2013 Jets Thread

NJDevs4978

There is a reason we passed on Rex and hired John Harbaugh 54-26 in the same span as Rex, plus playoffs every year, three AFC Championship games and, oh yeah A championship. Harbaugh does have to talk about winning, he just wins.

well good for the Ravens, and Harbaugh certainly inherited more talent and dealt with less adversity than Ryan...but I have nothing against him.

But this is a Jets thread, nobody gives a sh!t about the Ravens. Sure is easy to jump on a winners bandwagon isn't it Manta.

MM running the west-coast for the Jets looks stunning! I know these games are meaningless but to have the 4th ranked best offense throughout these last 4 games fills me with hope.

The script where this Jets team implodes.. goes 3-13.. and Rex\Sanchez are shown the door, has already been played out by everyone and their Mother(s). But the fairy tale ending where the Rich Cimini's eat crow.. now THAT will be the bigger story.

But this is a Jets thread, nobody gives a sh!t about the Ravens. Sure is easy to jump on a winners bandwagon isn't it Manta.

..don't feed the trolls bro, they can't argue with themselves if you don't respond. I state my opinion no more than twice, and if it continues past that, the last word means little to me. I'd rather NOT have the parting shot vs. play tit-for-tat. (and you'll find ignoring them angers them more anyway :thumbsup:)

You can say that for teams that have an offense predicated entirely on the quarterback. (NYG, NE, Den, etc) But teams who's OC's builds their offense by utilizing the surrounding cast? Their offense looks more of the same come September.

The Jets have a system QB.. they've always have for the past five years. Throughout these four games last year, the Jets ranked 32nd in preseason and 30th in the regular season. The year before they ranked 30th in preseason, and 25th in the regular season. Even Rex's first season here in 2009.. 19th ranked in preseason.. 20th ranked in the regular season. These players you're seeing for the Jets like; Cumberland, Powell, Bell, Spadola, they will be big contributors for this team, and to a large degree, their production throughout these games has come early against teams defense playing many of their starters. 

I'm not saying the Jets will finish with a Top 5 offense this year.. all I said was it's refreshing seeing MM do his thing. The ball is moving down the field.. receivers are getting open.. and TD's are being scored with extremely vanilla plays being called.

You can say that for teams that have an offense predicated entirely on the quarterback. (NYG, NE, Den, etc) But teams who's OC's builds their offense by utilizing the surrounding cast? Their offense looks more of the same come September.

The Jets have a system QB.. they've always have for the past five years. Throughout these four games last year, the Jets ranked 32nd in preseason and 30th in the regular season. The year before they ranked 30th in preseason, and 25th in the regular season. Even Rex's first season here in 2009.. 19th ranked in preseason.. 20th ranked in the regular season. These players you're seeing for the Jets like; Cumberland, Powell, Bell, Spadola, they will be big contributors for this team, and to a large degree, their production throughout these games has come early against teams defense playing many of their starters. 

I'm not saying the Jets will finish with a Top 5 offense this year.. all I said was it's refreshing seeing MM do his thing. The ball is moving down the field.. receivers are getting open.. and TD's are being scored with extremely vanilla plays being called.

I have to say, I don't think I've ever met a Jets fan that was this optimistic.

I have to say, I don't think I've ever met a Jets fan that was this delusional.

Fixed that for ya. And before Beez and 7 throw their customary shots at the Dolphins, I'll stomp that sh!t out right now by saying I have no good Godly idea how bad or good the Fins will be, and nothing would shock me either way. But make no mistake- the Jets are an awful offensive football team and there's no way around that. Edited by MadDog2020

hes always been like that. ppl r sick of it

Because misery loves company. Maybe if my team produced only two winning seasons since 2004 I'd feel a little differently.. but I've seen this administration play 6 playoff games since 2010.. and I'm hopeful that they can pull a rabbit out of a hat again.

..and if people want to roll their eyes on my positive point of view as a fan, or my optimistic take regarding the Jets on a Jets thread.. there's really a simple way to resolve that... FVCK OFF THE THREAD.

