No Banner Raising?

CarpathianForest

At this point, Elias has cemented his #26 going to the rafters, IMO. Whether he finishes his career a Devil or not....

Agree, the Devils enjoyed his all of his prime years, and he's their all-time leading scorer by a mile...he should be around 930+ points by the end of this season. Two Cups and stayed when he had the chance to leave. It hasn't been all smooth sailing, but the same could be said about Stevens, Daneyko, and Niedermayer. He's definitely going up, and just like Stevens and Daneyko, there won't be any debate about it amongst the fans.

Didn't want to create a new topic for this so since this thread is about opening night. Has anyone seen whether this thing is close to a sellout or not? All the players keep talking about expecting a great atmosphere, but this is a Tuesday night and not Saturday like the Isles had.

I actually don't think this game will sell out...

Didn't want to create a new topic for this so since this thread is about opening night. Has anyone seen whether this thing is close to a sellout or not? All the players keep talking about expecting a great atmosphere, but this is a Tuesday night and not Saturday like the Isles had.

I actually don't think this game will sell out...

Not even close, nobody is going to pay $130 plus in the next 24 hours.

http://www.ticketmaster.com/event/02004A2C01A26DA3?artistid=805982&majorcatid=10004&minorcatid=9

You can't compare Graves to Daneyko. Danekyo spent his entire career with the Devils, and was the "original" Devil. A better comparison would be Sergei Brylin or Claude Lemieux.

The only sure thing jersey retirements going forward are Marty, and Elias if he finishes out his career with the Devils. It only happens for Kovalchuk if he wins a Cup and plays for the team for another ten years at a high level.

Elias could go to the Rangers at this point and the Devils would still retire his jersey.

Not even close, nobody is going to pay $130 plus in the next 24 hours.

http://www.ticketmas...04&minorcatid=9

Well sth's can still get them for less lol...but yeah this doesn't look like a sellout and the Devils have nobody but themselves to blame, they didn't put tickets on sale to the public till basically Thursday or Friday, didn't even run an ad to buy tickets for the home opener on Saturday's telecast.

Well sth's can still get them for less lol...but yeah this doesn't look like a sellout and the Devils have nobody but themselves to blame, they didn't put tickets on sale to the public till basically Thursday or Friday, didn't even run an ad to buy tickets for the home opener on Saturday's telecast.

Devils with poor marketing and/or advertising? Who saw that coming?

Stubhub is not the greatest indicator as those seats are already technically listed as "sold" to the original owner.

Plus it's going to be a little misleading at the start of this year because nobody has hard tickets to sell yet. And not everyone is computer literate as far as being able to upload PDF files to sell on StubHub.

On the subject of tickets and attendance, I'm watching the Toronto-Buffalo game and they said everyone got in the ACC for free tonight. So I'm assuming the Leafs just gave away tickets, I have no idea how they went about it. Would love to know if that's actually true though.

On the subject of tickets and attendance, I'm watching the Toronto-Buffalo game and they said everyone got in the ACC for free tonight. So I'm assuming the Leafs just gave away tickets, I have no idea how they went about it. Would love to know if that's actually true though.

Yup, Leafs announced it a week ago. Idk how they did it, I guess first come first serve.

Well most of them are sth's anyway so they just got credited an extra game's worth of money I'd imagine. Who knows how they distributed the remaining tickets, probably people were camped outside overnight to get them on gameday or something lol

It was like when the Star Wars Episode I came out. People camped out for tickets only to be disappointed by what they saw. : (

Rangers ended up 1000 short of a sellout for their opener against the Pens last night. I'm amazed the didn't paper the numbers like they usually do to save face on this one.

The clubs seats might not be full tomorrow night, but I expect everywhere else to be full or very close to it.

It was a sell out. MSG capacity for this year is 17,200 until renovations are completed.

At this point, Elias has cemented his #26 going to the rafters, IMO. Whether he finishes his career a Devil or not....

I wonder how many Devils fans said that about John MacLean before he not only left but left on bad terms.

Elias could go to the Rangers at this point and the Devils would still retire his jersey.

131729002_-blue-new-york-rangers-program-john-maclean-new-york-.jpg

I wonder how many Devils fans said that about John MacLean before he not only left but left on bad terms.

In fairness, John MacLean was younger (33) and still could've been a contributor, though not in the way the team envisioned. He didn't want to be a checker, having come off a 29-goal season. But his refusal to do what the coaching staff felt would be better for the team looked kind of bad, especially when Scott Stevens was asked to do the same (coming off an 18-goal, 60-assist season in '93-'94) and did so without a hint of complaint.

I think there were definitely times where Elias wondered if he should've stayed here throughout the past six seasons, but he never really alluded to that publicly, and he's always been a good soldier. If age catches up to him and he struggles this year, and the Devils decide that they don't want him back, or at not enough cash for Elias' liking, I'm not going to hold it against him if he goes to the Rangers.

Anyway, my point with the above is I don't equate MacLean to Elias at all, if Elias ever left to play for the Rangers. MacLean was the one who initiated his exit, while I get the feeling Elias may have less say in it, should it happen. It's too bad MacLean wouldn't accept his new role, because he could've had a nice, Bobby Carpenter-type finish to his Devils career, and would've gone out beloved, as opposed to debated.

And I don't hold anything against MacLean signing with the Rangers either...what is the guy supposed to do, not find work?

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Also, for my money, Elias is a better player than MacLean was, and it probably isn't even that close. That's both for the Devils and for overall career. Maclean played in an era where multiple players would score 50+ goals, Elias played in an era where players scored less and Elias still outdid MacLean by points, while being a better defensive player.

MacLean was a top Devil for a bunch of years, Elias was a top player in the league for a bunch of years. I'd rate Elias much higher when looking whose jersey might get retired, even if you counted MacLean's whole career.