2013 Jets Thread

NJDevs4978

I think you may be a little too rough on Belichicks D. Belichick didn't forget how to coach D overnight, Polians whining caused a change within the league that really limited the physicality of defensive backs which is Belichicks specialty...plus Belichick has Brady, so he loads the team up on O and tries to just get by on D by playing bend not break football. I think he recognizes the direction of the NFL and tries to adjust his team accordingly. He didn't forget how to coach D...he just coaches to the strength of the team.

My compliment on Rex wasn't a backhanded swipe at BB.  It was strictly to give Rex a lot of credit.  Most people were thinking 4-5 wins for the Jets. 

EDIT:  Good for Rex, the guy absolutely deserves to stay.  Season #6 about to commence for him...remaining HC of an NFL team for that long is no small feat.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

I wish I had a team whose coach could get anything out of his players, much less every ounce of effort like Rex does.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I kind of saw what you mean about Tannehill today. Lots of misses and overthrows that should've been easy 1st downs or TD's. At 7-0 he missed Wallace for an easy TD over Milliner who was 3 steps behind. To Milliners credit he regrouped and played well afterwards, including breaking up a TD in the endzone

I still think you need to give him next year though...if it doesn't work out then go get another QB. Be fair, Hartline was out....but he O-Line gave him the time against a tough Jets D-Line and he didn't make much of it

Edited by '7'

Miami was 8-7 going into the game and lost Hartline. They're not a juggernaut.

..yeah. Not for nothing, but has anything really jumped out at you with Joe Philbin? The guys heading into his 3rd season with a record below .500 --and he has WAY more talent to work with than either the Jets or Buffalo.

They caught a major break on the overthrow when Wallace had 2 steps on Milliner.

..to be fair, Dee has looked like a different player over the last 4 games.. and as a result, the Jets secondary improved, and they found a way to win 3 out of the final 4 games. Milliner registered 3 picks over the last 3 weeks, but what jumps out most is his deflected passes. I almost wonder if he was playing with some sort of injury that went undisclosed throughout the season.

Good for Rex, the guy absolutely deserves to stay. Season #6 about to commence for him...remaining HC of an NFL team for that long is no small feat.

..and only 1 losing season at that! --with probably the worst QB play in the league since 2009.

Hell of a job by Rex this season. Exceeded EVERYONE'S expectations (except maybe Beez’s)

I predicted 9-7 and a playoff birth, and they finished 8-8 and missed out by a tiebreaker. I was close, but I was still wrong.

But you are always very optimistic though Beez.  Their chances of going 9-7 and making the playoffs were minimal (at least they seemed so going in).  That was a lofty expectation.  I still think falling just one game short of that was an amazing feat. 

..yeah. Not for nothing, but has anything really jumped out at you with Joe Philbin? The guys heading into his 3rd season with a record below .500 --and he has WAY more talent to work with than either the Jets or Buffalo.

Nothing. We're already getting some black Friday whispers (Chudzinski out in Cleveland, Shanahan out in Washington) but strangely I don't here anything about this guy. He is thoroughly uninspiring as head coach. Imho Miami needs to be out there banging on Cowhers door.

Nothing. We're already getting some black Friday whispers (Chudzinski out in Cleveland, Shanahan out in Washington) but strangely I don't here anything about this guy. He is thoroughly uninspiring as head coach. Imho Miami needs to be out there banging on Cowhers door.

The most satisfying thing is that everything Miami needed to have happen.. happened! --and they still flat out failed, in front of their fans. At 8-6 with two games left to play, how you fail to that level?

This is a season that will be considered a lost opportunity for the fish, because the Jets & Bills could've been 4 wins for them.. 3 at the very least. The Jets aren't going to be a .500 team next season, they're going to improve. I have a funny feeling Idzik is going to have a $pending $pree $pring this offseason, the likes of Miami this past year.

The schedule for 2014..

-Home: Patriots, Buffalo, Miami, Oakland, Chicago, Detroit, Pittsburgh & Denver.

