2013 NHL Draft

Derlique

Ok, after reading up on Shinkaruk and watching some highlight videos, I'd love to see him here. Very fast and shifty, great wrister, elite hands. He projects similarly to Skinner

Dotn hate him but small size.... i would love us to draft a guy nhl ready soon.... He didnt produce like last year either 

Dotn hate him but small size.... i would love us to draft a guy nhl ready soon.... He didnt produce like last year either 

He had 5 less points in 2 less games. He produced at the same pace, except he wasn't playing with Emerson Etem (Ducks prospect) like he was last year. I'd love Drouin and Mackinnon as much as the rest, but this guy is a legit possibility considering where we'll be picking

I listen to a video describing Barkov asset and how good he is... the guy was quoting David Conte scout of the new jersey Devils at the and sayong how good he was...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVqhvEkDQGk

Depressing that he's just out of reach.  Although perhaps the fact that Conte is so high on him might lead Lou to bring out the big guns to trade up to get him. 

Edited by Daniel

Depressing that he's just out of reach.  Although perhaps the fact that Conte is so high on him might lead Lou to bring out the big guns to trade up to get him. 

Which brings up an interesting point. Let's say for some reason NJ ends up with Mackinnon, Barkov, Monahan or Lindholm (all centers who are close to if not NHL ready), what do we do? Right now, we have Zajac, Loktionov, Josefson, Gionta and Henrique at the pivot. I think Henrique should be used at wing and Gio should either be the 13th forward or move to wing. But still, you either have to trade one of JJ or Lokti or not resign them. It's clear that JJ should not be used in a fourth line role and I doubt Lou wants 3 guys under 23 centering lines

Which brings up an interesting point. Let's say for some reason NJ ends up with Mackinnon, Barkov, Monahan or Lindholm (all centers who are close to if not NHL ready), what do we do? Right now, we have Zajac, Loktionov, Josefson, Gionta and Henrique at the pivot. I think Henrique should be used at wing and Gio should either be the 13th forward or move to wing. But still, you either have to trade one of JJ or Lokti or not resign them. It's clear that JJ should not be used in a fourth line role and I doubt Lou wants 3 guys under 23 centering lines

That would be a good problem to have.  You can never have enough strength down the middle. 

I don't think Lou would care what age they were as long as they were effective at the position.

in a perfect world Gio shouldnt be in the NHL if you have a deep team

Henrique should definitely be converted to a winger at this point, but there's also the option of converting Josefson. I know he has played strictly center since being drafted by the Devils, but I remember him being listed as a center/winger before the draft. If the team is faced with having 5 centers for the top 3 center spots in Zajac, Josefson, Loktionov, Henrique, and Barkov/MacKinnon/Monahan (I've heard Lindholm plays RW sometimes), I'm sure there wouldn't be too much of a problem in having a couple of those guys play the wing. I only propose this idea over a possible trade because every single one of those guys has pretty low trade value now, and are likely to have better seasons in the next couple years.

I'm trying to toy with our roster next year IF we should get one of the centers in the draft:

Zubrus-Loktionov-Kovalchuk

Elias-Zajac-Clarkson

Henrique-Josefson-D'Agostini

CBGB

Even if you dont resign D'Ags, I highly doubt Josefson or Henrique would play the right side. They're probably going to have to move one of Loktionov or JJ either way you slice it

Next year, ideally I'd think they're looking at:

xxxx-loktionov-kovalchuk

elias-zajac-clarkson

henrique-josefson-zubrus

carter-gionta-bernier

The key is finding that 1st line winger and replacing gionta. One of these top forward picks could end up w/ loktionov and kovalchuk

xxxx-loktionov-kovalchuk

elias-zajac-clarkson

henrique-josefson-zubrus

carter-gionta-bernier

The key is finding that 1st line winger and replacing gionta. One of these top forward picks could end up w/ loktionov and kovalchuk

Or a RW not as if kovy cant go back to his natural position instead of putting 2 wingers on their off wings

I'm trying to toy with our roster next year IF we should get one of the centers in the draft:

Zubrus-Loktionov-Kovalchuk

Elias-Zajac-Clarkson

Henrique-Josefson-D'Agostini

CBGB

Even if you dont resign D'Ags, I highly doubt Josefson or Henrique would play the right side. They're probably going to have to move one of Loktionov or JJ either way you slice it

I may be mistaken, but didn't Henrique center Josefson in Albany for a bit and Henrique didn't find his game until he got moved to wing? 

Edited by Marshall

xxxx-loktionov-kovalchuk

elias-zajac-clarkson

henrique-josefson-zubrus

carter-gionta-bernier

Someone on HF suggested the following trade with the Sabres. Both Sabres and Devils fans found this to be fair:

2013 1st

2014 2nd (conditional - becomes 5th if Vanek does not re-sign)

Jon Merril

For

Thomas Vanek

Luke Adam

2014 2nd (conditional - if Vanek does not re-sign)

Basically:

If Vanek re-signs: 1st + Merril + 2nd for Vanek

If Vanek doesn't sign: 1st + Merril for Vanek + 2nd

Now this would kill two birds with one stone in that we get the Gionta replacement and first line winger. The lines I would assume as follows (and also assuming we let Poni walk and we resign the rest of our FAs)

Vanek-Lotki-Kovalchuk

Elias-Zajac-Clarkson

Zubrus-Henrique-D'Agostini

Carter-Adam-Bernier

Extras: Gionta, Barch, YaYo.

Someone on HF suggested the following trade with the Sabres. Both Sabres and Devils fans found this to be fair:

2013 1st

2014 2nd (conditional - becomes 5th if Vanek does not re-sign)

Jon Merril

For

Thomas Vanek

Luke Adam

2014 2nd (conditional - if Vanek does not re-sign)

Basically:

If Vanek re-signs: 1st + Merril + 2nd for Vanek

If Vanek doesn't sign: 1st + Merril for Vanek + 2nd

Now this would kill two birds with one stone in that we get the Gionta replacement and first line winger. The lines I would assume as follows (and also assuming we let Poni walk and we resign the rest of our FAs)

Vanek-Lotki-Kovalchuk

Elias-Zajac-Clarkson

Zubrus-Henrique-D'Agostini

Carter-Adam-Bernier

Extras: Gionta, Barch, YaYo.

Too much. 1 year of Vanek is not worth two 1st round picks and that is what Merrill is. Furthermore, Devils can't trade next year's 2nd when they don't have a first.

Too much. 1 year of Vanek is not worth two 1st round picks and that is what Merrill is. Furthermore, Devils can't trade next year's 2nd when they don't have a first.

You could always work out an extension ahead of time.  Ultimately though, I would want to wait as long as possible to see who's available when we pick.  Of course, this all goes out the window if we somehow win the lottery.

You could always work out an extension ahead of time.  Ultimately though, I would want to wait as long as possible to see who's available when we pick.  Of course, this all goes out the window if we somehow win the lottery.

We have what? a 0.08% chance right now? It would be something though to win the draft lottery twice in three years.

Edited by TheMazz