2013 NHL Draft

Derlique

He is the media writer to SBN which is not SI or ESPN.

Again, media writer for an online publication.

That gives him as much credentials as any blogger on the internet.

Steve has more credentials in the background and Media connections that most bloggers wish they had. That being said he is known for voicing his opinion.

I didn't win either. I got excited when I saw the email header. Blah!

Steve has more credentials in the background and Media connections that most bloggers wish they had. That being said he is known for voicing his opinion.

I didn't win either. I got excited when I saw the email header. Blah!

He only voiced his opinion about the process after the winners and non-winners were notified today. Obviously he entered the raffle and lost. I guess he doesn't have that strong of credentials.

He only voiced his opinion about the process after the winners and non-winners were notified today. Obviously he entered the raffle and lost. I guess he doesn't have that strong of credentials.

...where does it say that on his twitter? You have no evidence he even entered. Maybe he only said this after he saw that season ticket holders were winning? 

...where does it say that on his twitter? You have no evidence he even entered. Maybe he only said this after he saw that season ticket holders were winning?

And how would you and him know only season ticket holders were winning? Because like you said between one person here and HF boards only one or people won and they were STH?

Devils made no secret of the process for the last two weeks. For him to bash the process within thirty minutes of the emails going out is pretty glaring what was going on.

And how would you and him know only season ticket holders were winning? Because like you said between one person here and HF boards only one or people won and they were STH?

Devils made no secret of the process for the last two weeks. For him to bash the process within thirty minutes of the emails going out is pretty glaring what was going on.

True, clearly he was reading here or HF, because he mentioned it on Twitter which apparently no one uses.

So far you've impugned Steve's credentials then questioned his motives.  Pretty standard stuff.  While I don't agree with him, I don't see any reason to make these assumptions.

EDIT:  Also, like DH26 said, pretty sure he could get credentialed to attend the draft (I know an SBN blogger got in this way last year), don't see why that would interest someone who comments on media

Edited by Triumph

True, clearly he was reading here or HF, because he mentioned it on Twitter which apparently no one uses.

So far you've impugned Steve's credentials then questioned his motives. Pretty standard stuff. While I don't agree with him, I don't see any reason to make these assumptions.

EDIT: Also, like DH26 said, pretty sure he could get credentialed to attend the draft (I know an SBN blogger got in this way last year), don't see why that would interest someone who comments on media

I just find it very interesting he started bitching about the devils handling it within thirty minutes of the emails going out when he knew for a while how the devils were doing this. I could totally be wrong on this but I am just connecting the dots on this. If he didn't enter the raffle and lost and is getting in with his credentials, why is he bitching about it anyways?

Plus everyone here knows I bitch all the time about the way devils handle these things especially when it comes to fan experience. When I am actually siding with the devils on something like this that alone should say something. I just keep thinking of how they could have done this better and quite honestly I can't. A raffle is far better than have a day of line a la $10 ticket line nightmare or doing a ticketmaster set time sell off like Springsteen tickets. And we all know how well those usually turn out too.

I still can't get over the amount of people whining about this. It's one thing to be disappointed after losing the raffle. That I totally understand. What I don't understand is the stubborn attitude people are taking by refusing to buy tickets simply because they were free for others.

Saying "I REALLY wanted to go to the draft, I've been waiting all year for it, it sucks I can't go" and then passing on the opportunity to purchase tickets on eBay or Craigslist is just asinine. If you want to go so bad, just buy the damn tickets!

Yes, it would have been nice to win tickets for free...but that ship has sailed, for now anyway. If you want to be there, just suck it up and buy a ticket.

Edited by JWomp

I still can't get over the amount of people whining about this. It's one thing to be disappointed after losing the raffle. That I totally understand. What I don't understand is the stubborn attitude people are taking by refusing to buy tickets simply because they were free for others.

Saying "I REALLY wanted to go to the draft, I've been waiting all year for it, it sucks I can't go" and then passing on the opportunity to purchase tickets on eBay or Craigslist is just asinine. If you want to go so bad, just buy the damn tickets!

Yes, it would have been nice to win tickets for free...but that ship has sailed, for now anyway. If you want to be there, just suck it up and buy a ticket.

People on Craigslist and EBay are going for 100 for one ticket. Plus, you don't even know if they are legit or not

I just find it very interesting he started bitching about the devils handling it within thirty minutes of the emails going out when he knew for a while how the devils were doing this. I could totally be wrong on this but I am just connecting the dots on this. If he didn't enter the raffle and lost and is getting in with his credentials, why is he bitching about it anyways?