• Like 1

Last season the wretched offensive play carried over from the pre season into the regular season. You're right you can definitely see how MM is miles ahead of Sparano. The schemes they run, the WR routes where he creates mismatches to get guys wide open. It's really like a jump from 1st grade math to calculus. 

It's not going to be a starpower offense. Clearly this is not Manning to Harrison, Brady to Moss. But it will be a balanced offense with everybody contributing a little bit.Nobody phenomenally great, but nobody piss poor bad either. Interchangeable parts...balance. Should be fun to watch

Loved what I saw out of Khalil Bell last night. The guy runs with power and anger. Defenses are going to hate tackling him.

And yes, Jets post 1996 history shows that their down periods usually don't last more than a year or so. They've never gone more than 2 years in a row without making the playoffs. I'm optimistic as well

The AFC is also looking very weak this year

Edited by '7'

And yes, Jets post 1996 history shows that their down periods usually don't last more than a year or so. They've never gone more than 2 years in a row without making the playoffs. I'm optimistic as well

The AFC is also looking very weak this year

The bottom drops out for every team eventually. 

If the Jets are going to make the playoffs, they'll have to be better than the Dolphins.  You can go either way on that. 

The bottom drops out for every team eventually. 

If the Jets are going to make the playoffs, they'll have to be better than the Dolphins.  You can go either way on that. 

I think Idzik has rehabilitated the roster enough to where we can expect to be competitive again in 2014. I don't think the Jets are in for a 2-14 type of putrid year. 6-10 is possible...so is 8-8

You're right I can't get a read on the Dolphins at all. I wouldn't trust their running game and not having any sort of safety blanket tight end hurts. But Wallace-Hartline-Gibson is going to be pretty tough to defend.

The AFC is going to be very bad this year. We're in for an 8-8 wild card type season. It's going to be weird since in recent memory we've had AFC teams that have gone 16-0, teams that could've been 16-0 (09 Colts) 14-2, 13-3 juggernaut teams. Not gonna happen this year

The Bengals in the Super Bowl wouldn't shock me

Edited by '7'

I think Idzik has rehabilitated the roster enough to where we can expect to be competitive again in 2014. I don't think the Jets are in for a 2-14 type of putrid year. 6-10 is possible...so is 8-8

You're right I can't get a read on the Dolphins at all. I wouldn't trust their running game and not having any sort of safety blanket tight end hurts. But Wallace-Hartline-Gibson is going to be pretty tough to defend.

The AFC is going to be very bad this year. We're in for an 8-8 wild card type season. It's going to be weird since in recent memory we've had AFC teams that have gone 16-0, teams that could've been 16-0 (09 Colts) 14-2, 13-3 juggernaut teams. Not gonna happen this year

I'll somehow get you to buy into a 9-7 Division Winning year if it kills me! :whistling:

I'll somehow get you to buy into a 9-7 Division Winning year if it kills me! :whistling:

Not totally against it. We'd need some tiebreakers to go our way much like 2002. But it's happened before.

Edited by '7'

Not totally against it. We'd need some tiebreakers to go our way much like 2002. But it's happened before.

• Week 1;  vs. Tampa – WIN
  • Week 2;  @ Patriots – LOSS
  • Week 3;  vs. Buffalo – WIN
  • Week 4;  @ Titans – WIN
  • Week 5;  @ Atlanta – LOSS
  • Week 6;  @ Steelers – LOSS
  • Week 7;  vs. Patriots – WIN
  • Week 8;  @ Bengals – LOSS
  • Week 10;  vs. Saints – LOSS
  • Week 11;  @ Buffalo – WIN
  • Week 12;  @ Ravens – LOSS
  • Week 13;  vs. Fish – WIN
  • Week 14;  vs. Raiders – WIN
  • Week 15;  @ Panthers – WIN
  • Week 16;  vs. Browns – WIN
  • Week 17;  @ Miami - LOSS

