2013 Jets Thread

NJDevs4978

Am I the only one who doesn't hate this pick? 

Yes.  This is a terrible pick for a team that needs so much more.   It really doesn't matter who is at QB when the season starts as they will be handicapped without any quality WR's, TE" or even a RB.   Just like last year, the Jets QB is a sitting duck in constant 3rd and long situation.    Hopefully, Sanchez can escape and rejuvenate his career as a back-up for a year and getting his fundemental's back.   Sanchez is a good QB, but needs a better environment.

Woody cannot help himself when it comes to acquiring a QB that can sell jerseys

Dead on Beezer.  Woody is not about winning, it is about finding ways to get press (usually for the wrong things) and sell merchandise and PSL's.   Winning is clearly, NOT a priority.

Correction to my other post:  I didn't realize you got Ivory.   Great acquisition, but not sure how effective he can be if no one fears your passing game or your mediocre OL.

Geno Smith = Akilli Smith 2.0.

fvck Woody Johnson, fvck the Jets.  

You go in already with 5 QB's.  Why the fvck Teblow is still here, I will never fvcking know.  Geno was a WASTE of a pick in the 2nd round. 

I like the Ivory deal, and the beefing up of the OL, but I didn't like the Richardson pick.  

You go in already with 5 QB's?

..six if you include Simms..

I never thought the Jets would've selected Smith.. although, I never expected Tebow to still be here come the month of May either, and yet, here we are. Obviously they're not going to stay with 6 QB's by the time the season starts, so here's my two-cents on how I predict the whole thing will play out.

•Mark Sanchez; Starting QB. Too much money wrapped in him not to be.

•Geno Smith; Backup QB. The savior who'll come in if Sanchez is benched.

•David Garrard; Third string quarterback.

•Greg McElroy; Traded. Only QB on the roster that teams would trade for.

•Matt Simms; Practice Squad.

•Tim Tebow; Moved to fullback. Think about it.. WHY ELSE IS HE STILL ON THIS TEAM?? I think Tebow himself knows his career is over, and I don't think convincing him to change positions is as insurmountable as it was last year. He knows no one wants him, so it's either this or the CFL.

Edited by Beezer34

It's official Tebow FINALLY released from the Jets.   Anyone who thought this acquisition was a good one should just hand in their NFL posting creditionals.   This was a merchandising and PSL ploy from the start.

His NFL career is officially over.

It's official Tebow FINALLY released from the Jets.   Anyone who thought this acquisition was a good one should just hand in their NFL posting creditionals.   This was a merchandising and PSL ploy from the start.

His NFL career is officially over.

If you hate Sanchez, you can see Tebow as a win in that it was one more nail in his coffin. 

Anyhoo, the Jets did nothing to improve their team in this offseason, exept maybe Chris Ivory.  The Geno Smith thing seems like it'll end badly.    The NFL is a cargo cult science kind of league in that bad teams look at the success that teams that are already good like the Seahawks and the Niners have with mobile QBs that run the read option and just say we'll draft a QB like that in the second or third round and it'll work for us.  (The planes don't land). 

They probably botched the Tavon Austin situation and should have taken Eiffert with the 13th pick to immediately upgrade what was clearly the team's biggest issue, no weapons for Sanchez or whoever the QB might be.  Next year if you score 17 points against the Jets, you'll probably end up winning.

If you hate Sanchez, you can see Tebow as a win in that it was one more nail in his coffin. 

Anyhoo, the Jets did nothing to improve their team in this offseason, exept maybe Chris Ivory.  The Geno Smith thing seems like it'll end badly.    The NFL is a cargo cult science kind of league in that bad teams look at the success that teams that are already good like the Seahawks and the Niners have with mobile QBs that run the read option and just say we'll draft a QB like that in the second or third round and it'll work for us.  (The planes don't land). 

They probably botched the Tavon Austin situation and should have taken Eiffert with the 13th pick to immediately upgrade what was clearly the team's biggest issue, no weapons for Sanchez or whoever the QB might be.  Next year if you score 17 points against the Jets, you'll probably end up winning.

I like Sanchez, but Tebow had the whole year to supplant him and couldn't.

I agree with your assessment of the Jets, aside form Ivory, I think the offseason has been terrible.  This too me, was a really bad draft for a team with so many other needs.

