2013 NHL Draft

Derlique

That's the first time I've seen Fucale that high, he seems to have moved up quite a bit.

I like Button since he isn't afraid to go against the grain. Button and Corey Pronman of Hockey Prospectus are nearly polar opposites when it comes to valuing goalies. While Button ranks Fucale as the 7th best prospect, Pronman had him as the 93rd. Future Considerations has Fucale as the 32nd best prospect and Hockey Prospect had him as the 14th. 

Mark Edwards who is the head of Hockey Prospect mentions he thinks the Devils could have interest in Fucale, though they'd be more likely to moving back to take him then taking him that early.

No more Swedes. 

I'm being only partially sarcastic:  I'd much rather the Devils draft a big NA kid than someone from the SEL or a related league.  Tedenby and Josefson have left a pretty sour taste in my mouth, although Larsson does looks solid.

Josefson is likely going to be a solid NHL player, too.  Tedenby was drafted at the end of the 1st round.  It's not hard to argue that Sweden could be the 2nd best hockey country at the international level in the not-too-distant future

No more Swedes. 

I'm being only partially sarcastic:  I'd much rather the Devils draft a big NA kid than someone from the SEL or a related league.  Tedenby and Josefson have left a pretty sour taste in my mouth, although Larsson does looks solid.

If Lindholm is there at 9, you've got to take him. I agree that Tedenby isn't looking very promising anymore, but Josefson hasn't had a fair shot at showing what he can do for most of his career as a Devil. When he was given some better ice time toward the end of this season, he showed that he is a pretty talented player. I wouldn't be surprised if he gets converted to a winger because I see him as a top 6 guy in the future. He just needs to work on that shot some more.

Aside from that, Lindholm is a much more highly regarded prospect than Josefson was. I'd say he's way ahead of Zibanejad, too. Lindholm is getting compared to Backstrom a lot.

On a somewhat related note, I believe Lindholm is signed with Brynas for 2013-2014. I wonder how much (if at all) this will cause him to drop. It seems that some of the teams in the 5-8 range are teams that want to win now. That extra year could mean something to them.

If Lindholm is there at 9, you've got to take him. I agree that Tedenby isn't looking very promising anymore, but Josefson hasn't had a fair shot at showing what he can do for most of his career as a Devil. When he was given some better ice time toward the end of this season, he showed that he is a pretty talented player. I wouldn't be surprised if he gets converted to a winger because I see him as a top 6 guy in the future. He just needs to work on that shot some more.

Aside from that, Lindholm is a much more highly regarded prospect than Josefson was. I'd say he's way ahead of Zibanejad, too. Lindholm is getting compared to Backstrom a lot.

On a somewhat related note, I believe Lindholm is signed with Brynas for 2013-2014. I wonder how much (if at all) this will cause him to drop. It seems that some of the teams in the 5-8 range are teams that want to win now. That extra year could mean something to them.

While he signed with Brynas, I think I saw it mentioned somewhere that he had the ability to come play in the NHL, but would go back to the SEL if he didn't make the NHL. Kinda like Nichuskin. I might be mistaking him with someone else now though. I'll have to (re)find where I saw that.

While he signed with Brynas, I think I saw it mentioned somewhere that he had the ability to come play in the NHL, but would go back to the SEL if he didn't make the NHL. Kinda like Nichuskin. I might be mistaking him with someone else now though. I'll have to (re)find where I saw that.

This really isn't uncommon.

Also, I cannot see Josefson on the wing - I think that's where a decent bit of his troubles this year came from.  He's a pass-first player who's above-average defensively.

Also, I cannot see Josefson on the wing - I think that's where a decent bit of his troubles this year came from. He's a pass-first player who's above-average defensively.

If we end up with Monahan or Lindhom, what do we do with JJ if Loktionov ends up to be the real deal (ie. 40 pts this year)?

If we end up with Monahan or Lindhom, what do we do with JJ if Loktionov ends up to be the real deal (ie. 40 pts this year)?

Lindholm won't be playing in the NHL this coming year.  While I don't know that much about him, history will tell you that Monahan won't either.  So Josefson will probably get another year to show exactly what he can do.  In the long run, a center probably gets traded unless Loktionov decides to go back to Russia in 2014-2015, assuming the reports of a one year deal are accurate.

Lindholm won't be playing in the NHL this coming year. While I don't know that much about him, history will tell you that Monahan won't either. So Josefson will probably get another year to show exactly what he can do. In the long run, a center probably gets traded unless Loktionov decides to go back to Russia in 2014-2015, assuming the reports of a one year deal are accurate.

Probably should have been more clear. I was talking about next year.

Err 14-15

Edited by SMantzas

Also, I cannot see Josefson on the wing - I think that's where a decent bit of his troubles this year came from.  He's a pass-first player who's above-average defensively.

I honestly, could care less about that factor if I was looking at Lindholm or Nichuskin as a GM at the draft. What would a GM prefer? That he agree to play in the AHL? For what reason? It's not like the AHL is a much better league than the KHL or SEL, they're all men's league, unlike the CHL where you want to see a prospect move out of there quickly to see how they fare against full grown men. Only thing you could really say is a downside to it, is that you want them to get accustomed to the NA style game and the smaller ice surface.

To add to that, the kind of comparisons Nichuskin is drawing of being a big strong forward who loves to power to the net similar to Lindros, does not make me terribly concerned about how he'd manage over here. Sounds like his style of play will work well over here and there isn't the risk of having a player who's extremely skilled with the stick, but can't find his way in NA because of the speed of the game and the lack of space.

