GDT: Philthadelphia Failures @ New Jersey Devils

Coorslight

Philly played a great first period, they just got it raw on the scoreboard. If they stuck to their gameplan, they could've pulled off an emotional comeback win. But no. They're the Flyers, so they do what Flyers do: Goon it up. It was entertaining for us, but I'm not sure their fans are entertained by the 0-3 start.

I think there was a combination of things last night. Philly's quick start was probably helped by their timing being really good and the Devils timing being a little rusty. Then as the game wears on, the Devils timing starts to get a little better and the Flyers legs start to wear out because of the 3 games in 4 nights.

The unlucky first period for the Flyers probably doomed them as they likely needed to win that period to win the game.

i feel weird for thinking this... but for the first time of his devils career when Clarkson was fighting i was thinking... God don't break your hand or something we need you to score goals..... :headless chicken: never thought i'd think that way about Clarkson lol

Matteau's got him covered with the wrap-arounds now. No worries, amigo.

I think there was a combination of things last night. Philly's quick start was probably helped by their timing being really good and the Devils timing being a little rusty. Then as the game wears on, the Devils timing starts to get a little better and the Flyers legs start to wear out because of the 3 games in 4 nights.

The unlucky first period for the Flyers probably doomed them as they likely needed to win that period to win the game.

I might not be giving the Devils enough credit for the win. But the way that game looked to me, it just seemed like the Flyers imploded under the weight of that disappointing first period.

Either way, good on the Devils for picking it up and locking it down. There's a lot to be optimistic about after two games.

Hell has frozen over, this is a quote from TSN on last nights game: "the Devils won their home opener in front of an enthusiastic sellout crowd"

I can't remember TSN ever giving our crowds any positive mention

FWIW, that's an AP story that TSN picked up. The same story is on ESPN's NHL page.

http://scores.espn.g...ameId=400442504

In any case, it's still relatively uncommon for the AP to use that kind of wording. Tom Canavan is the AP writer who covered this, and according to his Twitter, he's been covering New Jersey sports since '84.

Edited by DaneykoIsGod

Near Branford Place and Treat Place.. Been parking there for years with no issues

Thankfully, nothing was taken. Guy just broke the window and quickly searched the glove compartment and center console.. Like I said, he passed up on two $200 hockey sticks

He was probably a drunk or a junky looking for straight up cash for the next fix. Sucks about your window, but I'm glad nothing got stolen at least.

He was probably a drunk or a junky looking for straight up cash for the next fix. Sucks about your window, but I'm glad nothing got stolen at least.

Yeah i figured as much.. Thanks for the kind words guys, guess I'll have to buy a parking pass from now on

I might not be giving the Devils enough credit for the win. But the way that game looked to me, it just seemed like the Flyers imploded under the weight of that disappointing first period.

Either way, good on the Devils for picking it up and locking it down. There's a lot to be optimistic about after two games.

+1 for sure. I was not overly impressed with how we played, although we took advantage of our offensive opportunities enough to win. I was massively disappointed with Philly's effort; I thought they were a much better team than what they've showed in three games.

Gotta love the Flyer strategy when they're losing:

1) Take penalties, throw unnecessary hits, and try to start fights

2) ?????????

3) Win game

How's 0-3 feel? But hey, the strategy will either work, or you'll make a lot of stupid Broad Street Retards fans happy

I think Bryz left his brain in space. That Clarkson goal was a laugher. Instead of following the puck he focused on his lost stick and before he knew it the puck was in the back of the net. That's goaltending-101. Don't take your eyes off of the puck! Brainfart Bryzgalov.

What a glorious start to the season. Rags 0-2. Phailures 0-3. Devils 2-0.

I think Bryz left his brain in space. That Clarkson goal was a laugher. Instead of following the puck he focused on his lost stick and before he knew it the puck was in the back of the net. That's goaltending-101. Don't take your eyes off of the puck! Brainfart Bryzgalov.

That's a pretty tough save. Clarkson just whips it through the crease and it bounces off the defenseman's skate and goes into the far side corner. If it doesn't deflect in off his own player then the puck probably flies out of the zone. I think that shot's going to go by almost every goalie.

Looks like Schenn will be the first player this year to sit down with Shanahan about a questionable hit.

