Bobby Butler called up

thelastonealive

I think he should help, maybe if we sign Darche CBGB can finally become the 4th line again

Zubrus - Zajac/Henrique - Kovalchuk

Elias - Zajac/Henrique - Clarkson

Darche - Josefson - Butler

Carter - Gionta - Bernier

Getting the goons out of the lineup should do a world of good.

I agree with this. As much as I love the CBGB line, they're a 4th line, not a third. We've been playing the whole season so far with a 4th and a 5th line but no third.

I read on Fire and Ice that Lou works in 10 game windows. I think we see changes after 10 games. No point in making a trade if you don't know what you have or what you need. I think Butler is the last "try out" if you will. Then we see a move.

I can't believe that no one brought up Boychuk. I thought he looked pretty good. Since Lou is always bargain shopping, I think it would have been a decent pickup.

Edit: I thought I was in the game day topic, oh well.

I'm not sure, but I think PIT were ahead of NJ in in the waiver order?

Edit: ah, yes.

If more than one team makes a claim, then the player will be transferred to the team having the lowest percentage of possible points in league standings at the time of the request for waivers.

At the time PIT had played 1 more game and had 1 fewer point, so their claim would've gone before ours anyways.

Edited by Marshall

We saw in the playoffs that in order for our system to work right we need 4 good forward lines to keep the puck out of our own zone. Right now this team needs to pick up 1 or 2 wingers, and in my opinion one of then needs to be a first or second line guy. We need someone to get kovy going. He really has looked bad these last 3 games and his line isnt clicking at all. If we are going to make the playoffs he needs to be the kovy from last year.

I think butler may be a good addition but leading up to the season I was saying out butler with Ilya, kovy will compliment his play style really well. Now I'm feeling that we need someone to compliment kovy's play style

Edited by njd3b1ink

I see everyone is including Darche in their wishlist lines. Is there any news on him or are things still "status quo"?

It's obvious that they are holding training camp during the first 20 games or so of this season. So Butler is now getting his tryout now, along with Barch. The D is having their tryout as well. If Butler isn't great(Bernier solidified his spot tonight) then Lou may sign Darche. Darche will have his go, and if all else fails then, I would expect to see Matteau back, as I really don't think Lou cares about the contract situation. I can see Tallinder being the odd D out and being moved near the deadline. (maybe a late first round pick from a team that will finish well) The versatile Harrold will be the 7th D man.( I wonder if he ever donned the pads?)

Darche is a pretty good skater and I see them hoping on Poni like results if he come aboard.

Man, it must be fun to be a NHL GM.

It's obvious that they are holding training camp during the first 20 games or so of this season. So Butler is now getting his tryout now, along with Barch. The D is having their tryout as well. If Butler isn't great(Bernier solidified his spot tonight) then Lou may sign Darche. Darche will have his go, and if all else fails then, I would expect to see Matteau back, as I really don't think Lou cares about the contract situation. I can see Tallinder being the odd D out and being moved near the deadline. (maybe a late first round pick from a team that will finish well) The versatile Harrold will be the 7th D man.( I wonder if he ever donned the pads?)

Darche is a pretty good skater and I see them hoping on Poni like results if he come aboard.

Man, it must be fun to be a NHL GM.

I doubt their looking for Poni like results. Darche never score the way Poni did earlier in his career. I think the best we get out of Darche is a 4th liner who can be A. Not retarded and B. Occasionally put up a couple points. I mean, the guy has a career high of 22pts with TB and he's only appeared in 250 games, so he's no veteran of the NHL. Poni put up 61 points a few years back in Toronto, so Darche will definitely not be a Poni like acquisition. Like I said, he's probably better than the crap we got on the 4th line Jojo excluded, so that's an improvement, but I don't see him being anything beyond what Rob Niedermayer was for us.

I think I'd like to see something like

Kovy-JJ-Zubrus

Elias-Zajac-Butler

Darche/Matteau-Henrique-Clarkson

Carter-Gionta-Benrier

JJ on the first line?! No thanks.

Until a trade happens this should ideally be the lines. (but most likely won't be.)

