2013 Jets Thread

NJDevs4978

Honestly, this is one of those damned if you do, damned if you don't moves. If Sanchez doesn't go in there, Rex is blamed for not giving him as many reps as possible, or messing with Sanchez's confidence.

..bingo

It's hysterical how Rex is being taken to task about putting Sanchez in there to try and win a meaningless game. Yet Tom Coughlin extended the game on 3 occasions.. 1 FG to head into OT, and 2 TO's to ice the kickers --which both worked.. yet he's not reckless for trying to win the same stupid preseason game?? Stevie Brown is gone for the year thanks to the opening kick-off in overtime, and somehow TC's teflon.

Slack tends to be extended when you, ya know, win two Super Bowls. Edited by MadDog2020

To be fair, you get a little slack when you win two superbowls

he does...that's why last years hazing incident for the Giants got swept under the rug. I can't understand winners get more slack, but his douchebaggish antics are still douchebaggish. 

and in a move that will certainlly push someone here over the edge, the jets have released braylon edwards

..hardly. This is a standard cap-friendly move that I saw coming.. and the fact that he wasn’t released with the other 14 players six hours ago, proves to me that a personal wink-wink-nod-nod meeting must’ve taken place this morning to; “stay in shape for the call after Week 1.” As much as I love Bray, I can’t argue with this move. Ryan Spadola would NOT have made it to the practice-squad. He would have been picked up by another team in a second, and turned into the next Woodhead. Edwards however will be available later on this season when the Jets resign him. - -and they will resign him. With Spadola, Hill, Holmes, Kerley, & Massaquoi all locks for the top 5 positions, the Jets need to use this last game with the Eagles to see Gates & Obomanu duke it out for that last 6th spot. They already know what they have in BE, and he proved that these last 2 games catching 72 yards on 5 receptions. Having him play on Thursday would’ve been silly, because it would be taking reps away from the younger guys.

The opening day roster for the Jets last season had 5 WR’s on it. Yet after the year had ended, a total of 10 WR’s had played at least 1 game for the team. (Santonio Holmes, Jeremy Kerley, Stephen Hill, Patrick Turner, Braylon Edwards, Clyde Gates, Royce Pollard, Chaz Schilens, Scotty McKnight and Jordan White) Injuries happen, and when they do, Braylon will be the call-up.. thereby allowing the Jets to simply inactivate him whenever they feel, without having to go through the waiver process. He’s a fan favorite and an Idzik guy. He’ll return at some point.

Edited by Beezer34

True, but the Jets are the most comically inept. You can't avoid watching this train wreck.

if you think so, fine...whatever. Start your own Jets haters thread and feed your obsession there. Just stop trolling here

I can't imagine following a sport for the sole purpose of hating a franchise.

True, but the Jets are the most comically inept. You can't avoid watching this train wreck.

I understand the Jets have invited much of this criticism from the outside world, what with the whole butt-fumbling and Tebow fiasco(s) last year. However, I do feel like a little perspective is needed over the Rex era in general. A 14-18 overall record over these last two seasons hardly constitutes as a "train wreck" squad. Particularly when 4 of those losses last seasons really could've been wins had just one-thing gone right for this team. Injuries happen.. it's football, I understand that. But if you're going to say that much of the 11 wins from the 2010 season were of good fortune (not saying you, but he knows who he is) you should be able to look at last season objectively and say the Jets really fell on some bad luck. Okay.. maybe we still don't make the playoffs, that's fair, I can agree with that. But you wouldn't have to win 9 or 10 games for this regime to be looked at differently. If the Jets ended 2012 with an 8-8 record, instead of 6-10, I don't think there would be any witch hunt to fire a coach going into his 5th year having never had a losing record.

..again, I'm not trying to give any allowances to this organization, and how the front office has handled things as a whole. I just think there's a difference between; World Beaters -&- Train Wreck.

Since 1997, the Jets are 134-122, and have made the playoffs 7 times in 16 seasons, including three AFC Championship games (0-3 in those games, but all were on the road, and the Jets weren't the favorite in any of them).  They've been .500 or better in 12 out of those 16 seasons.  It's not dynasty stuff, but it's far from embarrassing, and much better than what they were overall before '97.     

The problem with the Jets is when they DO fail, they do it in a way that seems to make for entertaining headline fodder and radio talk, which has a way of making the Jets seem like much a less successful franchise, and more of a laughingstock, than they've really been.  It also doesn't help that the Patriots seem put to up gaudy regular-season records almost every season...178-78 and 12 playoff appearances since '97.  But that kind of sustained success is very rare, and if the Patriots didn't have Brady (who only got a shot due to freak accident), it wouldn't have ever happened. 