Tom Gulitti@TGfireandice

Flyers Brayden Schenn has a supplemental discipline hearing today for possibly leaving his feet on hit on Anton Volchenkov in 2nd period.

TG tweeted a link to the hit

Nothing blatantly bad, but he's borderline on leaving his feet, borderline on charging, and borderline head area. It won't surprise me if the league gives him a game as a message, rather than because the hit was actually that bad.

That's a pretty tough save. Clarkson just whips it through the crease and it bounces off the defenseman's skate and goes into the far side corner. If it doesn't deflect in off his own player then the puck probably flies out of the zone. I think that shot's going to go by almost every goalie.

IBryz put himself in that position by taking extra time to go fishing for his lost stick. If he keeps his focus on the puck instead of trying to go after his stick he puts himself in a much better position to make the save. I think a lot of the top end goalies, or even more seasoned goalies would have forgotten about the lost stick and kept their eyes on the puck. He just lets up too many of those oddball goals.

IBryz put himself in that position by taking extra time to go fishing for his lost stick. If he keeps his focus on the puck instead of trying to go after his stick he puts himself in a much better position to make the save. I think a lot of the top end goalies, or even more seasoned goalies would have forgotten about the lost stick and kept their eyes on the puck. He just lets up too many of those oddball goals.

Even if he was following the puck, what is he suppose to do? I rarely see goalies being able to react quickly enough to a player shooting from behind the net, off the defenseman, and into the far side of the net. The play is over before the goalie has time to react, even when they have their stick.

Goalies get beat on those plays when there are actual shots, it's that much harder when it's a deflection off your teammate and there was no Devil in front of the net to worry about.

IBryz

This is one fad I'd REALLY like to see die already! The "Initial of first name, first syllable of last name", I'm-so-hip way of referring to professional athletes and celebrities. JLo...ARod...ScarJo...thank God no one ever called Brodeur MBro, or Kovalchuk IKov, or Clarkson DClark.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

It looks like I stand corrected. From my seat it looked like Bryzgalov put himself way out of position by going after his stick but from this photo it looks like his head was at least somewhat focused on the puck. I figured if he at least gave up on the stick he'd be in a better position to have the puck hit him off of the deflection.

-00e562cc8c5d11e4.jpg

This is one fad I'd REALLY like to see die already! The "Initial of first name, first syllable of last name", I'm-so-hip way of referring to professional athletes and celebrities. JLo...ARod...ScarJo...thank God no one ever called Brodeur MBro, or Kovalchuk IKov, or Clarkson DClark.

That was actually a typo on my part. I was going to type something else and didn't delete all of the letters! I agree with your sediment about that fad. :doh1:

That was actually a typo on my part. I was going to type something else and didn't delete all of the letters! I agree with your sediment about that fad. :doh1:

Wasn't berating you personally BTW, in case you may have thought otherwise...I just really really REALLY hate that fad! Glad I have company.

Why do people keep saying "a win is a win" as if we didn't deserve it? A strong first period..

I thought they deserved to win with the way they played in the final two periods but the first period wasn't strong at all. They were outshot 9-3; let's be honest, they were lucky to come away with 2 goals from that, especially the Clarkson PPG that bounced off of Fedotenko's skate.

The Flyers were a little unlucky overall, it seemed, but Marty was fantastic.

I think we need more time to evaluate Matteau but offensively I think he's shown some nice things; he's not afraid to put the puck on net.

Edited by nmigliore

The Flyers were unlucky the way the Devils were unlucky in 2010-2011; that's the way the cookie crumbles. Granted, the Flyers have some serious issues to get over (not unlike the issues we had in 2010/2011, so you make your own luck, and many times get what you deserve).

The Flyers were unlucky the way the Devils were unlucky in 2010-2011; that's the way the cookie crumbles. Granted, the Flyers have some serious issues to get over (not unlike the issues we had in 2010/2011, so you make your own luck, and many times get what you deserve).

As long as they don't get Seth Jones out of it like we got Larsson

I for one agree with you and understand EXACTLY what you mean. this board is very into selecting minutiae, deliberately being obtuse or overly specific in order to feel correct/superior. You may sound glib and superior which is fine by me - you also happen to be correct. If he is to STAND A CHANCE of making the save he has to keep his eye on the puck. Marty never fvckers around with his stick - if he loses it he plays without it until a whistle.

• Like 1