2013 Jets Thread

NJDevs4978

Sounds like they've been wining and dining Decker all day...just please get that done at least.  I doubt they'll spend up to the cap at any rate...at this point they might actually keep Sanchez around since they have cap space and there's limited options out there for backup QB anyway.

Decker would be solid. Seems like it's close to being done (can never take anything for granted as a Jets fan though) I think they will announce tomorrow

Revis clearly wasn't ever in their plans. They had their chance, they didn't even bother. Reports are saying the Jets didn't even respond when Revis agent reached out. They just let that ship sail for whatever reason

As for Sanchez. I dunno he had the injury to his throwing arm, and he didn't have a cannon to begin with (average arm I'd say) Not sure I'd want him back even as a backup. Plus with his cap hit, we can just unload him and sign a similar QB for less money. Like Weeden. Or they might revisit Vick. Jason Campbell out there as well. Shaun Hill.

Jones already signed with Baltimore

not Jacoby Jones. James Jones from Green Bay.

It's official. The Jets have signed Eric Decker

great move. Our receiving corps clearly needed upgrading and Decker does just that. He's a player who's good at a lot of things. Doesn't look like a burner but regularly gets open deep. Good hands. Precise route runner. Great underneath as well as outside. Good size (6'3)

Edited by '7'

It's interesting, and I guess how good it turns out will ultimately depend on how the offensive coordinator uses him. He was pretty good when he had Tebow and Orton throwing to him, but nothing that would knock your socks off. Whether it's Sanchez or Geno, it's AA ball compared to what he had with Manning as the QB.

As a Phins fan, I see an opponent that we face twice a year get a little better, but it doesn't frighten me all that much.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

great move. Our receiving corps clearly needed upgrading and Decker does just that. He's a player who's good at a lot of things. Doesn't look like a burner but regularly gets open deep. Good hands. Precise route runner. Great underneath as well as outside. Good size (6'3)

Agree, this is a GREAT move for the Jets...Decker could really become a terrific player for them. 

re:  Revis, if the Jets REALLY wanted him and REALLY thought he either help them by playing for them or not playing for NE, Idzik could've made it happen.  I'm not knocking Idzik for not bringing him back out of fear.  What we're soon going to find out is if Revis is still really Revis or a reasonable percentage of what he used to be.  It's clearly a test-drive contract for NE...I'm sure they think he can help, but I also think they feel there's a chance he could become their next Ochocinco...they only went one year on him for a reason. 

re:  Revis, if the Jets REALLY wanted him and REALLY thought he either help them by playing for them or not playing for NE, Idzik could've made it happen.  I'm not knocking Idzik for not bringing him back out of fear.  What we're soon going to find out is if Revis is still really Revis or a reasonable percentage of what he used to be.  It's clearly a test-drive contract for NE...I'm sure they think he can help, but I also think they feel there's a chance he could become their next Ochocinco...they only went one year on him for a reason. 

..at 29 years of age, Revis is still capable of being a dynamic player in the NFL. But I've maintained one thought process throughout this whole fiasco dating all the way back to 2010:  12-14 million dollars is too much money for one player. As good as Revis is, you can't dole out QB money on a Corner, with the level of impairment\injury\risk that goes along with the position.. and I commend Idzik for not having a twitchy trigger finger on this one, for the sake of "fear he'll go to New England" panic. Granted the Jets have alot of money to spend under the cap.. but I'd rather Idzik continue to make these low-key discerning signings like Giacomini, as opposed to Headline $ignings, off the simple creed of; "Well, we have the money.. so let's just spend it!" --We've tried that philosophy since 2008, and it hasn't exactly resulted in a dynasty. :giggle:

Revis needs to be very careful here. He'll be learning his 3rd playbook, from playing on his 3rd different team, over the past 3 years. Chemistry & consistency is paramount in the NFL. I think Revis wanted one last big payday, before he enters his 30's (when contracts this high will be harder to get) ..and if he performs well, there will no doubt be egg on the face of the Jets. But at the same time, if he suffers a torn ligament in Week 2.. how would this signing be remembered?

