2013 NHL Draft

Derlique

Can the Devils take the NHL to court over the draft pick penalty and tie it up for a few years?

It wouldn't take years, even if the CBA allows a teams to sue the league over a situation like this, which I doubt.  All the proper process was followed, so there's no basis for overturning the leagues punishment.  It wouldn't take long for a judge or arbiter to see that.

This makes no sense.  The 29th pick is not set in stone - it represents a range of possible picks, some of which will turn out well, some which won't - nor is it set in stone that the Devils will be picking between 8th and 12th next year.  

when i thought i could not have put it more obvious that it was sarcastic, people still fall for it

but seriously i still don't like that we didnt gave up that pick, i understand the situation and where Lou is coming from with it but i'd hate to have to give a bottom 15 pick next year so i hope the boys bounce back

The only guy i dont want is Anthony Mantha from VD... yes he score 45 goals... yes he is talented, but he plays one game on 3... he have no constence... My girlfriend is a huge Foreurs fans... dont tell her i said that :P

really? well i just happened to catch him on that 1 game every time then haha

They could try, but it won't work. There's an iron clad arbitration clause in the CBA.

Teams can no longer take the NHL to court ot block a league ruling.  If they do, they face a massive fine ($1 million+) and, i believe, possible loss of draft picks.  The League actually implemented this policy after Lou and the Devils got an injunction from a NJ Judge to block the suspension of Jim Schoenfeld in the 1987 Wales Conference Finals vs. Boston following the Koharski "have another donut" incident. 

This!

I think the whole thing seems extremely unreasonable. The NHL agreed to contract regulations they dislike themselves. Sucks for them. Now they fixed it. Good job. Why on earth should the Devils be singled out and penalized for it? :o

Recall that we can't sue the NHL in court. It's against the rules, lol.

I already got beat....I didn't get in early enough. Have another doooughnut, lol.

Edited by ATLL765

really? well i just happened to catch him on that 1 game every time then haha

ive watch 12 game this years.....

What's your thought on barkov? i love the fact he is 6 foot 2.... the video i see from him made him look like a dominant player... 

I love linholm toon(man he is quick) the only problem with him could be his scoring touch.... he score a lot but miss a lot from what i have seen at the WJC

ive watch 12 game this years.....

What's your thought on barkov? i love the fact he is 6 foot 2.... the video i see from him made him look like a dominant player... 

I love linholm toon(man he is quick) the only problem with him could be his scoring touch.... he score a lot but miss a lot from what i have seen at the WJC

I recall our resident scout, J. MacIssac, saying that Barkov was like a bigger version of Datsyuk, so having him on the team would be very exciting. 

I don't love the idea of Nishkinin just because he would not be available for a couple of years.  The Devils can use all the help in the talent department right now.  I also like the idea of getting draft picks that can play immediately for the excitement factor.

It's been said here before, but I have this irrational fear of drafting anymore Swedes in the first round.  Larsson seems to be the only one that has a shot at being an above-average NHLer, but he's bee really disappointing thus far.  So hopefully we're not in a position one way or another to draft Lindholm.

I recall our resident scout, J. MacIssac, saying that Barkov was like a bigger version of Datsyuk, so having him on the team would be very exciting.

I don't love the idea of Nishkinin just because he would not be available for a couple of years. The Devils can use all the help in the talent department right now. I also like the idea of getting draft picks that can play immediately for the excitement factor.

It's been said here before, but I have this irrational fear of drafting anymore Swedes in the first round. Larsson seems to be the only one that has a shot at being an above-average NHLer, but he's bee really disappointing thus far. So hopefully we're not in a position one way or another to draft Lindholm.

Avoiding picking a player based on nationality. Thank god you aren't a scout

I don't love the idea of Nishkinin just because he would not be available for a couple of years. The Devils can use all the help in the talent department right now. I also like the idea of getting draft picks that can play immediately for the excitement factor.

It's been said here before, but I have this irrational fear of drafting anymore Swedes in the first round. Larsson seems to be the only one that has a shot at being an above-average NHLer, but he's bee really disappointing thus far. So hopefully we're not in a position one way or another to draft Lindholm.

Avoiding picking a player based on nationality. Thank god you aren't a scout

To my credit, I did say it was irrational. But still, different countries, or at least playing in a different country, breeds playing a certain type of style. Landeskog is Swedish, but he played junior in Canada, so he doesn't fit in the Swede category so to speak. Same with Galchenyuk who played intheOHL fitting into the "Russian" category.

It isn't a scientific approach, but you can't completely discount the idea that the country where a draft pick has played has some effect on the type of NHLer someone will turn out to be.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I would like us to draft Adam Erne from the Quebec Remparts if we have a 10-15 draft pick. Right Winger 6 ft. 200 pounds. Will be 18 the day after tomorrow.