Kovy-Zajac-Zubrus

Elias-Henrique-Clarkson

Matteau-JJ-Butler

CBGB

I see nothing wrong with that top six. The third line might be a bit worrisome but everyone should know by now that lineup would not be permanent

I would put Clarkson on the third line with JJ. Most of Clarksons goals and points he generates by himself because he is a great puck possession player and he would add stability to that third line. Put Butler with Elias and Zubrus to see what Bobby can do and have Adam play with Travis and Kovy, and we need CBGB to become our 4th line so we can roll four lines. Thats when the Deboer system is magic!

Henrique Zajac Kovalchuk

Zubrus Elias Butler

Matteau/Darche/Trade Josefson Clarkson

Carter Gionta Bernier

Edited by Zubie#8

I would put Clarkson on the third line with JJ. Most of Clarksons goals and points he generates by himself because he is a great puck possession player and he would add stability to that third line. Put Butler with Elias and Zubrus to see what Bobby can do and have Adam play with Travis and Kovy, and we need CBGB to become our 4th line so we can roll four lines. Thats when the Deboer system is magic!

Henrique Zajac Kovalchuk

Zubrus Elias Butler

Carter Gionta Bernier

I like it!

Henrique Zajac Kovalchuk

Zubrus Elias Butler

Carter Gionta Bernier

I have no faith that Butler can hack it in our top 6. I still think no matter what we do, we need a d for f trade.

Edited by ATLL765

I have no faith that Butler can hack it in our top 6. I still think no matter what we do, we need a d for f trade.

Wont hurt to try him with Patty and Zubrus. If an old Sykora flourished on that line this kid might fit in as well.

I just think we need some kind of scoring threat on the third line. Clarkson should be there.

Edited by Zubie#8
  • Like 1

Wont hurt to try him with Patty and Zubrus. If an old Sykora flourished on that line this kid might fit in as well.

I just think we need some kind of scoring threat on the third line. Clarkson should be there.

Zubie#8 for president (dont want to know what steriodesign will ask his daughter to do to you :P )

Agreed, but to ink him into a top 6 spot with the thought that things will be ok like that, isn't smart. Maybe he fits and it's great, but there's a pretty good chance that he won't hack it and we'll be in the same position we are now, except a couple weeks later into the season.

Agreed, but to ink him into a top 6 spot with the thought that things will be ok like that, isn't smart. Maybe he fits and it's great, but there's a pretty good chance that he won't hack it and we'll be in the same position we are now, except a couple weeks later into the season.

To be fair, Matteau, and Tedenby got shots in the top 6. Butler has at least shown that he can produce at the NHL level in the past. There's no reason not to see what he can do with any combination of a Kovalchuk, Zajac, Elias, Henrique, etc. Or with JJ and a wing that isn't Barch.

Out of curiosity, why are you so sure he'll fail? He's leading the AHL team in scoring, made the AHL Allstar game as a starter, and he had a solid NHL season before some injuries. On paper, it looks like he could be of some use on a team that can't seem to score.

To be fair, Matteau, and Tedenby got shots in the top 6. Butler has at least shown that he can produce at the NHL level in the past. There's no reason not to see what he can do with any combination of a Kovalchuk, Zajac, Elias, Henrique, etc. Or with JJ and a wing that isn't Barch.

Out of curiosity, why are you so sure he'll fail? He's leading the AHL team in scoring, made the AHL Allstar game as a starter, and he had a solid NHL season before some injuries. On paper, it looks like he could be of some use on a team that can't seem to score.

He could be every bit as good as Sykora was for us last year. Putting him on a line with Elias and Zubrus wouldn't be a bad idea.

I doubt their looking for Poni like results. Darche never score the way Poni did earlier in his career. I think the best we get out of Darche is a 4th liner who can be A. Not retarded and B. Occasionally put up a couple points. I mean, the guy has a career high of 22pts with TB and he's only appeared in 250 games, so he's no veteran of the NHL. Poni put up 61 points a few years back in Toronto, so Darche will definitely not be a Poni like acquisition. Like I said, he's probably better than the crap we got on the 4th line Jojo excluded, so that's an improvement, but I don't see him being anything beyond what Rob Niedermayer was for us.

Both players have exactly 48 points in their last 3 seasons played, so yeah, Darche's production couldn't possibly be close to Poni.

Both players have exactly 48 points in their last 3 seasons played, so yeah, Darche's production couldn't possibly be close to Poni.

In 2009-2010, Poni had 50 points. I think you're forgetting that he has been traded a lot. Edited by nessus