Anyone can get hurt at any time Beez...that's the nature of football.  We've seen it happen to players at every position and every salary level.  I can't kill the Pats for making the move if Revis gets hurt.

The bigger question is Revis actually still Revis?  If he plays 16 games at a meh level, then the move will be criticized. 

Revis wasn't the pre ACL Revis last year, it's probably unfair to expect him to be at this point as he's gotten older. He's still better than Talib but probably not as good as Patrick Peterson, Haden, or Sherman. That's still an excellent player

..at 29 years of age, Revis is still capable of being a dynamic player in the NFL. But I've maintained one thought process throughout this whole fiasco dating all the way back to 2010:  12-14 million dollars is too much money for one player. As good as Revis is, you can't dole out QB money on a Corner, with the level of impairment\injury\risk that goes along with the position.. and I commend Idzik for not having a twitchy trigger finger on this one, for the sake of "fear he'll go to New England" panic. Granted the Jets have alot of money to spend under the cap.. but I'd rather Idzik continue to make these low-key discerning signings like Giacomini, as opposed to Headline $ignings, off the simple creed of; "Well, we have the money.. so let's just spend it!" --We've tried that philosophy since 2008, and it hasn't exactly resulted in a dynasty. :giggle:

Revis needs to be very careful here. He'll be learning his 3rd playbook, from playing on his 3rd different team, over the past 3 years. Chemistry & consistency is paramount in the NFL. I think Revis wanted one last big payday, before he enters his 30's (when contracts this high will be harder to get) ..and if he performs well, there will no doubt be egg on the face of the Jets. But at the same time, if he suffers a torn ligament in Week 2.. how would this signing be remembered?

the 3 teams in 3 years is a fair point. players tend to struggle with that when looking back at other recent journeymen.

i think the pats did this for 3 reasons. #1 to stick it to the jets #2 to construct a team to beat peyton #3 talib

Giacomini is very under the radar. Guy was just a starter on a Super Bowl offensive line, and rated ahead of Howard. Solid move.

Revis wasn't the pre ACL Revis last year, it's probably unfair to expect him to be at this point as he's gotten older. He's still better than Talib but probably not as good as Patrick Peterson, Haden, or Sherman. That's still an excellent player

Exactly. This move isn't a stockpiling signing, like when the Jets signed Cromartie to play with Revis 5 years ago. This is a supplemental deal. They lost Talib.. and although Revis is an upgrade, I think factors like team chemistry, playbook consistency, etc.. go along way in determining how this signing will be viewed a year from now. I can see it working out really great for the Pats.. I really can. At the same time, I can also see Patriots-Nation feeling like they got duped, by an underperforming player.

the 3 teams in 3 years is a fair point. players tend to struggle with that when looking back at other recent journeymen.

i think the pats did this for 3 reasons. #1 to stick it to the jets #2 to construct a team to beat peyton

Reg: #1) Tim Tebow was supposed to stick it to the Jets too. B )

Reg: #2) It's going to take alot more than Revis for the Pats to dethrone Mannings Broncos. Good luck with that, with 12 million less to spend against the cap. :thumbsup:

i think the pats did this for 3 reasons. #1 to stick it to the jets #2 to construct a team to beat peyton #3 talib

Bill's not a dummy, all he'll ask Revis to do is lock down the #1 receiver like Rex did. The only playbook Revis had to 'learn' was the stupid cover two in Tampa. This isn't a QB needing to learn 500 plays.

Bill's not a dummy, all he'll ask Revis to do is lock down the #1 receiver like Rex did. The only playbook Revis had to 'learn' was the stupid cover two in Tampa. This isn't a QB needing to learn 500 plays.

Yeah, cornerback in general is not a position that you need a ton of brain power to perform at a high level.  You've had cornerbacks that scored below a 10 on the Wonderlic test, and still perform very well in the NFL.

