Devils acquire Loktionov

jagknife

Anyone else think this means that Lou is gonna trade a Dman for a pick? Move Lokti or JJ to wing and have

Zubrus-Zajac-Kovalchuk

Elias-Henrique-Clarkson

Loktianov-JJ-Butler

4th line

In theory yes. But then you have to make barch disappear along with Mattaeu who they seem to want to keep around for whatever reason. One of those combinations while also trading a dman.

How does the roster space work out? Anyone?

Why are people putting Loktionov on wing in the lines? If he wasn't successful there already, where the Kings wanted him and led to him being sent to minors, there's no reason he should be on wing here. Also if it's true he wanted to be traded BECAUSE of all that...then it would be a stupid move to think you'd trade a 5th and try him at wing OR keep him in the AHL.

If all of that is true, then Lou saw him as the 3rd line C, which IDK what that means. 

I really like this move. Low risk, high reward. As other people have mentioned, this opens up the possibility to get a draft pick by trading one of the Devils' defensemen. And who knows, maybe the Devils could land something as good as a late 2nd if they send over a package with one of the D. I wonder when he'll be called up.

From what I saw in the Kings games where he played, he was pretty good. A solid third liner player and with development a possible second liner.

From what I saw in the Kings games when he played, he was pretty good. A solid third liner player and with development a possible second liner.

Dean Lombardi:"You’ve got the issue is that after his contract is up he could go back to Russia.You just try to make the best deal you can".

It appears we got Loktionov for the discount we did because he's a risk to go to the K if he doesn't have a solid spot on the roster by the end of the season. Well worth the risk for a 5th.

Also to a man, the Kings fans over on HF are saying we got a pretty good player. The consensus is if we put Loktionov in a position to succeed (meaning with wingers who can score), he can and will be a playmaker and get the guys the puck. He isn't much of a goal scorer, and will not make weaker players better. He also apparently can not play the wing at all, the Kings fans say this kid is a center or nothing.

I keep reading his name as Lotion Off and keep hearing "it puts the lotion in the basket" whenever I read his name.

I was having the same problem but now I've conditioned myself to say "Lock" first. "Lock-tee-on-off" is the pronunciation I heard the most watching clips of him, but somebody else can correct me if that's incorrect.

I was having the same problem but now I've conditioned myself to say "Lock" first. "Lock-tee-on-off" is the pronunciation I heard the most watching clips of him, but somebody else can correct me if that's incorrect.

Yeah, you got it. Emphasis on the "on" syllable.

Where are we going to play this kid? If he is awful on wing - why not just either roll with what we have? We are stacked at center. Unless JJ is getting demoted for this guy...

I don't see CBGB being broken up anytime soon so the move, unless he is going to be our 3rd line winger just seems so odd. Why do we need a "slower Tedenby"? We already have a Tedenby and ours is underwhelming to say the least.

I just don't get this at all.

I am intrigued with the idea of possibly moving Josefson to wing. Don't know why they would do it.

I mean, I very much hope their not looking at a Josefson/Dman package unless it is for something pretty good.

Well, let's think about it like this - the Devils have plenty of center depth right now (before the Loktionov deal), but zero wing depth.  But if a center gets hurt, they're in trouble - their alternatives are either to move a current wing to center (awful) or call up a center (depth at center in Albany is Zalewski, Sestito, and that's it on NHL deals).  So this way now if either a wing or center gets hurt, they can move a center to wing and get a look at Loktionov.

Still, I don't quite understand it long-term assuming Loktionov can't play wing, because even if they let Elias walk they have 3 NHL centers.  Now of course I would stump for Henrique's permanent move to wing and if this is a move in that direction great, but if it's not, I don't really see what it is besides having an NHL stopgap for half a season and then letting that player go back to Russia at the end of his contract.

Tri, what are your thoughts about Henrique at wing. Let's say this Lok kid is good...

Henrique-Lok-Kovy

or reverse wings. What kind of potential does that have, IF that's maybe a pipe dream thought Lou is having with that trade.  High risk/reward.

I like it.  Use Elias-Zajac-Clarkson against the toughs, give the Henrique-Loktionov-Kovalchuk line a lot of time in the offensive zone, then have a third line with Zubrus, Josefson, and Butler.  4th line CBGB.  If you want to use CBGB against the other team's 2nd line, as DeBoer (insanely) did in last year's playoffs, go nuts.

• Like 1

I like it.  Use Elias-Zajac-Clarkson against the toughs, give the Henrique-Loktionov-Kovalchuk line a lot of time in the offensive zone, then have a third line with Zubrus, Josefson, and Butler.  4th line CBGB.  If you want to use CBGB against the other team's 2nd line, as DeBoer (insanely) did in last year's playoffs, go nuts.

Then we finally have our 3rd line and CBGB as the rightful "Best 4th line in the league". Hopefully that makes sense...we'll see in a few weeks I'd assume. 

All of the sudden we go from no offensive depth past the first line and a half to full depth.