How is this a stubborn attitude? The tickets are free and someone claimed them to make a profit getting in the way of someone who could've claimed them that wanted to go for free and enjoy the event. The tickets themselves even say "Not for resale", so the ticket license is being violated. Its actually a crime in New Jersey for a "season ticket holder to sell a ticket to any event held in the state for more than 50% above the price the broker or season ticket holder paid" If an STH is selling draft tickets they received directly from the team its technically illegal and a civil court would find you guilty in a heartbeat if someone decided to take that person to court, but obviously this is never if ever enforced by police. You're not selling your game tickets, you're selling something you received as a complimentary gift for being a season ticket holder. New Jersey has some of the strongest ticket resale laws in the entire country.

It's a completely logical reaction when the overall majority of spectating attendees are attending for free. If someone wants to spend $100 on a ticket to the draft more power to them, but who are you to say it's stubborn because someone refuses to pay that exorbitant amount for an event where you're sitting watching people's names get read for hours on end? Your reaction sounds like someone whose losing sales and is upset by the fact that people are turning down the grossly inflated non-existent to begin with prices.

I'm not complaining. I've got my ticket and for the drawings I've entered that have yet to be claimed should I be named a winner, I'm going to give them away to other fans that were shut out. That's my choice. It's completely disgusting to be complaining that someone isn't buying something if they feel its overpriced. If someone wants to go and has the disposable income that sees a value in spending more than it costs to go to a playoff game to attend the draft, they will.

How is this a stubborn attitude? The tickets are free and someone claimed them to make a profit getting in the way of someone who could've claimed them that wanted to go for free and enjoy the event. The tickets themselves even say "Not for resale", so the ticket license is being violated. Its actually a crime in New Jersey for a "season ticket holder to sell a ticket to any event held in the state for more than 50% above the price the broker or season ticket holder paid" If an STH is selling draft tickets they received directly from the team its technically illegal and a civil court would find you guilty in a heartbeat if someone decided to take that person to court, but obviously this is never if ever enforced by police. You're not selling your game tickets, you're selling something you received as a complimentary gift for being a season ticket holder. New Jersey has some of the strongest ticket resale laws in the entire country.

It's a completely logical reaction when the overall majority of spectating attendees are attending for free. If someone wants to spend $100 on a ticket to the draft more power to them, but who are you to say it's stubborn because someone refuses to pay that exorbitant amount for an event where you're sitting watching people's names get read for hours on end? Your reaction sounds like someone whose losing sales and is upset by the fact that people are turning down the grossly inflated non-existent to begin with prices.

I'm not complaining. I've got my ticket and for the drawings I've entered that have yet to be claimed should I be named a winner, I'm going to give them away to other fans that were shut out. That's my choice. It's completely disgusting to be complaining that someone isn't buying something if they feel its overpriced. If someone wants to go and has the disposable income that sees a value in spending more than it costs to go to a playoff game to attend the draft, they will.

My point is...if someone wants to go to the draft that bad, they should just buy a ticket. Problem solved.

Well, obviously. But unfortunately Stubhub isnt an option and I live in South Jersey so I have limited contacts who are Devils STH

I still think prices will drop as the draft gets closer. People are just trying to cash in right now and not all of them are going to succeed.

My point is...if someone wants to go to the draft that bad, they should just buy a ticket. Problem solved.

Well, obviously. But your attitude about people being stubborn is fvcking ridiculous espc when the tickets are not legal to be sold in the state in the first place. Why do you think the sales are banned on StubHub?

Edited by ghdi

Have you considered that not only might he not be going, he might not be interested in going (he comments on media - why would he go to the draft instead of watching it on TV), but that he sees fellow fans angry and is upset about it?

To see fans angry about not getting in is one thing but to declare that the devils dropped the ball on this is another. With the response they got he knew a lot of people were going to be upset and bitter so why is he acting surprised about it and saying the devils failed at it?

What is his brilliant alternative to this?

Well, obviously. But your attitude about people being stubborn is fvcking ridiculous espc when the tickets are not legal to be sold in the state in the first place. Why do you think the sales are banned on StubHub?

How is it ridiculous? Someone who wants to go to the draft, but isn't buying tickets based on the principal of not wanting to see someone profit off of something they got for free, is, by definition, stubborn.

For the past two to three years when the Devils would hold season ticket holder exclusive events like the team awards, team BBQ/meet and greet, and the team autograph sessions, I always wanted to go. Well, unfortunately for me I wasn't a season ticket holder at the time. What did I do? I bought tickets from a season ticket holder, who...GASP...got them for free as a perk for being a season ticket holder! What nerve, to sell something they got for free!

Edited by JWomp

There was NO need to give every STH bonus tickets. Give them as many as they have for season tickets and that's it. No that it would've been much more but it woulda been something, not this asinine stupidity where we might have to be seat fillers to get in

Many sth's didn't even get that unless they were able to get extras. Every sth account got two to start with, even if it was an eight-seat account.