Edited by ATLL765

I honestly, could care less about that factor if I was looking at Lindholm or Nichuskin as a GM at the draft. What would a GM prefer? That he agree to play in the AHL? For what reason? It's not like the AHL is a much better league than the KHL or SEL, they're all men's league, unlike the CHL where you want to see a prospect move out of there quickly to see how they fare against full grown men. Only thing you could really say is a downside to it, is that you want them to get accustomed to the NA style game and the smaller ice surface.

it also matters because if they're still in the SEL or KHL, you're not getting them that season. if they're in the AHL, that possibility remains open.

it also matters because if they're still in the SEL or KHL, you're not getting them that season. if they're in the AHL, that possibility remains open.

So the whole issue is that you'd like to be able to have the opportunity to give the prospect a spot the moment he's ready, no matter when that is during the season? How many prospects really need a half season in the AHL to be ready that couldn't just use a whole extra year or development? The Devils don't like to rush prospects and it would seem to me that if someone isn't ready by training camp time, they're not going to suddenly find that extra gear 3 months down the line.

I just find this to be an EXTREMELY minor issue.

There's two situations that could occur:

A: Prospect is ready for NHL, gets spot at beginning of season.

B: Isn't ready by start of season, must wait until at least KHL season or SEL season is complete. Maybe somebody could chime in with when that happens because I have a feeling it's earlier than when the NHL season ends, which would give you the opportunity to bring him over later in the season a la Radulov.

EDIT: Wikipedia says KHL season ended on the 17th of April last year, so not that early. SEL season ends in March though, so that's not as bad.

Edited by ATLL765

Is there any possibility he could play the two positions differently? I'm not sure how common it is, but maybe he would be able shift his focus toward his offensive game. The reason I brought that up in the first place was because I thought I remember him being listed as a center and a left winger when he was drafted. I could be mistaken about that, though.

In any case, I do really have high hopes that he'll turn out for us.

I've given up on Tedenby but I think it's important to have patience with Josefson and Larsson. They both have a fair amount of NHL experience for their age and they'll only get better from it when they get into their primes years down the road. I know a lot of us want more offensively out of Josefson, but even if he doesn't develop that, I think he can be one of the best defensive centers in the league - and I'd gladly sign up for that.

--

Buzzing the Net catches up with draft eligible 6'4, 196 lbs D Dillon Heatherington who was Devils prospect Reece Scarlett's defense partner this year in Swift Current. On Scarlett he had this to say:

“I learned a lot from Reece,” said Heatherington. “He’s such a good player that I learned a lot from watching him play and how he handles situations on the ice. He has also helped me focus on defence since he has really carried our offensive defenceman role. He’s great at jumping in on the play and keeping the puck in the offensive zone.”

I'm sure the Devils scouts have had a good look at him with Scarlett and Black both being on the Broncos. His stock has really risen this year and he's ranked as follows: Hockey Prospect - 41st, Future Considerations - 36th, Central Scouting - 31st (NA Skaters), Hockey Prospectus - 49th, Craig Button - 39th, International Scouting Services - 27th...so he is in the range for the Devils 2nd pick.

So the whole issue is that you'd like to be able to have the opportunity to give the prospect a spot the moment he's ready, no matter when that is during the season? How many prospects really need a half season in the AHL to be ready that couldn't just use a whole extra year or development? The Devils don't like to rush prospects and it would seem to me that if someone isn't ready by training camp time, they're not going to suddenly find that extra gear 3 months down the line.

I just find this to be an EXTREMELY minor issue.

There's two situations that could occur:

A: Prospect is ready for NHL, gets spot at beginning of season.

B: Isn't ready by start of season, must wait until at least KHL season or SEL season is complete. Maybe somebody could chime in with when that happens because I have a feeling it's earlier than when the NHL season ends, which would give you the opportunity to bring him over later in the season a la Radulov.

EDIT: Wikipedia says KHL season ended on the 17th of April last year, so not that early. SEL season ends in March though, so that's not as bad.

SEL regular season ends...but playoffs can go on as long as late April. 

SEL regular season ends...but playoffs can go on as long as late April. 

Yeah, that didn't quite end up being the way it was in my head, but my point still stands. I still think it's a pretty minor issue that a prospect will go back overseas if he doesn't crack the NHL. Both leagues are good enough to push these guys to be better, so it's not like it's wasted time there and I don't feel like there's many guys who aren't ready by camp, but then become ready mid season.

Yeah, that didn't quite end up being the way it was in my head, but my point still stands. I still think it's a pretty minor issue that a prospect will go back overseas if he doesn't crack the NHL. Both leagues are good enough to push these guys to be better, so it's not like it's wasted time there and I don't feel like there's many guys who aren't ready by camp, but then become ready mid season.

The issue isn't really this.  It's that the player isn't immediately signing up to be the team's lackey and do whatever they want.  The player should demand nothing at all, who says he's good enough to ever make the NHL team?  NHL teams are so full of themselves that they think their roster decisions are the Word of God - there are some players willing to dispute that.

Speaking of Lindholm, Hockeyprospectus, which I discovered recently, ranks him as number 6, and says that he's the last of the group that safely project to be future stars, the other ones being Jones, MacKinnon, Drouin, Barkov and Nischuskin. 

I feel that we need to move the 39th pick rather than our 9th pick. If we can turn 39th into a late or even mid first rounder, I feel we are in great shape. No 1st next year, so I would try to get another this year.. There are some players that could slip, but I wouldn't risk it. This is a golden opportunity to stock the forward prospect pool with better talent. 

I know some people from HF are meeting up at the Ale House before the draft. How would everyone here feel about having our own pre-draft get together? Whether it be at the Ale House or Dino's or someplace.

Is this in NYC or Hoboken?