-Away: Buffalo, Patriots, Miami, KC, San Diego, Green Bay & Tennessee

..if the Jets went 3-3 in the division this year, I think it's fair to say they could go 4-2 next season. And with winnable games outside the AFC East like Oakland, Chicago, Detroit, Tennessee, SD, etc. I think a 10-6 record is doable, depending on the talent Woody brings in.

Bottomline.. if Miami is to blow-it-up, this is the offseason to do it.. because the level of parody in the AFC is only going to increase next season.

A really great moment, but it doesn't mean much if you aren't a good coach. Luckily Rex is one. Having the love and respect of your players is not a good enough reason to bring a coach back. 

There will be coaches who get fired who the players loved and some that the players hated. There are great teams with coaches that players love and some players can't stand. But you need to be able to coach. Rex can certainly do that.

I just think in KC how much that defense loved Romeo. It helped him get the interim label removed and given the head coaching job in KC. He isn't a good head coach, and that's been proven.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/mehta-move-jets-two-year-rextension-article-1.1561090

We have a great rapport. Since the first day I met him, [Rex Ryan] so I think it was just a continuum. Throughout the offseason, we jelled, and during the regular season, nothing stopped. I always made the assumption that we were in this together from the beginning. I know there’s been outside speculation throughout the season otherwise, but we’ve always been together. Rex has been tremendous to work with. He’s a leader, he’s a motivator, a teacher. He’s a heck of a coach.”  --John Idzik

I know this could all just be lip-service.. but to go out of your way and even address the media speculation that he may not have been on board with bringing Rex back, and essentially squash it. It's almost as if Idzik is frustrated by the notion(s) that he wants to bring in his own coach. It's one thing to endorse a guy with a one or two line sentence. It's quite another to swoon to the degree of; tremendous, outstanding, motivator, teacher, leader, etc. This video really changed my point of view on the relationship between Idzik & Ryan.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/mehta-move-jets-two-year-rextension-article-1.1561090

We have a great rapport. Since the first day I met him, [Rex Ryan] so I think it was just a continuum. Throughout the offseason, we jelled, and during the regular season, nothing stopped. I always made the assumption that we were in this together from the beginning. I know there’s been outside speculation throughout the season otherwise, but we’ve always been together. Rex has been tremendous to work with. He’s a leader, he’s a motivator, a teacher. He’s a heck of a coach.”  --John Idzik

I know this could all just be lip-service.. but to go out of your way and even address the media speculation that he may not have been on board with bringing Rex back, and essentially squash it. It's almost as if Idzik is frustrated by the notion(s) that he wants to bring in his own coach. It's one thing to endorse a guy with a one or two line sentence. It's quite another to swoon to the degree of; tremendous, outstanding, motivator, teacher, leader, etc. This video really changed my point of view on the relationship between Idzik & Ryan.

Could also be that Rex has earned some power back, at Idzik's expense. 

Could also be that Rex has earned some power back, at Idzik's expense. 

..maybe. I guess you could make a case that this stance was Idzik's only recourse.

Either that, or there's some secret agreement that they had from the beginning, where Idzik would come in and have the GM title.. but no say in personnel decisions. If he's okay with being just a figure-head, then whatever.

Unless he's a great actor (judging by his quotes and reaction in the locker room clip posted) I think Rex actually did win Idzik over. I mean he's the frigging pied piper as it is with the team and Woody all squarely in Rex's camp, it's not inconceivable that Idzik is there too.

Now hopefully that doesn't mean we go back to Rex picking the players again the way he more or less did in the Tanny regime. So long as Rex lets Idzik do his job and Marty run the offense, he can just focus on his strengths which are defense and leadership.

image_zpsb15bad4d.jpg

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2013/12/ed_reed_to_get_an_mri_wants_to_play_for_jets_next_year_considering_retirement.html

"If the team will allow me, and everything goes according to plan.. then yeah. I would love to return to the Jets. It would make it a lot easier, because obviously I know the system. I just got to continue to heal. The longer I get away from the surgical date, the better. I think it was a pretty good year for me, what with having two hip surgeries and being able to play in this defense after being on another team. I feel I will be a lot stronger next season because I'll have a whole offseason to work out, and really balance my rehab out. My left side was actually tighter than my right because I was compensating more, as far as my workouts." --Ed Reed

Update (3:24 p.m.): a source told Metro New York the Jets are considering bringing Reed back; "If the price is right. Ed [Reed] has become invaluable in his mentoring of the young players like Dee Milliner."

