/MacKinnon/Drouin/Nishkinin/Barkov appear to be the 1A prospects.  If I were a Canes' fan, I'd be really upset if Carolina missed out on one of those players in order to get a mid-pairing defenseman that was only under contract for one year.  I would demand Merrill in any such scenario. 

One problem is that Carolina will be straddilng the cap next year with a lot of roster spots to fill, so it would be hard for them to justify picking up a $3 million cap hit in Tallinder when there wouldn't be equivalent salary, much less equivalent talent going the other way. 

Also, while this draft is supposed to be deep, Jones/MacKinnon/Drouin/Nishkinin/Barkov appear to be the 1A prospects.  If I were a Canes' fan, I'd be really upset if Carolina missed out on one of those players in order to get a mid-pairing defenseman that was only under contract for one year.  I would demand Merrill in any such scenario. 

Fayne isnt expensive at all and we could take a bad contract if it came to that. The top 5 is too strong to not take a risk

Fayne isnt expensive at all and we could take a bad contract if it came to that. The top 5 is too strong to not take a risk

I would trade Fayne in a heartbeat to get into the top five.  There's no way the Canes would do that though, even if Fayne were making the league minimum.  He is under contract for only one more year, the Canes are not making a Cup push next year, and even if they were, Fayne is nowhere near good enough to risk losing out on a player that is a good chance to be a perennial all-star.  As I said, if I'm the Canes, I'm hanging up the phone immediately if the first offer does not involve Merrill.

I would trade Fayne in a heartbeat to get into the top five.  There's no way the Canes would do that though, even if Fayne were making the league minimum.  He is under contract for only one more year, the Canes are not making a Cup push next year, and even if they were, Fayne is nowhere near good enough to risk losing out on a player that is a good chance to be a perennial all-star.  As I said, if I'm the Canes, I'm hanging up the phone immediately if the first offer does not involve Merrill.

I get that feeling Fayne won't be too expensive to re-sign. He's a clear top 4 guy and would be their 3rd best dman after Pitkanen and Gleason. 4th overall isn't gonna get them Jones and they can get good guys like Nurse, Ristolainen, etc at 8th overall

I don't think you trade up to 4 w/ Fayne, you have to get into the top 3 w/ the big 3 this year unless you really love Barkov. 4-8's probably the same caliber of player. Unless you're getting a sure fire in the top 6 guy next year, it's probably not worth it

I don't think you trade up to 4 w/ Fayne, you have to get into the top 3 w/ the big 3 this year unless you really love Barkov. 4-8's probably the same caliber of player. Unless you're getting a sure fire in the top 6 guy next year, it's probably not worth it

Remember, Couturier made it all the way down to 8th. If a team likes Barkov or Nichuskin over Mackinnon or Drouin, it isn't out of the question we could get one of the Mooseheads

I get that feeling Fayne won't be too expensive to re-sign. He's a clear top 4 guy and would be their 3rd best dman after Pitkanen and Gleason. 4th overall isn't gonna get them Jones and they can get good guys like Nurse, Ristolainen, etc at 8th overall

You're still competing with 29 other teams once he hits free agency.  The fact that he would be a good UFA value makes him a more desirable acquisition makes a lot of teams interested in signing him.  Carolina's cap situation is beside the point so far as it concerns Fayne. 

Think of it this way, would you trade Barkov for Darnell Nurse and a second pairing defenseman?  I sure as sh!t would not.

You're still competing with 29 other teams once he hits free agency.  The fact that he would be a good UFA value makes him a more desirable acquisition makes a lot of teams interested in signing him.  Carolina's cap situation is beside the point so far as it concerns Fayne. 

Think of it this way, would you trade Barkov for Darnell Nurse and a second pairing defenseman?  I sure as sh!t would not.

Carolina seems set at center for awhile. They have both Staals down the middl who are both pretty young. I've seen Nurse go as high as 5th; I think you're underselling him a bit. Fayne instantly gives them a guy who can play 20 minutes a night and in every situation

Carolina seems set at center for awhile. They have both Staals down the middl who are both pretty young. I've seen Nurse go as high as 5th; I think you're underselling him a bit. Fayne instantly gives them a guy who can play 20 minutes a night and in every situation

20 minutes a night?  So in other words, about the average TOI a defenseman ought to be getting?

20 minutes a night?  So in other words, about the average TOI a defenseman ought to be getting?

For whatever reason, the Devils would rather play Salvador and Zidlicky big minutes over Fayne. But if you watched last years playoffs, you know what he's capable of