I like Sanchez, but Tebow had the whole year to supplant him and couldn't.

Please. The Jets brought in Tebow as a pure publicity stunt and never gave him any sort of chance to supplant Sanchez. Sparano did nothing for him. When Sanchez was playing like a sh!thead, they never even gave him a start. I get Tebow is probably not going to be much of an NFL QB, at least in a "typical" offense, but when a team has plays for the guy and actually gives him a chance, he has succeeded. I hope he gets a shot and destroys the Jets. The Jets wanted to dominate the back pages and they did.

I long considered the Jets my 2nd team, but being an adult and local compared to when I was a kid and local seeing how this team operates on a day to day basis, Im surprised they have any fans left. Woody Johnson is a complete dope and I would be demanding him to sell the team if I was a fan. Outside of the Cleveland Browns, the Jets probably have the biggest moron in the game for an owner.

The Woody Johnson hate is a bit misguided. He's not a perfect owner, but he's much better than Hess. Look at the Jets records since Johnson became owner. It's better than league average. 

With Johnson we have a hiccup and are then good again

With Hess we went through endless stretches of horrible play. And not 6-10 bad. 1-15, 3-13, 4-12 bad.

This was a very weak draft for top end offensive talent, and Tavon Austin is a midget. Even smaller than Desean Jackson. He's not going up to get any footballs. And I'm not sure he can stand up to an NFL beating

Edited by '7'

The Woody Johnson hate is a bit misguided. He's not a perfect owner, but he's much better than Hess. Look at the Jets records since Johnson became owner. It's better than league average. 

With Hess we went through endless stretches of horrible play. And not 6-10 bad. 1-15, 3-13, 4-12 bad.

This was a very weak draft for top end offensive talent, and Tavon Austin is a midget. Even smaller than Desean Jackson. He's not going up to get any footballs. And I'm not sure he can stand up to an NFL beating

Since 1997, the Jets are 134-122, and have made the playoffs 7 times in 16 seasons, including three AFC Championship games (0-3 in those games, but all were on the road, and the Jets weren't the favorite in any of them).  They've been .500 or better in 12 out of those 16 seasons.  It's not dynasty stuff, but it's far from embarrassing, and much better than what they were overall before '97.     

The problem with the Jets is when they DO fail, they do it in a way that seems to make for entertaining headline fodder and radio talk, which has a way of making the Jets seem like much a less successful franchise, and more of a laughingstock, than they've really been.  It also doesn't help that the Patriots seem put to up gaudy regular-season records almost every season...178-78 and 12 playoff appearances since '97.  But that kind of sustained success is very rare, and if the Patriots didn't have Brady (who only got a shot due to freak accident), it wouldn't have ever happened. 

The Giants are 141-115 over the same time frame (not really THAT much better in the regular season...7 wins difference over 16 years), with 8 playoff appearances, but they of course won the Big One twice, were the underdog both times, and pulled off one of the greatest Super Bowl upsets of all time, so the fact that they were one-and-done in five of those playoff appearances and failed to win a playoff game the season after winning the Super Bowl gets glossed over (by comparison, the Jets have won at least once playoff game in five out of their seven playoff appearances since '97).   

BTW, the Bills are 109-147 since '97, and haven't sniffed the playoffs since '99.  Haven't won a playoff game since '95.  Now THAT'S futility!

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

I think a lot of Jets fans would heartily disagree with you on Johnson, especially season ticket holders.

Hess was not as greedy as Johnson and the fans are the ones now paying for Johnson in overpaying for the team.  Hess was the last owner not to make fans pay for exhibition games, what Johnson has impliemented is for increased parking fees, trying to mandate NO TAILGATING policies and PSL's.  

if Hess still owned the Jets their is no telling how great the Jets could have been with Parcells and Bellichek over the long term.

The only reason these two left was because they did not like Johnson.   Parcell's actually turned this laughing stock franchise around, Woody has basically changed to profile to that of an insecure management and now the team be forever associated with the "Clown Car".

I think a lot of Jets fans would heartily disagree with you on Johnson, especially season ticket holders.

Hess was not as greedy as Johnson and the fans are the ones now paying for Johnson in overpaying for the team.  Hess was the last owner not to make fans pay for exhibition games, what Johnson has impliemented is for increased parking fees, trying to mandate NO TAILGATING policies and PSL's.  

if Hess still owned the Jets their is no telling how great the Jets could have been with Parcells and Bellichek over the long term.