• Week 1;  vs. Tampa – WIN
  • Week 2;  @ Patriots – LOSS
  • Week 3;  vs. Buffalo – WIN
  • Week 4;  @ Titans – WIN
  • Week 5;  @ Atlanta – LOSS
  • Week 6;  @ Steelers – LOSS
  • Week 7;  vs. Patriots – WIN
  • Week 8;  @ Bengals – LOSS
  • Week 10;  vs. Saints – LOSS
  • Week 11;  @ Buffalo – WIN
  • Week 12;  @ Ravens – LOSS
  • Week 13;  vs. Fish – WIN
  • Week 14;  vs. Raiders – WIN
  • Week 15;  @ Panthers – WIN
  • Week 16;  vs. Browns – WIN
  • Week 17;  @ Miami - LOSS

Browns are a tough one. They're going to be improved this year, and they always give us hell regardless (we've played some insane games against them in our history)

I'm 50/50 on Tampa to start the season. If you want to call that a win, I have no qualms with you.

I don't think the Colts are going to regress, so they should be a playoff team at at least 9-7. 

The Bengals, based on what I saw of them last year, seem like a paper tiger to me.  While the game was close on the score board, the Phins controlled the game from start to finish.   Dalton is pretty hit or miss, and overall, isn't anything that special. 

For the Phins, it all really comes down to Tannehill.  The Dustin Keller loss hurts, but the loss of a pretty good tight end should not be a big deal if you have a good QB and a competent replacement, which you can always find.  I'll note that the Phins D is also underrated, and will surprise a lot of people.  The pass rush should improve, and it looks like we hit a homerun with Grimes. 

I don't think the Colts are going to regress, so they should be a playoff team at at least 9-7. 

The Bengals, based on what I saw of them last year, seem like a paper tiger to me.  While the game was close on the score board, the Phins controlled the game from start to finish.   Dalton is pretty hit or miss, and overall, isn't anything that special. 

For the Phins, it all really comes down to Tannehill.  The Dustin Keller loss hurts, but the loss of a pretty good tight end should not be a big deal if you have a good QB and a competent replacement, which you can always find.  I'll note that the Phins D is also underrated, and will surprise a lot of people.  The pass rush should improve, and it looks like we hit a homerun with Grimes. 

It's pretty simple- if Tannehill's good, the Fins will be good. If Tannehill's bad, the Fins will be bad. It pretty much rides on the QB. Buffalo with Manuel could surprise as well, but I don't know how long he's gonna be out for (Jeff Tuel vs NE in the opener is gonna be uuuuuugggllllly). It's NE's division until further notice, but I hope for once we actually serve notice with expectations raised- nothing will surprise me with the Fins this year. Anything's possible, but I just can't see the Jets winning more than 7 with the current QB situation (although they still have a pretty good defense).

Beez made a mistake on the schedule (Jets' game against Pitt is at home, not on the road)...he's got them going 6-2 at home, 3-5 on the road.  9-7 seems generous...somewhere between 5-11 and 7-9 seems more realistic.  If the Jets go .500 this season, and split with the Patriots, I'll think they did a hell of a job. 

Beez made a mistake on the schedule (Jets' game against Pitt is at home, not on the road)...he's got them going 6-2 at home, 3-5 on the road.  9-7 seems generous...somewhere between 5-11 and 7-9 seems more realistic.  If the Jets go .500 this season, and split with the Patriots, I'll think they did a hell of a job. 

Yep, agreed with this, 5 to 7 win season is my expectation. Sanchez stinks, Geno hasn't looked ready, and the offensive talent around them leaves a lot to be desired. Two of the better skillplayers are either hurt (Holmes) or prone to getting hurt (Ivory). The defense should keep them in games but it's tough to imagine even a .500 team. That's probably the ceiling here if things go right (eg: Holmes comes back with no issues, Ivory stays relatively healthy, one of Sanchez/Geno give them below average-but-not-Matt Cassel/Brady Quinn-bad QB play, etc.).

Edited by nmigliore

Agree nmig, I think they'll be more competitive within games than people think...they'll hang around in some third quarters against superior teams and have those teams' fans muttering to themselves...I think they'll make one of their two games against the Pats interesting (like last season).  But yeah, can't see them winning less than 5 (I don't think this season is going to be nearly as bad for the Jets as the 3 and 4 win crowd seems to think), and winning more than 7.     

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976