2013 NHL Draft

Derlique

Future Considerations Top 30 for April

I usually post the top 10 but since the Devils will probably pick around 8-11ish I'll post a bit from that range. Their top part of the ranking really remained the same for the most part.

6). LW/C Valeri Nichushkin, Traktor Chelyabinsk, KHL, 6-4, 195
7). C Elias Lindholm, Brynas, Elitserien, 6-0, 185
8). C Sean Monahan, Ottawa, OHL, 6-2, 195
9). C/LW Max Domi, London, OHL, 5-10, 195
10). LW Hunter Shinkaruk, Medicine Hat, WHL, 5-11, 175
11). D Nikita Zadorov, London, OHL, 6-5, 225
12). LW Alexander Wennberg, Djurgården, Allsvenskan, 5-11, 160
13). D Rasmus Ristolainen, TPS, SM-Liiga, 6-3, 205
14). D Ryan Pulock, Brandon, WHL, 6-1, 210
15). LW Valentin Zykov, Baie-Comeau, QMJHL, 6-0, 210

Future Considerations also has their 2013 Draft Guide on pre-sale now. I've been getting it for 3 years, I highly recommend it.

The guide, published in PDF format, includes:

· 2013 Draft Summary
· Top-210 Rankings
· Tiers vs. Rankings Feature
· 1-125 Draft Profiles
· 126-200 Prospect Notes
· 10 Potential Hidden Gems
· 2-Round Mock Draft
· 2014 Top-50 Ranking
· 2014 Prospect Profiles
· Top-10 2015 Ranking
Edited by thefiestygoat

What kind of player is Sean Monahan? I've heard power forward, but I haven't heard any comparisons. The videos are a bit hard to gauge his skill level too. Does anyone know much about him?

I heard he's a Sean Couturier clone. Very good two way forward with good but not great offensive ability

Just got the hockey news 2013 draft preview. They give out their top 60 palyers for the draft and more info, here is the top 10.

1. Seth Jones

2. Jonathan Drouin

3. Nathan Mackinnon

4. Elias Lindholm

5. Valeri Nichushkin

6. Aleksander Barkov

7. Sean Monahan

8. Darnell Nurse

9. Curtis Lazar

10. Ryan Pulock

Shinkaruk is ranked 23rd... Hmmm..

Just got the hockey news 2013 draft preview. They give out their top 60 palyers for the draft and more info, here is the top 10.

1. Seth Jones

2. Jonathan Drouin

3. Nathan Mackinnon

4. Elias Lindholm

5. Valeri Nichushkin

6. Aleksander Barkov

7. Sean Monahan

8. Darnell Nurse

9. Curtis Lazar

10. Ryan Pulock

Shinkaruk is ranked 23rd... Hmmm..

is this printed? i'm curious when they actually made this list - they've got lazar and pulock pretty high compared to everyone else

is this printed? i'm curious when they actually made this list - they've got lazar and pulock pretty high compared to everyone else

It must be the list before the Final ISS rankings because they are not the same in the magazine and on the ISS website. For example Bo Harvart (16th in THN) is ranked 24th in the magazine by the ISS and the final ISS rankings on the website have him at 10th. I don't know if you got what I just said haha. But I believe this list could've been made in february/march.

Edited by Devs3cups

The 3 NHL mock drafts are now updated. Here they are: Adam Kimelman, Mike G. Morreale, and Steven Hoffner.

Kimelman has the Devils taking D Shea Theodore (Seattle - WHL) at 10. Morreale and Hoffner have the Devils going with C Sean Monahan (Ottawa - OHL).Kimelman has C Elias Lindholm (Brynas - SWE) slipping to 11, which I can't envision the Devils passing up on him if the likes of Nichushkin, Monahan, and Shinkaruk are all off the board. Kimelman also doesn't have C Curtis Lazar (Edmonton - WHL) going in the 1st round which is very surprising. Morreale's list makes the most sense to me out of all 3 of them....by a wide margin. Hoffner's list certainly deviates from the general consensus. He has Shinkaruk at 4, Barkov at 7, Nichushkin at 11, Lindholm at 13, and Hartman at 14.

Future Considerations: NHL or Bust for Nichushkin

When Valeri Nichushkin comes to play hockey in North America, there’s only one league he’s got his mind set on – the National Hockey League.

The 6-foot-4, 196-pound forward has little desire to play in the American Hockey League and even less to skate in Canada’s junior ranks, he told Future Considerations’ Roman Soloviev.