So far as him being a "journeyman", let's remember first that it was the Bucs that cut him because his cap hit was too high, and not because of his level of play.  So ultimately, this is a great move for the Pats.  It's clear to me that Revis wants to be there, but at the same time, it's still a one year deal, which means it's virtually a risk free signing. 

I just really hope that Hickey made some attempt to sign him. 

EDIT:  I also noticed some Jets fans theorizing that Idzik had no interest in signing Revis.  Could be true, but impossible to tell.  Revis signed with the Pats a few hours after he was released, which tells me that's where he wanted to go from the very start.  So either way, it would probably have been a futile effort, and perhaps Idzik and everyone else realized that.

Edited by Daniel

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000333833/article/vince-wilfork-has-asked-patriots-for-his-release

"Patriots approached Wilfork about restructuring his contract, but the defensive tackle wasn't interested"

Vince Wilfork asking for his release less than 24 hours after the Revis signing? :whistling:

..from a franchise that routinely asks its star player(s) to take a home-team discount, team friendly contracts (Brady) then follow that up by throwing 12 million dollars at a mercenary like Revis? All a coincidence I guess.

Keep jettisoning the foundation BB. :thumbsup:

Edited by Beezer34

The Brady window is getting narrower by the day.  Getting Revis is the kind of move a team that sees the end of an era coming makes.  Whether or not it was a risk worth taking remains to be seen, but we won't start to know the answer until we're about halfway through next season.

As for Wilfork, he's 32 going on 33 and is coming off a pretty serious injury.  I'm not saying he wouldn't be a loss, but his cap hit was going to be $11.6 million.  Even though it wasn't always pretty and losing him clearly hurt, the Pats at least showed they could work around his absence.   

Does Idzik realize that free agency didn't end with the Decker signing

James Jones, Rodgers-Cromartie...off the board. So much acquirable talent slips through his fingers. The Jets apparently think there is some kind of reward carrying $30+ million of cap room into next year. Hole at CB not filled, could use another RB, could use a safety, could use another tackle. Complete and total inaction.

Idzik's getting a little too Sandy Alderson-ish for my liking.  I mean it IS early in FA but good grief, they can only fill so many holes through the draft and CB's getting thinner by the second.

We could afford everybody. Revis could've been had, Rodgers Cromartie, Vontae Davis. Could've had Pettigrew

It's like he's some sort of weird Sandy/Lou hybrid. Stubborn to a fault and asleep at the wheel. With none of the success (past success at least)

meanwhile the Mets continue to fiddle while Tejada has more errors than hits in spring training

I don't get what the sense of cutting Cromartie was in the first place if they didn't have a replacement lined up, that's why all the rumors had them getting Verner the minute Cro got cut.  Unless they just thought his hip is permanently damaged and he's not going to be the same anymore.  I mean two games is too soon to trust Dee Milliner as any kind of a #1 and Kyle Wilson should not be a #2.  It's not like we needed the cap space, we haven't even axed Sanchez yet (I'm starting to get a funny feeling we're gonna keep him around the more and more we save in FA).

This draft is supposedly deep at WR so I'm okay with just Decker in FA for now, if anything they should have been able to use the draft to address their offense almost exclusively but now they may need to address a couple of defensive holes too.

Edited by NJDevs4978

Well Sanchez bonus is due in a few days, so that should free up more cash at least.

It should, but he's had enough to sign a Revis or Rodgers Cromartie and a Receiver or safety with what he has now and still has done diddly. So now the money pile will grow bigger but we'll be left with table scraps. Plus we may not have a starting QB OR backup QB

When Idzik had little to work with last year, he put together a respectable team. We had some good under the radar signings. This year it seems he's gone too Lamoriello circa 1995-1999 in his dealings

Edited by '7'

If you drop Sanchez, I think Vick is a great tutor for Geno. If anyone has learned lessons it's Vick.

Vick should not be a tutor to anyone and it isn't because of his legal problems. In the end, he's been an overrated QB his entire career. A young QB that has a turnover problem, should not be trying to emulate an older QB with a turnover problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk