2013 Jets Thread

NJDevs4978

They're about to resign Colon.. they resigned Pace.. they upgraded Holmes with Decker.. and they also upgraded Howard with Giacomini. We're halfway through March, with 13 draft picks still in our pockets. I'm not going to press the panic button just yet, until I see the entire picture. Not gonna lie.. I would've loved DRC. But 8 million per-season puts him as the 6th highest paid CB in the league.. and if signing him meant spending more than that, then I'm glad the Jets didn't.

We're slowly learning as the offseason progresses how many key players played hurt last season, through significant injuries. (D'Brick, Geno, Cro, etc) Maybe finishing 8-8 really was an accomplishment.. especially if Geno really was that hurt last season. I can remember a stretch of 4 games where Geno looked invisible. (couple that with absolutely no WR help at all) Maybe Idzik & Rex feel that last years team doesn't need THAT much tinkering.

I don't get what the sense of cutting Cromartie was in the first place if they didn't have a replacement lined up.

..they cut Cro because he was due a 7 million dollar roster bonus, and (coming off the worst season of his career) they wanted him to go out and find his market value. I think the majority of the Jets "weak secondary" had more to do with Milliner being in over his head, as opposed to an injured Cromartie. It's no coincidence the moment they brought in Ed Reed to mentor Dee, he became a much better CB all around. (and that's why I think they bring back Reed this season) If Milliner has a better sophomore year, then the secondary improves without Idzik doing anything.

For the record, I still believe the Jets will bring back Cromartie.. just in a part-time role. At this point they could sign anyone left to equal his production from last season.. like a Champ Bailey for example. --and if the surrounding cast improves, it's really a win-win for the Jets. Cromartie can be a hybrid corner\safety like Ty Law was a few years back, playing limited plays.

Edited by Beezer34

Vick should not be a tutor to anyone and it isn't because of his legal problems. In the end, he's been an overrated QB his entire career. A young QB that has a turnover problem, should not be trying to emulate an older QB with a turnover problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No, but he can teach him through the mistakes he has made in trying to force something that isn't going to fit and in turn allowing Smith to have a longer healthier career.  Plus, he knows MM system

It should, but he's had enough to sign a Revis or Rodgers Cromartie and a Receiver or safety with what he has now and still has done diddly. So now the money pile will grow bigger but we'll be left with table scraps. Plus we may not have a starting QB OR backup QB

When Idzik had little to work with last year, he put together a respectable team. We had some good under the radar signings. This year it seems he's gone too Lamoriello circa 1995-1999 in his dealings

Maybe there is something to what you're saying.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/03/18/report-jets-privately-apologize-for-negotiating-tactics/

Multiple agents told Mehta the Jets engaged in “questionable practices” by leading them to believe the team’s interest was at a level that the eventual offers apparently didn’t match.

That specific accusation comes in an article that focuses primarily on the frustrations arising within the organization regarding the slow pace of G.M. John Idzik in free-agency negotiations.  An unnamed member of the organization said that Idzik “operates on his own time and schedule,” and that the situation is “unbelievable.”

Idzik can probably do much better things if he waits, because usually the price comes down tremendously later in the market.

It's teams like the Redskins that get crushed because they comitt too early and end up negotiating contracts up by themselves because they are susceptible to agent hyperbolic tactics.  

That Idzik pisses off agents, is actually a good thing for the Jets.

If it comes with D-Jax then I'm all for it.

eh who am I kidding DeSean will probably go to N.E. :barf:

still, they've got to get another Qb in eventually. May very well be Vick

also, FWIW Jets re signed Willie Colon. 1 year 2 mil. 

..yeah heard about Colon. I'm feeling really good about our o'line this coming season.

Who knows, the fact that there is now this new perception that; "Idzik can't close a deal" --may be the driving force in pushing the Jets to sign Vick on Friday.

Say what you want about Rex.. but outside of Sanchez.. the dearth of talent at quarterback he's had heading into his 6th season, is staggering! (Tebow, Clemens, Ainge, Brunell, O'Connell, McElroy, Garrard, Simms, Geno) Michael Vick would be the most accomplished QB under Ryan's tenure.. and fans like me have been SCREAMING to see what Rex can do with a legit QB since 2009. I was stunned to learn that Vick is still only 33 years-old. With MM already on board as OC.. this marriage could be something very special.

Some twitter rumors they Jets are trying to trade for Johnathan Joseph

@TurnOnTheJets: Hey Now RT @Dennis_Agapito: Jets are looking to swing a trade for Houston Texans cornerback Johnathan Joseph, per source #nyj .... Don't know how reliable but take it for what it's worth! Lol

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jets/post/_/id/36767/colon-vick-vs-geno-would-be-arrows-up

Willie Colon speaking to reporters on a conference call Wednesday after signing his new contract, gave a thumb's up to Vick. "Vick speaks for itself. His resume in itself is amazing. He is an outstanding athlete and what he can bring to the table in coach Mornhinweg's offense is impressive. Obviously, they have that rapport. They have that relationship that was established in Philadelphia. It's all arrows up when it comes to that situation." Although Colon praised Smith for the way he finished the season, he didn't sugar-coat his answer when asked about increased expectations for Geno in year two. "I expect it." Colon said. "Not only do I expect it, I think he has to be better. For all of us to be successful, we can't have the turnovers that we had last season. We have to be more efficient on first and second down. We have to be a more efficient offense all together, and that starts with the quarterback. I think he knows that.

