2013 Jets Thread

NJDevs4978

Kind of hilarious the Bills were playing SNA (the Devils' current goal song) shortly after their TD...but not as much so watching the same old Jets strike again.  Down 10-0 against a bad team - now about to go to 17-0 after Geno's turnover touch strikes again.  You could smell this one coming a mile away :rolleyes:

Sigh...Geno really is no better than Mark Sanchez at this point.  Looks like we'll need to draft yet another QB next year.

And so much for Rex boasting that nobody was going to throw it deep on us now that Ed Reed was here, Buffalo with a rookie QB and backup receivers has been throwing it behind us all day :argh:

This is the 3rd straight bad game for Geno. Two weeks ago vs N.O. he basically just committed no turnovers but did not play well

I'm really losing faith in him. Granted they didn't do a great job of protecting Geno...but he also doesn't feel pressure well and gets baited into the same mistakes as Sanchez

I'd be willing to give Simms a chance next week

Sigh...Geno really is no better than Mark Sanchez at this point.  Looks like we'll need to draft yet another QB next year.

And so much for Rex boasting that nobody was going to throw it deep on us now that Ed Reed was here, Buffalo with a rookie QB and backup receivers has been throwing it behind us all day :argh:

Well we know milliner stinks...and either Cromartie forgot how to play football in the offseason or he's playing hurt

The big joke is the Jets are STILL tied for the last playoff spot with the Fish because all the other 4-5's lost.

The Jets have the 6th seed to themselves. They have 2 division wins and Miami 0. That's the first tiebreaker. They Jets are in if playoffs started today

The Jets have the 6th seed to themselves. They have 2 division wins and Miami 0. That's the first tiebreaker. They Jets are in if playoffs started today.

Heading in Week 12, I still can't get a fvcking read on this team. It is remarkable how they just can't make things easy on themselves. Instead of having a week were they could've been 2 games ahead on everyone for the wildcard, they shoot themselves in the foot and make life harder than what it needs to be. Just can't understand it.

The miraculous truth in the whole matter is, as Has pointed out, literally EVERYONE in the AFC lost today. It is absolutely unreal. Does anyone in this Conference want to make the playoffs?? Despite the embarrassing outing today, the Jets are somehow still in the drivers seat @ 5-5.. with: Oakland, Buffalo, Cleveland, Pittsburgh, San Diego, Baltimore & Tennessee all sitting @ 4-6. All things considered, I'm actually very surprised the Bills only have 4 wins, because they're a good team that plays their opponent tough. That front seven should give Miami fits the two games they play eachother.. and besides that, the fish still have to play us twice, Carolina, New England & Pittsburgh.. so I'm really not that concerned when it comes to the Dolphins. Going into today's game, Miami lost 5 of their last 6. They were due. If they can continue to win, then good for them.. they'd deserve it. I just don't see it. I'm also not buying the fact that Geno's tanking. Smith was dreadful today, no question about it. But it's tough for a QB to build fluidity when he's down by 20+ points. He got hit hard, and never recovered from it mental or physically. It happens. He's due for a big game.

..here's hoping the Jekyll\Hyde Jets take their frustrations out next week on a Baltimore team that's really struggling to score points.

On the surface, the Jets are a 5-5 team that has some ugly numbers, especially at the QB position, in point differential (-85) and conference record (2-5).

But they're also a team that can lose to or beat just about anyone...which it makes it damned near impossible to predict what the hell they're going to do next.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Heading in Week 12, I still can't get a fvcking read on this team. It is remarkable how they just can't make things easy on themselves. Instead of having a week were they could've been 2 games ahead on everyone for the wildcard, they shoot themselves in the foot and make life harder than what it needs to be. Just can't understand it.

The miraculous truth in the whole matter is, as Has pointed out, literally EVERYONE in the AFC lost today. It is absolutely unreal. Does anyone in this Conference want to make the playoffs?? Despite the embarrassing outing today, the Jets are somehow still in the drivers seat @ 5-5.. with: Oakland, Buffalo, Cleveland, Pittsburgh, San Diego, Baltimore & Tennessee all sitting @ 4-6. All things considered, I'm actually very surprised the Bills only have 4 wins, because they're a good team that plays their opponent tough. That front seven should give Miami fits the two games they play eachother.. and besides that, the fish still have to play us twice, Carolina, New England & Pittsburgh.. so I'm really not that concerned when it comes to the Dolphins. Going into today's game, Miami lost 5 of their last 6. They were due. If they can continue to win, then good for them.. they'd deserve it. I just don't see it. I'm also not buying the fact that Geno's tanking. Smith was dreadful today, no question about it. But it's tough for a QB to build fluidity when he's down by 20+ points. He got hit hard, and never recovered from it mental or physically. It happens. He's due for a big game.

