2013 NHL Draft

Derlique

Yeah I agree with that RE: goalies

There's always the talk about whether the devils will go after a brodeur replacement in the draft. It never really seems to happen, but you never know.

This may have been mentioned before but Brodeur's eldest son is in the draft... He's still only in high school and a ways away but wouldn't be surprised if the devils didn't throw a pick at him.

This may have been mentioned before but Brodeur's eldest son is in the draft... He's still only in high school and a ways away but wouldn't be surprised if the devils didn't throw a pick at him.

I heard he wasn't good enough to get drafted. He'll probably end up in the org somehow if he's even ok though. But there's no way I touch a goalie at #9. How many good goalies were even first rounders at all? Keri Lehtonen and Carey Price I guess but those are all that immediatley come to mind 

I heard he wasn't good enough to get drafted. He'll probably end up in the org somehow if he's even ok though. But there's no way I touch a goalie at #9. How many good goalies were even first rounders at all? Keri Lehtonen and Carey Price I guess but those are all that immediatley come to mind 

Roberto Luongo, Al Montoya, and Rick DiPietro also come to mind.

Oh, you said good goalies.... I dunno then.

Edited by NewarkDevil5

Roberto Luongo, Al Montoya, and Rick DiPietro also come to mind.

Oh, you said good goalies.... I dunno then.

at least Luongo and DiPietro *were* good :P Though the Islanders shoulda taken Heatley. And Fleury's *ok* maybe but they should've taken Staal. Even the great amazing 2003 draft only had Fleury in the first round. 

edit: Schneider was also a first rounder though not that early (26th overall)

Edited by DH26

how in this discussion over good first round goalies was our's not mentioned? pretty sure the best goalie of all time counts as a quality first rounder. With that said, I agree I would be really disappointed with picking a goalie in the first round with how high of a pick we have despite the fact that I think Fucale is a REALLY good goalie. I just think that there are more pressing needs and more talented players that we should target instead, Plus we have Kinkaid who I watched a lot of at Union College and I think has a real chance to be something special here and it wouldn't require us using our second highest pick in 20 years when we have the draft at home.

Has anyone heard about when tickets go on sale for the draft?

how in this discussion over good first round goalies was our's not mentioned? pretty sure the best goalie of all time counts as a quality first rounder. With that said, I agree I would be really disappointed with picking a goalie in the first round with how high of a pick we have despite the fact that I think Fucale is a REALLY good goalie. I just think that there are more pressing needs and more talented players that we should target instead, Plus we have Kinkaid who I watched a lot of at Union College and I think has a real chance to be something special here and it wouldn't require us using our second highest pick in 20 years when we have the draft at home.

Has anyone heard about when tickets go on sale for the draft?

Because Brodeur was drafted two decades ago and IMO that qualifies as a different era.

I wouldn't mind a trade down with Columbus if they were interested.  Our 2nd + our 1st for 2 of their 1sts + a 3rd, something like that.  

I don't think trading down or trading up are sure things to be bad and good respectively - yeah, trading down hasn't always worked out for NJ, but that's usually because they are taking guys who are a bit unusual.

I wouldn't mind a trade down with Columbus if they were interested.  Our 2nd + our 1st for 2 of their 1sts + a 3rd, something like that.  

I don't think trading down or trading up are sure things to be bad and good respectively - yeah, trading down hasn't always worked out for NJ, but that's usually because they are taking guys who are a bit unusual.

Not to mention that the first round trade downs that they have done are usually for something like a third round pick, or going up a few spots in the second round.  The bust rate for first round picks is high enough.  When you get into even the second round, just getting a player that can be an every day NHL player is seen as a win.

I'm not usually a big NHL draft guy but the fact this year is in Newark it may be an interesting experience.