Since I live in Quebec City, I've went to see the remparts a couple of times this year, and this kid is really talented. He isn't really flashy, but he is big, intense, he can hit, but he can also score a lot of goals and put up points.

This year he had 28 goals and 44 assists (72 points) in 68 games, and 5 goals and 5 assists in 11 games in the playoffs. This year was his second in the "Q".

Since we don't have a lot of RWers and we lack size on the offense, I believe this kid would fit in perfectly.

Edit: He was ranked 16th on Bob McKenzie January top 30 list.

What do you guys think?

Here are some highlights:

Edited by Devs3cups

To my credit, I did say it was irrational. But still, different countries, or at least playing in a different country, breeds playing a certain type of style. Landeskog is Swedish, but he played junior in Canada, so he doesn't fit in the Swede category so to speak. Same with Galchenyuk who played intheOHL fitting into the "Russian" category. It isn't a scientific approach, but you can't completely discount the idea that the country where a draft pick has played has some effect on the type of NHLer someone will turn out to be. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Sure maybe there's a differetn style but don't act like Swedes are busts because Tedenby sucks, JJ's always hurt and Larsson's not Niklas Lidstrom at 20. Lidstrom: Swedish believe it or not. Henrik Zetterberg: Swedish. Peter Forsberg: Swedish. And the list goes on. It might have an impact on "type" sometimes, but not on success. 

and Galchenyuk's American btw 

Edited by DH26

To my credit, I did say it was irrational. But still, different countries, or at least playing in a different country, breeds playing a certain type of style. Landeskog is Swedish, but he played junior in Canada, so he doesn't fit in the Swede category so to speak. Same with Galchenyuk who played intheOHL fitting into the "Russian" category. It isn't a scientific approach, but you can't completely discount the idea that the country where a draft pick has played has some effect on the type of NHLer someone will turn out to be. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Sure maybe there's a differetn style but don't act like Swedes are busts because Tedenby sucks, JJ's always hurt and Larsson's not Niklas Lidstrom at 20. Lidstrom: Swedish believe it or not. Henrik Zetterberg: Swedish. Peter Forsberg: Swedish. And the list goes on. It might have an impact on "type" sometimes, but not on success.

and Galchenyuk's American btw

Galchenyuk is American the way Courturier is American. Both were born in the US, but raised mainly outside of the US.

And I never said all Swedes are busts or that they can't make it in the NHL. (What is it with strawmen?) It's just that the Devils have a very poor record when it comes to drafting Swedes. (BTW, you forgot to mention Bergfors).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Galchenyuk is American the way Courturier is American. Both were born in the US, but raised mainly outside of the US. And I never said all Swedes are busts or that they can't make it in the NHL. (What is it with strawmen?) It's just that the Devils have a very poor record when it comes to drafting Swedes. (BTW, you forgot to mention Bergfors). Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I agree.

Swedes usually are a safe bet to draft.  Even JD once said years ago that when in doubt, draft a swede.  However the Devils just find a way of drafting I guess the "wrong" ones and we get stuck with the ones that we have.  Larsson is probably the most promising.  Josefson has not impressed that much so far, but still has a chance. However Tedenby is a bust and Bergfors turned out to be one as well.

Galchenyuk is American the way Courturier is American. Both were born in the US, but raised mainly outside of the US. And I never said all Swedes are busts or that they can't make it in the NHL. (What is it with strawmen?) It's just that the Devils have a very poor record when it comes to drafting Swedes. (BTW, you forgot to mention Bergfors). Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Tedenby was a bad pick considering who was left on the board

Bergfors had obvious skill and was a major part of the Kovalchuk trade (so he wasn't a total waste)

Josefson is a really good player. I think he'll anchor the third line for years to come. 

Larsson is 20 years old playing and playing well in the NHL. With a bit more foot speed and an improved shot, he'll be a freaking beast

Tedenby was a bad pick considering who was left on the board

Bergfors had obvious skill and was a major part of the Kovalchuk trade (so he wasn't a total waste)

Josefson is a really good player. I think he'll anchor the third line for years to come. 

Larsson is 20 years old playing and playing well in the NHL. With a bit more foot speed and an improved shot, he'll be a freaking beast

Just for the hell of it, assuming the standings stay the same:

1) Florida- Nathan Mackinnon

2) Colorado- Seth Jones

3) Carolina- Jonathan Drouin

4) Nashville- Alex Barkov

5) Tampa Bay- Valeri Nichuskin

6) Calgary- Elias Lindholm

7) Edmonton- Darnell Nurse

8) Philadelphia- Rasmus Ristolainen 

9) NJ- Hunter Shinkaruk

Assuming NJ picks no later than 10th, I'd love for them to trade up to where CGY or TB are picking. I don't care whether its picks or Fayne or Tallinder