The only reason these two left was because they did not like Johnson.   Parcell's actually turned this laughing stock franchise around, Woody has basically changed to profile to that of an insecure management and now the team be forever associated with the "Clown Car".

Parcells turned the franchise around...why? Because he had to, because idiot Hess never gave Pete Carroll a fair shake, because Hess told Dick Steinberg he only wanted "family friendly" players. His daughter saw on TV that Rich Kotite had been fired in Philly and Leon just had to have him! Is that a good decision? How about choosing Walton over Walt Michaels to coach the team through the 80's (Walton steadily destroyed the solid foundation that was put in place from 1979-1982). Hess was an enormous screwup.

Ask the Jets fans from Queens to Montauk what they think about Hess.

if Hess still owned the Jets he would have been 99. He was 85 when he died. The Jets never had Brady so if Belichick stuck around I doubt the results would've been positive.

parcells didn't like Johnson but he was ok working for Jerry Jones? How does that make sense?

No one was complaining about Woody Johnson a few years ago when the Jets drafted Sanchez and made it to those two championship games.  And no one was complaining when the Jets were 8-2 when Favre was brought in. 

From everything you hear, Johnson actually wants that stability that the Giants have coaching wise.  Sometimes to a fault in that he's probably kept Rex around longer than he should have.

There's also a lot of hypocrisy from Jets fans.  They all hate Sanchez, but the Jets end up drafting a QB in the second round that a lot of analysists thought was the best QB in the draft, and it's also an awful move.  Not every team is lucky enough to need a QB and be in a position to draft Andrew Luck or RGIII. 

So far as greed, if you had to plop down hundreds of millions for a new stadium, you need to recoup those costs somehow when you can only hope to play something like 8 to 10 home games in a particular year. 

Jets have a lot of problems.  The owner really has little to do with it. 

I am not a Jet fan, but I have tons of friends who are/were long time season ticket holders and they can't stand what Woody has done to their team.   I can't only reflect on their travails comparing the two owners.   Perhaps it is the new business climate of sports more so than anything.

I am not a Jet fan, but I have tons of friends who are/were long time season ticket holders and they can't stand what Woody has done to their team.   I can't only reflect on their travails comparing the two owners.   Perhaps it is the new business climate of sports more so than anything.

There was really never this golden age of owners.  Maybe tickets didn't cost as much, but the players got paid very little in comparison to what owners brought in.  Jim Irsay moved the Colts out of Baltimore in the middle of the night (quite justifiably in my mind, considering the city of Baltimore essentially wanted to confiscate the team) and Art Modell (one of the old time owners) moved the Browns out of Cleveland.  I remember them selling "George Must Go" t-shirts outside of Yankee stadium in the early 90s.

Or you can look no further than the Devils.  I remember McMullen getting booed when the Devils won their first cup with the relocation rumors.  I remember fans complaining that he was the ultimate cheap skate when it came to player salaries.  Then we get VBK, who got a new arena, assured the team would stay in NJ and was willing to spend big money on players.  He overextended himself in the process, and now everyone hates him.  There's also Charles Wang.  The man has sunk a lot of his own money into the team and kept the Isles in New York even when he could have made more money selling to someone who would have moved the team.  Yet, according to some Isles fans, he's history's greatest monster.

And apparently David Garrard has to retire due to knee issues.  Too bad, he was at least a nice insurance policy in case Sanchez blew up and Geno wasn't ready.  But it looks like it's all down to Sanchez-Geno for the starting role now.

@AdamSchein

Quote:
Text from Garrard: "Having to call it quits. My knee is not holding up. Continuing to swell after practices. Limiting what I can do."

And apparently David Garrard has to retire due to knee issues.  Too bad, he was at least a nice insurance policy in case Sanchez blew up and Geno wasn't ready.  But it looks like it's all down to Sanchez-Geno for the starting role now.

@AdamSchein

Quote:
Text from Garrard: "Having to call it quits. My knee is not holding up. Continuing to swell after practices. Limiting what I can do."

All of a sudden the drafting of Geno Smith doesn't look quite as bad....

I would still like another vet brought in from somewhere. Tyler Thigpen perhaps

Edited by '7'