..bottomline, the Jets will protect their investment on Milliner by bringing Reed back for 1 more year in a reduced role imo. Dee never looked better than he did the final 4 weeks of the year when Ed began to mentor him.. (the two combined for 6 interceptions for the month of December!) ..and at 36 years old, teams won't be offering Reed the type of money he may be looking for.

Edited by Beezer34

Signing Reed one more year would be a fantastic move by the Jets.   Ed Reed is going to make an excellent coach after retiring.

People talk about what he does in big games and how he impacts the oppositions play calling, but his biggest strength is film study.

He and Ray Lewis were the best students of the game in the modern era.

I like the idea of bringing Reed back for 1 more year. He didn't look so great the first few games here...but quickly picked things up and became the ball-hawk everybody pretty much knows and loves the past 3 weeks or so. After 2014 he can slide in to become our secondaries coach. This guy can be very valuable to the organization...we have to keep him around in some capacity. He has such great anticipation and is great at baiting QB's. Dan Dierdorf I generally can't stand but he's right. Seems like every tipped ball ends up in his hands...it's not a coincidence

I like the idea of bringing Reed back for 1 more year. He didn't look so great the first few games here...but quickly picked things up and became the ball-hawk everybody pretty much knows and loves the past 3 weeks or so. After 2014 he can slide in to become our secondaries coach. This guy can be very valuable to the organization...we have to keep him around in some capacity. He has such great anticipation and is great at baiting QB's. Dan Dierdorf I generally can't stand but he's right. Seems like every tipped ball ends up in his hands...it's not a coincidence

Well said.

right on.

BACK_zps7f4cce30.png

https://twitter.com/alexmarvez/status/419123886731440130

“Spoke to someone very close to @MiamiDolphins organization. They think Philbin AND Ireland both survive!”

..if this turns out to be true, then I’m floored! :yea: 

With a boat load of talent on both sides of the ball, and all the $pending they did, they still couldn’t manufacture a winning record. I have seen all I need to see from this administration, and they don’t scare me. The road to the Division title still goes through New England. Let’s use our 10 draft-picks, and 40 million dollars, and take the AFC East next season! :thumbsup: 

Posted Image

https://twitter.com/alexmarvez/status/419123886731440130

“Spoke to someone very close to @MiamiDolphins organization. They think Philbin AND Ireland both survive!”

..if this turns out to be true, then I’m floored! :yea:

With a boat load of talent on both sides of the ball, and all the $pending they did, they still couldn’t manufacture a winning record. I have seen all I need to see from this administration, and they don’t scare me. The road to the Division title still goes through New England. Let’s use our 10 draft-picks, and 40 million dollars, and take the AFC East next season! :thumbsup:

Even if the Fins brought in Gruden as head coach and Ozzie Newsome as GM, the division would still go through New England. But yeah, someone needs to pay for those last two games. I want a house-cleaning myself, but we all know that 'aint gonna happen. Ross is too much of a stooge when it comes to football to make smart decisions. More of the same next year probably. At least we may have a QB finally...

• 2 weeks later...

Would Westy return to coach the Jets Special Teams in 2014?

http://m.espn.go.com/general/blogs/blogpost?blogname=new-yorkjets&id=34604&city=newyork&src=desktop

I'd certainly listen to them. I'm no youngster, but I know I could return to coaching. I didn't like the way it ended. I'm very happy with what I'm doing, and my decision to retire. I'm not looking to get back into coaching, but I'll always look at everything. Never say never.” --Mike Westhoff

In a hearbeat I'd take him back. Not sure how that dolt Kotwica god hired but that's the Redskins for you. Westhoff did not have a great final year here, but that was likely due to bad personnel and not an erosion of his coaching abilities.