“If I go to North America, I’ll go only to NHL,” Nichushkin said earlier this week at the World Under-18 Championship. “I played in KHL, why [do] I need to go to CHL or AHL?”

After signing a three-year deal this summer, Nichushkin is under contract with Traktor Chelyabinsk until April 30, 2015. The length remains an indication of his commitment to both his team in league. However, Nichushkin’s line of thinking came before news leaked of a possible trade from Traktor to Dynamo. If and how that potentially alters his plans remains to be seen.

But when he is ready to come across the Atlantic to commence his pro career in North America, Nichushkin admitted he does have a couple destinations in mind he hopes he ends up.

“Philadelphia Flyers or New York Rangers, they are good teams, aren’t it?”

:rolleyes:

So in other words, Lou is going to draft him  :thumbsup:

I've noticed Shinkaruk is a popular choice around here lately. Does anyone else find it a bit odd that his production has gone down this season? Was his team worse? It's rare to see that in a top prospect.

So in other words, Lou is going to draft him  :thumbsup:

I've noticed Shinkaruk is a popular choice around here lately. Does anyone else find it a bit odd that his production has gone down this season? Was his team worse? It's rare to see that in a top prospect.

Shinkaruk did play 2 more games in 2011-12 and only had a 5 point difference so I'm not alarmed. Medicine Hat finished 4th in the Eastern Conference in 2011-12 with 90 points and 7th this year in the East with 75 points. He is still above a point per game (1.13) in his WHL career: 193 GP 100-119-219

Sean Monahan's drop reminds me of couture. If we get him I will run laps

for our projected spot, is that your guy? do you like him better than shinkaruk or lindholm? i feel like those will be the three that will be in our range (not that we'll have a choice of any of the three - just that one of them will likely be there).

Sean Monahan's drop reminds me of couture. If we get him I will run laps

Well if we're picking 9th (and there's a 90+% chance we are) I don't think it's too out of the realm of possibility for us to get him.

My question is do you think he'll take the long road toward NHL power forward or the shorter road. I've seen NHL power forwards take 6 years before they were even contributing (Todd Bertuzzi) and I've seen a few that were able to hack it in a good way in their first couple of seasons (Thomas Vanek, Johan Franzen, etc.).

In all honesty, I think that a Sean Monahan is exactly the kind of player (once he is fully developed, that is) that we need at least if I'm correct in thinking of him as a power forward type. I'm just concerned about him not being impactful until Kovalchuk's in his 7th year on contract.

I'm hoping for a Johan Franzen or Thomas Vanek type out of this draft. Is there anyone in that ilk that we could conceivably pick? Is Sean Monahan that guy?

Well if we're picking 9th (and there's a 90+% chance we are) I don't think it's too out of the realm of possibility for us to get him.

My question is do you think he'll take the long road toward NHL power forward or the shorter road. I've seen NHL power forwards take 6 years before they were even contributing (Todd Bertuzzi) and I've seen a few that were able to hack it in a good way in their first couple of seasons (Thomas Vanek, Johan Franzen, etc.).

In all honesty, I think that a Sean Monahan is exactly the kind of player (once he is fully developed, that is) that we need at least if I'm correct in thinking of him as a power forward type. I'm just concerned about him not being impactful until Kovalchuk's in his 7th year on contract.

I'm hoping for a Johan Franzen or Thomas Vanek type out of this draft. Is there anyone in that ilk that we could conceivably pick? Is Sean Monahan that guy?

From everything I've gathered, Monahan is essentially a Sean Couturier clone. Big two way center who has a wicked wrister.

I'm trying to think of guys who would definitely make the Devils next year. Only ones I can see are wingers like Lindholm, Shinkaruk or Drouin.

From everything I've gathered, Monahan is essentially a Sean Couturier clone. Big two way center who has a wicked wrister.

I'm trying to think of guys who would definitely make the Devils next year. Only ones I can see are wingers like Lindholm, Shinkaruk or Drouin.

Well I was all for drafting Couturier and I'm still not entirely sure I was wrong.

lindholm is a center and from what i'm reading, looks to be the same kind of player as josefson - smart two way player that needs to bulk up a bit with a best case as zetterberg and a worst case as a magnus arvedson.

i get the sense that monahan could be converted to wing much more easily.

lindholm is a center and from what i'm reading, looks to be the same kind of player as josefson - smart two way player that needs to bulk up a bit with a best case as zetterberg and a worst case as a magnus arvedson.

i get the sense that monahan could be converted to wing much more easily.

Heh I swore I saw Lindholm listed as a C/LW. Either way, I think it'd be a mistake to shift Monahan to the wing. He seems like the perfect center