Devils acquire Loktionov

jagknife

Guys, you even don't know about the players of your team :( Zubrus is NOT Russian, he's Lithuanian, Ponikarovsky is NOT Russian, he's from Ukraine.. And if you don't understand the difference, it's your problem.

holy sh!t... i always thought Lithuanian was some kind of decease like being diabetic or something... the more you know :P

When I meant he is surrounded by Russians he is surrounded by guys who speak Russian. Poni and Zubs are not Russian but they speak Russian....

Guys, you even don't know about the players of your team :( Zubrus is NOT Russian, he's Lithuanian, Ponikarovsky is NOT Russian, he's from Ukraine.. And if you don't understand the difference, it's your problem.

When I meant he is surrounded by Russians he is surrounded by guys who speak Russian. Poni and Zubs are not Russian but they speak Russian....

they all used to be Russia/USSR when the majority of them were born (except maybe Loktionov) so good enough 

Its just about time. I'd be comfortable with extending this kid right now. He has absolutely left Josefson in the dust and become a big part of this team. And for a 5th rounder? 

he's not really here to replace josefson. they are different types of players and were expected to be different types of players. josefson has never been a scorer in his career. he's a solid two way center that has good hockey smarts and knows where to be.

loktionov is a skill guy whose offense is supposed to carry him.

Loktionov looks to me like the perfect type offensive center to give weak minutes to. You have Josefson and Zajac to eat tough minutes as early as next year, ideally Henrique still moves to the wing.

Ponikarovski - Loktionov - Kovalchuk

Elias - Henrique - Clarkson

Josefson - Zajac - Zubrus

Carter - Gionta - Bernier

With goaltending I think NJ may be better up front then last year with progression

Edited by Jas0nMacIsaac

Its just about time. I'd be comfortable with extending this kid right now. He has absolutely left Josefson in the dust and become a big part of this team. And for a 5th rounder? 

he's not really here to replace josefson. they are different types of players and were expected to be different types of players. josefson has never been a scorer in his career. he's a solid two way center that has good hockey smarts and knows where to be.

loktionov is a skill guy whose offense is supposed to carry him.

You're right about that, I was just talking about passing him on the organizational depth chart. I wasn't intending for it to come across as I was comparing the styles they play.

Stop being an ignorant American.

You don't make comments like that to people from the former satellites.

I dunno how that's ignorant. If you were born in the former USSR, you were Russian. If America split today, people from other places would still refer to the whole mass that used to be america as america for at least a decent amt of time 

I dunno how that's ignorant. If you were born in the former USSR, you were Russian. If America split today, people from other places would still refer to the whole mass that used to be america as america for at least a decent amt of time

It's extremely ignorant. Try telling a Latvian they were Russian and see how they react. Try telling that to someone in Western Ukraine and see how long you last. How about Georgians, Armenians....etc etc.

Russians (and I'm speaking as one myself) were a bunch of oppressors and very few people took pride in being 'Soviet' and they certainly didn't feel 'Russian.'

Edited by StormJosh

No, you'd be (forcibly) a Soviet

The difference is that we share a common language and history for the past 300 years. The countries that made up the USSR varied in language as drastically as going from Portuguese to Italian (some of them go even further and aren't even from the Slavic language group). Their histories and cultures vary tremendously. The union itself only lasted about 60 years and some of those countries only spent a portion of that time as part of it.

Edited by NewarkDevil5

Of course you don't know how that's ignorant, because you're ignorant. Oppression, genocide, totalitarian regimes...

Much of the Soviet Union was forcefully brought in against the wishes of the existing ethnic republics. An Estonian doesn't magically become a "Russian" nor even a "Soviet" simply because the Red Army annexed his nation into the USSR. The 13 American colonies and subsequent additional states unified themselves voluntarily to create a new nation and a new people. The same can not be said for the USSR.

It's extremely ignorant. Try telling a Latvian they were Russian and see how they react. Try telling that to someone in Western Ukraine and see how long you last. How about Georgians, Armenians....etc etc.

Russians (and I'm speaking as one myself) were a bunch of oppressors and very few people took pride in being 'Soviet' and they certainly didn't feel 'Russian.'

how about the soviet 5 then. Because they were soviets even if they didn't like it. 

edit: and btdubzzz I know all about the history, I'm not a dope. I just thought it'd be a good nickname for them since it's the same area and they were part of the same "country" whether or not they liked it

edit 2: they were all born in the soviet union I checked on Loktionov. So Soviet 5 would be accurate 

Edited by DH26