The Giants are 141-115 over the same time frame (not really THAT much better in the regular season...7 wins difference over 16 years), with 8 playoff appearances, but they of course won the Big One twice, were the underdog both times, and pulled off one of the greatest Super Bowl upsets of all time, so the fact that they were one-and-done in five of those playoff appearances and failed to win a playoff game the season after winning the Super Bowl gets glossed over (by comparison, the Jets have won at least once playoff game in five out of their seven playoff appearances since '97).   

BTW, the Bills are 109-147 since '97, and haven't sniffed the playoffs since '99.  Haven't won a playoff game since '95.  Now THAT'S futility!

Quoting this because it's still relevant today.

The Jets are not NEARLY as bad as some make them out to be, they're really not.  There's teams with FAR worse track records and futility than what the Jets have done since '97.  The resume since '97 isn't spectacular, but it's solid.     

Carpenters 81.9% puts him 21st in NFL history for field goal percentage. That's pretty good. 

The Jets have always brought in guys to compete with Folk. Bringing in Carpenter makes sense now that they've cut Cundiff.

Carpenter was 20-22 under 50 yards last year. Truly putrid.

People are just grasping for straws now with the Jets. If Rex Ryan drops his notes you'll have fish fans (and mantaray) cackling like Homer Simpson from that college episode. Meanwhile Miami hasn't been relevant in decades and plays in front of 12 people. But oh those Jets!

Edited by '7'

Carpenter blows from 45 and further, he used to be money but these last couple of years he's been very shaky (and I have no idea why, because this dude nailed a 60-yarder just 3 years ago in a game against Green Bay). His sh!tty kicking cost us two games last year, including the Jets game in Miami. He's fine from 40 and under, but his long distance struggles (and his $3 mil salary) are what ultimately cost him his job.

I understand the Jets have invited much of this criticism from the outside world, what with the whole butt-fumbling and Tebow fiasco(s) last year. However, I do feel like a little perspective is needed over the Rex era in general. A 14-18 overall record over these last two seasons hardly constitutes as a "train wreck" squad. Particularly when 4 of those losses last seasons really could've been wins had just one-thing gone right for this team. Injuries happen.. it's football, I understand that. But if you're going to say that much of the 11 wins from the 2010 season were of good fortune (not saying you, but he knows who he is) you should be able to look at last season objectively and say the Jets really fell on some bad luck. Okay.. maybe we still don't make the playoffs, that's fair, I can agree with that. But you wouldn't have to win 9 or 10 games for this regime to be looked at differently. If the Jets ended 2012 with an 8-8 record, instead of 6-10, I don't think there would be any witch hunt to fire a coach going into his 5th year having never had a losing record.

..again, I'm not trying to give any allowances to this organization, and how the front office has handled things as a whole. I just think there's a difference between; World Beaters -&- Train Wreck.

its still not sucess joe. sucessful teams win 10 - 12 games a season every season like the team from ne that play in ur division. they dont just have 2 goodyears. even if u include 09 and 10 rexs record is 34 and 30. thats really nothing to go raving about

its still not sucess joe. sucessful teams win 10 - 12 games a season every season like the team from ne that play in ur division. they dont just have 2 goodyears. even if u include 09 and 10 rexs record is 34 and 30. thats really nothing to go raving about

that's very rare, for a team to win 10-12 games every year. Extremely rare. Plus he's entering his 5th year, his body of work as a head coach isn't all that long. By your measure, New England is the only successful NFL team, because they're the only one that's won double digits every year since 2003.

I include playoff games in Rex's win/loss record. Why not, they're more important than regular season. That puts him at 38-32

also you come across as a buffoon. Please proofread your posts. You'll see what I mean.

that's very rare, for a team to win 10-12 games every year. Extremely rare. Plus he's entering his 5th year, his body of work as a head coach isn't all that long. By your measure, New England is the only successful NFL team, because they're the only one that's won double digits every year since 2003.

I include playoff games in Rex's win/loss record. Why not, they're more important than regular season. That puts him at 38-32

also you come across as a buffoon. Please proofread your posts. You'll see what I mean.

Rex's past successes were more handed to him than anything else.  He was handed a 9-7 team -- pretty rare for a new coach to inherit a team with that kind of record -- with a great offensive line to protect a young QB that wasn't asked to do too much and a good defense.  His bravado was something a force multiplier for a talented squad.  However, the act goes stale very quickly when things go badly.  