Edited by NJDevs4978

How is it ridiculous? Someone who wants to go to the draft, but isn't buying tickets based on the principal of not wanting to see someone profit off of something they got for free, is, by definition, stubborn.

For the past two to three years when the Devils would hold season ticket holder exclusive events like the team awards, team BBQ/meet and greet, and the team autograph sessions, I always wanted to go. Well, unfortunately for me I wasn't a season ticket holder at the time. What did I do? I bought tickets from a season ticket holder, who...GASP...got them for free as a perk for being a season ticket holder! What nerve, to sell something they got for free!

Hey, Im happy you got to attend those events. I mean that. Im not trying to attack you personally. I'm trying to show the side of the fan who may invest lots in this team but may not have the money for STH or time for STH. I think its absolutely right that STH get priority and get tickets to this event first. I don't believe they should be entitled to multiple extras when no team in the league did it like that. The Pens took care of all their STHs last year, you got one draft ticket for each seat you paid for. The Devils decided to do it differently and it sounds like some STHs got their right amount, and some didnt i.e. the guy with 6 seats who only got 4 tickets.

And how much did you pay for a ticket to a BBQ? 10? 20? Some of these draft tickets are 100+. Its one thing to make a bit back to cover your beer tab or dinner that night. I think thats perfectly fair and if I needed tickets, I would say 20-30 would be a value. Its the FLEECING that I find disgusting.

Edited by ghdi

Hey, Im happy you got to attend those events. I mean that. Im not trying to attack you personally. I'm trying to show the side of the fan who may invest lots in this team but may not have the money for STH or time for STH. 

And how much did you pay for a ticket to a BBQ? 10? 20? Some of these draft tickets are 100+. Its one thing to make a bit back to cover your beer tab or dinner that night. I think thats perfectly fair and if I needed tickets, I would say 20-30 would be a value. Its the FLEECING that I find disgusting.

I understand, it's nothing personal.

I've paid upwards of $50 to some of the exclusive STH events, but to me, it's been worth it.

Unfortunately, for some fans, it's just going to come down to whether or not attending the draft is worth spending money on or not. If they truly want to be there, they shouldn't miss out on it over a few dollars considering it's a once- or twice-in-a-lifetime event. Trust me, I wish people weren't in this situation, but with a one-day draft this year, seating is limited and that's the reality of the situation.

I understand, it's nothing personal.

I've paid upwards of $50 to some of the exclusive STH events, but to me, it's been worth it.

Unfortunately, for some fans, it's just going to come down to whether or not attending the draft is worth spending money on or not. If they truly want to be there, they shouldn't miss out on it over a few dollars considering it's a once- or twice-in-a-lifetime event. Trust me, I wish people weren't in this situation, but with a one-day draft this year, seating is limited and that's the reality of the situation.

I totally agree with you here. Its up to each person to decide what they value this event. I totally side with the STH's in that they should have priority over everyone after the attendees and their families. However, the majority of "public" sales of these tickets are in the realm of stupid right now and its going to prevent people who really want a chance to attend it not to because of an exorbitant fee that an STH feels they're entitled to. While some may think they deserve this just b/c they're STHs, its against the law for a reason.

I don't agree that this event was handled entirely properly by the team. I think they gave the STH's a bit too much leeway in terms of how many tickets they could acquire and did not give the normal fan a fighter's chance at getting them. I get that this event is rare and its even rarer this year b/c its all jammed into one day. I've got a ticket, I'm not arguing this for my own self and my description of the laws was only intended to drive the point home. What the sellers (and some are advertising Hey Rangers, Islanders, Flyers fans!) who are charging exorbitant fees are doing is completely wrong. The protected venues for the sale of tickets (StubHub, Ticketmaster Marketplace) are closed to the sale of these tickets because of this.

I totally agree with you here. Its up to each person to decide what they value this event. I totally side with the STH's in that they should have priority over everyone after the attendees and their families. However, the majority of "public" sales of these tickets are in the realm of stupid right now and its going to prevent people who really want a chance to attend it not to because of an exorbitant fee that an STH feels they're entitled to. While some may think they deserve this just b/c they're STHs, its against the law for a reason.

I don't agree that this event was handled entirely properly by the team. I think they gave the STH's a bit too much leeway in terms of how many tickets they could acquire and did not give the normal fan a fighter's chance at getting them. I get that this event is rare and its even rarer this year b/c its all jammed into one day. I've got a ticket, I'm not arguing this for my own self and my description of the laws was only intended to drive the point home. What the sellers (and some are advertising Hey Rangers, Islanders, Flyers fans!) who are charging exorbitant fees are doing is completely wrong. The protected venues for the sale of tickets (StubHub, Ticketmaster Marketplace) are closed to the sale of these tickets because of this.

Yeah, I understand what you're saying. People selling for $100 is crazy. I think between $25 and $50 is a "fair" price given the situation.