I miss Doc....

Bryan

Meh I'm starting to be annoyed at Doc and I'm sure I'm going to be in the minority. Didn't he leave us to go to NBC on a "limited schedule" meaning doing less games then he would broadcasting for the Devils? Meanwhile he's nearly on every game NBC has.

I love hearing Doc and all but it seems like giant cop out for more exposure and to talk about the "bigger market teams".

Meh I'm starting to be annoyed at Doc and I'm sure I'm going to be in the minority. Didn't he leave us to go to NBC on a "limited schedule" meaning doing less games then he would broadcasting for the Devils? Meanwhile he's nearly on every game NBC has.

I love hearing Doc and all but it seems like giant cop out for more exposure and to talk about the "bigger market teams".

He's working like 1 or 2 games a week. That's a big difference compared to the 6 games we play in 8 days from the 2nd to 10th this month.

He was doing our schedule PLUS the NBC schedule. NHL/NBC signed a larger contract, which meant more games...that was when Doc stepped down and took the NBC exclusive contract.

Also, you never know if that was part of the deal with NBC, that they had exclusivity of him. Either way, we were more then blessed with his skill for many many years.

I think Cangialosi has come in and done a fine job of replacing Doc. NJ has always been blessed with some great announcers.

Of course he hasn't replaced Doc, but he's definitely improved since picking up the top position. Not too much "SCARRR" anymore, but still plenty of "LOOSE IN FRONT" and "sharp-angle try". I think he's done an alright job, but definitely doesn't play off Chico as well as Doc did.

I'm still glad we get to hear Doc every once in a while though, even if it's not for a Devils game.

Edited by DevilNurn

Cangelosi misses so much - it's not even funny. I forget which game it was but when we were on a 5-3 PK, and then we took a bench minor for unsportsmanlike - the cameras panned that Bernier was going to the box as the 3rd devil in. Cangelosi and Chico totally missed it, the other team scored and we were still on 5-3 PK and Chico and Cangelosi finally realized it. CMON BOOTH!

• Like 1

Cangelosi misses so much - it's not even funny. I forget which game it was but when we were on a 5-3 PK, and then we took a bench minor for unsportsmanlike - the cameras panned that Bernier was going to the box as the 3rd devil in. Cangelosi and Chico totally missed it, the other team scored and we were still on 5-3 PK and Chico and Cangelosi finally realized it. CMON BOOTH!

Indeed. Sometimes he reminds me of John Sterling in that he tends to drift off into la la land and miss some important plays. Edited by gardenstatepkwy

I watched some Albany games this year and I've watched all the Albany game highlights. The play by play guy down there is really good in my opinion. Don't know his name, but he might be one of our top talents down in Albany :).

Edited by Steadevils

Chico is a disaster at telling anyone what is happening when there's any confusion at all. Somehow he called Gionta, Zajac the other game, but it's ok, that's just Chico, he's our goofy color guy and we love him. Thing is, Doc had a beautiful ability to shut Chico up when needed. Cangi doesn't have that same rythm with Chico and sometimes he lets him ramble on a bit and where Doc would have then corrected Chico(maybe not right out, but would at least get the call right when he called it), Cangi will not even notice or at least not say anything.

The MSG production is really going downhill. The sound engineering is awful to the point where the crowd barely comes through. Cangiolsi misses a lot, Chico sounds like hes been hit in the head, even the camera man fails to follow the play on numerous occasions. Even if Doc was still here, it would still be a mess.

Edited by devlman

i have a fascination with announcers around the league and steve isnt bad. he isnt a color guy so he's gunna miss a few things here and there but enthusiasm is what counts in a play by play guy. he blew a load when kovi scored against the caps. he looks like he hasnt hit puberty but hes much better than most announcers around the league. 

How can you not miss doc, the commercials on MSG every night w/ Dc annoucing the Hentique goal last year send shivers down my spine..

Doc was 1 of a kind, does not matter who replaced him, they would never be as good. Just be glad we got him every night for as long as we did.

I commented that the on ice sound was almost jarring last night and it made the Rock sound dead.

Its really poor quality. Its like theyre broadcasting from down the street or something

One more, and this shows you how quiet the crowd comes through.

Henrique's goal vs the Rangers (where you just know the place was loud)

And can the goal horn man give it a couple seconds before blasting the horn? He had quick fingers last night on that puck that went wide. On top of that, the horn is usually going off almost instantaneously from the puck crossing the goal line. Can he give it two seconds to let the roar of the crowd be heard?

Edited by devlman

Okay I'm glad it's not just me or my TV, but the crowd sound is awful on MSG!

The Rock sounded so much louder during the NBC broadcasts.  I imagine some of that had to do with it being the playoffs, but I think the equipment the MSG+ crew uses must be just..crap.

Could it be that stupid Flyers swallow chant that kills any chance of them boosting the crowd noise?

I'm all for tradition and everything, but I'm sick to death of how much "sucking" goes on in the course of a game. It starts with the opposing team's scratches, then their starting lineup. Then there's 6 or 8 "Rangers Suck" chants, minimum. Then every time we score there's "You Suck" during the goal song. If the refs blow a call, they suck. It gets really really old, really really quick. I think if I could change one thing about the live game experience at the Rock, that's what I'd change.

• Like 1