I know ticket prices and details haven't been announced yet.  Has anyone been to another NHL draft?  How much do tickets usually run?  Are all the concessions open?  What's the atmosphere like?

i wish i could see Monahan play... he seems like one of those guys that you have to see play to really judge and not by simply looking at highlights... he's not flashy and from all the highlights i saw i was really not impress by his offence... all his goals were random screened shots who got in or tap in goal in the crease or kind of johnny on the spot kinda goal. Of course its a skill to know where to go and everything but anyway... 

but you cant deny the good things he's doing when you look at his numbers and the team hes playing on so he's definitely doing something right and he's big

Edited by SterioDesign

I'm not usually a big NHL draft guy but the fact this year is in Newark it may be an interesting experience.

I know ticket prices and details haven't been announced yet. Has anyone been to another NHL draft? How much do tickets usually run? Are all the concessions open? What's the atmosphere like?

Tickets are free of you get them from the team. Prices on the secondary market may go up to 20

the draft is 100% run by the NHL, NOT the Devils. STH are going to be given two tickets per account (not per seat). They expect concessions to be open on the concourses but not the lounge.

they have no idea where the seats that sth will be or even if they'll be assigned - they know that there will be areas specifically assigned to the NHL which means the picks and their families.

The Devils draft picks by round and overall: 1 (9), 2 (39), 4 (100), 6 (160)

TSN's Top 10

1. D Seth Jones
2. C Nate MacKinnon
3. LW Jonathan Drouin
4. C Aleksander Barkov
5. LW Valeri Nichushkin
6. C Elias Lindholm
7. C Sean Monahan
8. D Rasmus Ristolainen
9. D Nikita Zadorov
T-10. C/RW Hunter Shinkaruk
T-10. D Darnell Nurse
HM: C/LW Max Domi

Interesting to see they have Nurse behind Ristolainen and Zadorov. I'm happy with the Devils being at 9. I think Shinkaruk is most likely to be there but who knows if Lindholm or Monahan fall.

The Devils draft picks by round and overall: 1 (9), 2 (39), 4 (100), 6 (160)

TSN's Top 10

1. D Seth Jones

2. C Nate MacKinnon

3. LW Jonathan Drouin

4. C Aleksander Barkov

5. LW Valeri Nichushkin

6. C Elias Lindholm

7. C Sean Monahan

8. D Rasmus Ristolainen

9. D Nikita Zadorov

T-10. C/RW Hunter Shinkaruk

T-10. D Darnell Nurse

HM: C/LW Max Domi

Interesting to see they have Nurse behind Ristolainen and Zadorov. I'm happy with the Devils being at 9. I think Shinkaruk is most likely to be there but who knows if Lindholm or Monahan fall.

It's not unusual to see one or two guys fall, so it won't shock me if the Devils get a shot at Nichushkin, Lindholm, or Monahan....of course, the Devils could get a shot and let those guys keep on falling. :lol:

It's probably been posted recently, but to put it next to the TSN top 10, this is where to find the ISS top 30, for anyone that wants to see it:  http://www.isshockey.com/iss-top-30/

1 Jones, Seth RD 10/3/1994 R 6.03.5 208 Portland WHL

2 Nichushkin, Valery F 3/4/1995 L 6.04 202 Chelyabinsk Traktor KHL

3 MacKinnon, Nathan C 9/1/1995 R 6.00 182 Halifax QMJHL

4 Drouin, Jonathan C 3/27/1995 L 5.10.75 185 Halifax QMJHL

5 Barkov, Sasha F 9/2/1995 L 6.03 209 Tappara FinE

6 Nurse, Darnell LD 2/4/1995 L 6.03.5 189 S.S. Marie OHL

7 Zadorov, Nikita LD 4/15/1995 L 6.05.25 230 London OHL

8 Lindholm, Elias C 12/2/1994 R 6.00 192 Brynas SweE

9 Monahan, Sean C 10/12/1994 L 6.02 186 Ottawa OHL

10 Horvat, Bo C 4/5/1995 L 6.00.25 200 London OHL

Edited by Devils731