..here's hoping the Jekyll\Hyde Jets take their frustrations out next week on a Baltimore team that's really struggling to score points.

Yea. Also Kerley coming back would help. Not sure his status

It's really starting to get troubling now with Geno. He's regressing, he's not taking care of the football. The Jets have below average QB play once again. Baltimore is a hornets nest for young QB's. And I'm really losing faith in our corners. Is Cro hurt? Does he just stink? Does Milliner even belong on the field?

Didn't notice much of Ed Reed today. I don't think he was used much (and not at all when the game got out of hand) I think the more time he spends with the team and practices the better. We can gradually expand his role as he gets acclimated.

You mentioned Geno getting knocked around...this is true. The O-Line was abused by the Bills and Geno had very little time. Some days they do a good job protecting him...others it's just free runs. We are horrible at picking up blitzes. That part of it is not Geno's fault.

Stephen Hill....where are you? It's really milk carton status with him.

Didn't notice much of Ed Reed today. I think the more time he spends with the team and practices the better. We can gradually expand his role as he gets acclimated.

As good as ER is, you had to expect a debut like yesterday's. Despite the fact that he may've know Rex's system 6 years ago, it was still his very first game back on 2 days of practice. He'll bust out sooner than expected, and with Baltimore the next game, he may have a game changing moment this Sunday.

..some other observations 24 hours after the fact..

•We need a down the field threat. With Hill struggling, we have no deep game, which is why safeties are moving up against us and cutting off slant routes. I would scan the waiver wire for a speedster if I'm Idzik, if for no other reason to have teams respect the deep throw a little bit more.

•For all the BS that comes Holmes' way.. he's actually still a very good receiver. He still has speed, he never drops passes, and his route running is second to none. Perhaps it's due to practicing against Revis & Cromartie all those years, as well as guys like LaRon Landry, Yeremiah Bell, and now Ed Reed. Whatever the case may be, he needs to be written into the gameplan more, because he can still be a game-breaker when he wants to be.

•In the ever evolving process of weeding out the dead weight on Rex's coaching staff, make no mistake about it, Sanjay Lal will be the next causality come March. This guy has done absolutely nothing since his arrival, and the lack of growth in our receivers has been enough of a showcase in explaining to me why Oakland showed him the door. The promotion of DT to DC was one that has paid dividends, as was Marty & David Lee.. but Lal is now the weakest link, and he's on borrowed time.

I still feel good about the Jets chances, and truth-be-told, if they lose to the Ravens I'd STILL feel like we'd have an okay enough shot to get in. The Giants proved two times, it's not about how good you are, but how hot you can get at the right time. If the floodgates are to finally open with us ever winning 2 games in-a-row, it may not just be a 2 game winning streak we're looking at.

Edited by Beezer34

Just when you think the Jets are getting it together, the "same old Jets" refrain comes into play.

Why always Buffalo?

Not really fair...Jets have already wildly exceeded expectations this year...I can't call them the "same old Jets" when they're clearly overachieving.  Actually, if you look strictly at the overall QB play, the PF and PA totals, the Jets are actually performing about where people thought they would. 

What's truly amazing:

Point differential in wins:  +19

Point differential in losses:  -104 

It's hard to have a worse point differential than the Jets do, for a .500 team.  They've done a hell of a job squeezing 5 wins out of themselves, and even more baffling is that it's not like the 5 wins all came against garbage teams.       

It's really starting to get troubling now with Geno. He's regressing, he's not taking care of the football. The Jets have below average QB play once again.

That would be the one I would worry about if I was a Jet fan.  If the Jet fall apart a little and go, say, 2-4 over the next 6 games to finish 7-9, but Geno is playing well, I'd be able to take it. 

But his numbers over his last five games (after his first five games, which were very respectable for a rookie QB playing in his first NFL games without much around him) are flat-out putrid:

72-for-139 (51.8%), 811 yards, 1 TD, 8 INT 

This is not-ready-for-the-NFL-type numbers, but he's shown the ability to do some good things, so I think the Jets have to stick with him the rest of the season, unless he really falls apart (or unless anyone in the organization thinks Simms could do the job and is worth a look). 