Colon needs to be careful here. He's coming off very critical on Geno.. while praising Vick.

This is very bittersweet for me. I am pumped beyond belief at the arrival of V7 and the possibilities and potential this marriage could offer. At the same time, I am disgusted at how the Sanchise Saga has concluded. In a perfect world, Vick & Sanchez would be the Jets 1 & 2 for the 2014 season. Sadly, that's not the case.. and before I turn the page and focus my excitement, allow me to vent.

SanchezJets_zpsb54d8171.png

5 years ago the New York Jets drafted a 22 year-old kid to take over for a 40 year-old quarterback (who didn’t want to play here anymore) by the name of Brett Favre. Through 2010, he took the city by storm. He broke records for road victories by a rookie QB. He helped lead the Jets to 2 AFC Championships. He won 30 victories off his first 47 games (including playoff wins) the most throughout the span by a quarterback in Jets history. He was the "Sanchize" with boundless potential. And from 2011 on.. the organization rewarded their QB, by going out of their way to do everything possible in destroying him. Sadly, they finally succeeded in the end. They dissembled ⅗ his offensive line. They substituted five starters on offense, with five nobodies from the scrap heap in one offseason. From 2010-2013, he went through 3 offensive coordinators. They openly chased Peyton Manning, coming off a season where Sanchez accounted for 32 touchdowns. They traded for Tim Tebow. They signed David Garrard. They drafted Geno Smith. They acquired Michael Vick. Then one summer night in August, they sent him out in the fourth quarter of a meaningless preseason game (behind players that are currently folding cloths @ the GAP) and allowed him to get pummeled and destroyed, in the name of; ‘competition’ off a contest he had already won.

THIS my friends, is the yet-to-be written biography by the Jets, titled: “How NOT to develop a franchise Quarterback!”

I'm actually mixed too...Vick IS the best talent the Jets have had at the position since Favre's first few weeks as a Jet, but let's be honest this is a short-term patch so Geno can do what he should have been doing THIS year - sitting and learning.  And at this point in his life Vick can actually be a good mentor to Geno and teach him how to use his talents.

I actually felt bad for Sanchez this year though, both in how he lost his season and because he played the good team guy and was actually visible cheering on the sidelines as opposed to sulking/rehabbing at home which he would have had every right to do to be honest.  And I do hope he finds a new start this year somewhere.

Vick did his time and all that was another lifetime ago.  You can believe he's changed, not believe it or not care...but this is the same guy that took Riley Cooper off the griddle during the offseason when all THAT nonsense was going on with something that could have easily been divisive, instead Cooper had a good year and nothing more came of it after Vick publicly took up for him.

Edited by NJDevs4978

Maybe he'll be better with Morningweig, but Vick seemed totally washed up last year, even when he's healthy. Throws to many picks, and even when he runs, defenses are already used to much bigger and powerful guys like Newton, Kap, or even Tannehill. Doesn't make a ton of sense to me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3ouz__QIrkI

61 yards, as if it were nothing. That highlight is from 5 months ago.

It's hardly fair to call a 33 year old player "washed up". Vick rushed for over 300 yards last season, in only 7 games.. on pace for a 700 yrd rushing year. His QB rating was his best in 4 seasons..

..and turnover talk?? Is this actually an honest statement? Did you watch Jet games last year?? Geno threw 21 picks in 15 games. Vick's thrown 32 interceptions since 2009. I think it's safe to say: Vick's an upgrade over players like McElroy, Simms, Garrard, Clemens & Tebow. Fact is, the Jets haven't had a QB of Vicks quality since Brett Favre six years ago!

Edited by Beezer34

I think in a perfect world Vick doesn't see snap this year, since Geno takes a big step forward and becomes a reliable #1 QB. But we couldn't go into this season with absolutely zilch at the backup position like last year. And Vick is familiar with our OC having worked with him in Philly. So the move does make sense even if I'm not the biggest fan of his. Vick is better than Sanchez...his issue is mostly fumbles, he's never been an interception machine. Sanchez is both

I don't know. I can't see the Jets making such a signing in the spirit of an "insurance policy" QB.. especially if they acquire DeSean in the coming days. Who are we kidding?? Let's be fair.. we'd have MM, Jackson & Vick.. the 3 main components of what was ranked the 3rd best offense in the NFL in 2011. The Jets are posturing. They can talk about a fair competition all they want.. they brought Michael Vick in here to start.

What I DO believe however, is that G. Smith will have an evolving role as a wildcat quarterback. If you read alot of quotes from Morningweig last year, I believe that was the original plan for last season. But MS injured himself, and the plan changed dramatically.

I know some Jet fans may groan at the notion of that, with how badly 2012 blew up in out faces.. but I gotta believe that the elements of: Morningweig, Geno & Vick.. know what they're doing a lot more than: Sanchez, Sparano & Tebow.