The only thing that might save the Jets this year is Morningweig.  You know their defense is going to be solid, since it was last year.  And they could have been a playoff bubble team had they not had perhaps the worst offensive coordinator in recent memory.  If the Jets can have even an average offense this year (they have nowhere to go but up) they might surprise people.   

Rex's past successes were more handed to him than anything else.  He was handed a 9-7 team -- pretty rare for a new coach to inherit a team with that kind of record -- with a great offensive line to protect a young QB that wasn't asked to do too much and a good defense.  His bravado was something a force multiplier for a talented squad.  However, the act goes stale very quickly when things go badly.  

The only thing that might save the Jets this year is Morningweig.  You know their defense is going to be solid, since it was last year.  And they could have been a playoff bubble team had they not had perhaps the worst offensive coordinator in recent memory.  If the Jets can have even an average offense this year (they have nowhere to go but up) they might surprise people.   

I'll dispute you on the good defense. He inherited the 18th ranked NFL defense in 2008 and had them #1 in 2009. The team wasn't bereft of defensive talent overall (though they still haven't found a consistent pass rusher) but they had a poor defensive scheme and no defensive identity.

but the team he inherited wasn't a bad one, that is true. Still Mangini couldn't get them over the hump and into the playoffs in 08, Rex did. Even though the regular season records were identical

Edited by '7'

I'll dispute you on the good defense. He inherited the 18th ranked NFL defense in 2008 and had them #1 in 2009. The team wasn't bereft of defensive talent overall (though they still haven't found a consistent pass rusher) but they had a poor defensive scheme and no defensive identity.

Defense ranking, unless something really sticks out, doesn't mean all that much to me, especially on a year-to-year basis.  The sample sizes are so incredibly small, and the schedules are so vastly different from year-to-year, that defense is really something you have to use your eyes more than anything. 

In any event, I don't think anyone disputes that, whatever he is, Rex is a good defensive coordinator.  So I wasn't trying to say that in his first two years, Rex sat in his office all day coming up with sound bites for the next press conference.  And the results in the first two years were good enough that reasonable minds can differ whether he should not have been fired at the end of last year.  But looking at the whole picture, Rex isn't really all that impressive as a head coach. 

Hang on now sweetheart.. I concede the Division to NE every single year. But how exactly are we interpreting "success" here?? Winning the AFC East hasn't exactly been the toughest thing to do over the last two seasons. If we're interpreting success by what happens in January & February, the mighty Pats have 3 playoff wins over their last 8 postseason games. I'd wager even Tom & Bill would tell you they're not too thrilled with that statistic. If we're weighing success by Championships, are we still milking their last Superbowl 10 years ago? Oh oh wait.. maybe it's regular season wins you're talking about!! (because that's certainly how success is measured :rolleyes:) New England definitly has the market cornered in that area. The thing about that is, it's not as difficult to find ways to play beat-em-up against CFL teams.

Since 2011, the Patriots have won a total of 25 regular season games. Of the 25 wins.. 3 were against teams with a winning record!

Defense ranking, unless something really sticks out, doesn't mean all that much to me, especially on a year-to-year basis.

But looking at the whole picture, Rex isn't really all that impressive as a head coach. 

When the year-to-year basis are rankings of: 1st, 7th, 3rd, 5th.. any given year, it carries a greater meaning as a whole. I know the Jets will finish with a Top 10 defense this year 100%. In a era of football where defense is secondary to offense, that says alot.

..and I along with 7 also group playoff wins within a HC's tenure aswell. Having said that, I don't think there's anything below average about a coach who's won nearly 40 games in a 4 year span.

People are just grasping for straws now with the Jets. If Rex Ryan drops his notes you'll have fish fans (and mantaray) cackling like Homer Simpson from that college episode.  

It's really remarkable how the level of Jets criticism has picked up on this thread over the past two weeks from non-Jet fans. Hope they get it all out now while they can.. because if this team surprises people like I expect them to, I will be fvcking relentless on this thread!

Edited by Beezer34

Having said that, I don't think there's anything below average about a coach who's won nearly 40 games in a 4 year span.

So was Wade Phillips a good coach in Dallas?  He won 60 percent of his games in a four year span. 

Or was Dave Wannstedt a good coach for the Dolphins from 2000 to 2004 when he had a 42-31 record and his QB was Jay Fiedler?

If the Jets were consistently winning 9 or 10 games a year that would be one thing.  However, there's been a pretty quick and steady decline in the last two seasons. 

That's enough of a track record to get a coach one more chance to show what he can do going into his fifth year.  If he ends up getting fired, it would have meant three straight years missing the playoffs.  If you throw in his two championship game appearances, that's more or less the same career arc as Ken Whisenhunt who won't be remembered as anything special.