Not really fair...Jets have already wildly exceeded expectations this year...I can't call them the "same old Jets" when they're clearly overachieving. Actually, if you look strictly at the overall QB play, the PF and PA totals, the Jets are actually performing about where people thought they would..

Completely fair. They always manage to play well when they aren't expected, and come tumbling down the next week against inferior competition. That is s Jet tradition.

Most people had the Jets slightly below .500. Not sure how they have "wildly" exceeded them at 5-5.

Edited by MantaRay

Completely fair. They always manage to play well when they aren't expected, and come tumbling down the next week against inferior competition. That is s Jet tradition. Most people had the Jets slightly below .500. Not sure how they have "wildly" exceeded them at 5-5.

Actually, a lot of people were saying four or five wins for the SEASON.  They HAVE exceeded expectations.

What a fvcking blown opportunity by the Jets. Could've been 1 game back for the Division. Ugh!

Yea. Carolina faced some stiff competition today and it didn't seem to phase them one bit. I'm absolutely mortified of playing them later in the season. Barring some sort of bizarre letdown, I think Miami is going to get absolutely hammered and will be 5-6 heading into Metlife.

NE/Den is an absolute tossup. If Welker plays I'd give a slight advantage to Denver. However after Denver NE is looking at Houston/Cleveland/Miami/Baltimore/Buffalo...so if they lose to the Broncos 7-4 can turn into 12-4 very quickly. Though I think 11-5 is more likely, Baltimore can certainly pick them off.

NE/Den is an absolute tossup. If Welker plays I'd give a slight advantage to Denver. However after Denver NE is looking at Houston/Cleveland/Miami/Baltimore/Buffalo...so if they lose to the Broncos 7-4 can turn into 12-4 very quickly. Though I think 11-5 is more likely, Baltimore can certainly pick them off.

I agree that both Denver & Baltimore may beat the Pats (and as bad as Miami looks, you never know with a divisional game either) but I'm telling you, I would not sleep on the Bills if I were BB. They are a good team. I'm actually stunned that they're not better than their record. Their defense has the most sacks AND interceptions in the league! Even when you look at the games they've lost, they were close enough to be wins, if they didn't have a rookie QB. A 23-21 loss to the Pats. 27-20 to the Jets on the road. 27-24 to the Bengals. This team could easily have 6 wins.. and they absolutely should have at least 5. The fact that they're in a playoff hunt in November playing quarterbacks like; EJ Manuel, Thad Lewis & Jeff Tuel, is nothing short of astonishing. I'm not suggesting New England will finish 9-7.. but I don't think they'll be resting players for games down the stretch either.

Now.. having said all that about Buffalo.. I still think the Jets should've beaten the Bills. #1) Rex knows Pettine inside and out. #2) We had two weeks to prepare for Buffalo. #3) They were without Woods & Johnson. #4) The Jets were the healthiest they've been all year. How the hell do you win 5\9 games the first half of the season without: Cumberland, Holmes, Winslow, Reed, etc.. and then lose the first game where they all come back?!?

If I'm Rex, I try the best I can to isolate this game to my team. The score may look horrible, but this game was closer than it felt. Geno gave them 14 points like it was candy. The Jets held the Bills to roughly 300 yrds, and in this day and age, that's doing your job. --especially considering that literally 90 yards came off of 2 plays that could've went either way. A 43 yrd strike to TJ Graham, that came a centimeter from his foot being out of bounds.. and a 45 yrd TD bomb to Goodwin that got helped by the wind. The pass was 15 yards behind, which enabled Goodwin to make the catch. Then of course the wind that forced Folk to miss the FG. There were plays that the Jets left on the field, and that's what Rex needs to tell his team.

If the Jets internalize this loss, they will doubt themselves and continue to struggle down the stretch. If they simply say; okay, we lost.. let's leave it behind us, and truck ahead.. then they'll maintain their confidence.

This week is a great opportunity to trash talk. I am available. Go Ravens!

Good luck. Hopefully our front seven will wake up for this one, a little more than they were last week. The Bye must've really effected them, because they looked asleep. I could be wrong, but I actually think the Jets secondary is going to have a big game. The fact is, even at age 35, Ed Reed can diagnose an opposing teams offense better than any safety in the league.. and that's the guy you want out there barking out instructions to the younger players like Bush & Allen. There are different nuances a quarterback does while going through his progressions to try and move the safety. After 5 years of playing\practicing with Flacco, that really shouldn't happen here, and Reed should spill his guts to Cromartie & Landry likewise. Plus Flacco struggles with the deep throw.

I'd be stunned if our secondary has another poor week.