Salary question, previous cup years.

pumpkin cutter

Taking a quick glance it goes to show that the devils "winning on a budget" was a little bit exaggerated as they seem to be in the middle of the pack most years.

that's all relative when the team across the river was spending $20 million more a season to ice bad hockey teams 

http://content.usatoday.com/sportsdata/hockey/nhl/salaries/team/2002

Edited by McMullen82

that's all relative when the team across the river was spending $20 million more a season to ice bad hockey teams

http://content.usatoday.com/sportsdata/hockey/nhl/salaries/team/2002

Compare to the team across the river then everyone has been spending less.

Comparing to the rest of the league they have been in the middle of the pack yet for years they along with the media gave the impression they were near or at the bottom.

Compare to the team across the river then everyone has been spending less.

Comparing to the rest of the league they have been in the middle of the pack yet for years they along with the media gave the impression they were near or at the bottom.

Only if you weren't actually paying attention, which in fairness, the media wasn't (and still isn't).

It's the same with the damn attendance numbers IMHO. The raw numbers suggest we are near the bottom of the league, right? But then you factor in the COST of the tickets and we are (I think) either at or near the top of the league. This means the gross revenue for the Devils is WAY higher and cost keeps marginal fans, and even some diehards, away pushing down average attendance. Then you factor in giveaways and crap like that and the average attendance figures for the Devils start to look MUCH better. And all of this in the most competitive sporting market in the world while representing a state that, let's face it, has a poor sense of itself compared to NY and Philly, and no official media market.

The Devs do amazingly well if you ask me. I can't think of another team in NHL that face this many obstacles.

It's the same with the damn attendance numbers IMHO. The raw numbers suggest we are near the bottom of the league, right? But then you factor in the COST of the tickets and we are (I think) either at or near the top of the league. This means the gross revenue for the Devils is WAY higher and cost keeps marginal fans, and even some diehards, away pushing down average attendance. Then you factor in giveaways and crap like that and the average attendance figures for the Devils start to look MUCH better. And all of this in the most competitive sporting market in the world while representing a state that, let's face it, has a poor sense of itself compared to NY and Philly, and no official media market.

The Devs do amazingly well if you ask me. I can't think of another team in NHL that face this many obstacles.

I am not 100% sure about the devils being at or near the top on terms of price of tickets. I think they are near the middle when you factor a bunch of things. The biggest being that they have something like 3000 club seats in the arena and a lot of the older arenas do not have them and when they do, they don't nearly have as much as the rock. The clubs are nearly double the price of the cost of the next most expensive seat that that completely throws the average out of whack.