Official 2013 New York Mets Thread

nmigliore

Really?  If anything I'd think they'd want the prospects up as soon as possible lol.  There's certainly enough hemming and hawing over there about Marlon Byrd in the outfield, as if there was some big prospect he was stunting.

I enjoy the board a lot but yeah the hemming and hawing over little things there is insane. 

Regarding Wheeler, I think some of the old timers who could care less about service time would agree, but I can think of at least a handful of regular posters who would flip out if you brought up the idea. With a hitter, I would agree completely, but like I said service time gets overrated with pitchers due to how often they bust or get hurt. 

I'm certainly not shedding a tear with Wheeler going to AAA though, even if it's a horrible environment. Scouts have been gaga for him but he's only made 6 starts in AAA and displayed poor control. Another 10 or so starts, which would also conveniently gain an extra year of control, can't hurt.

Edited by nmigliore

I heard some anonoymus Met basically ripped the organization in one of the newspapers for acting like a small-market not bringing Wheeler up, since he's obviously the best option at this point and he's only being demoted because the Mets want to keep the extra year on his contract.  Can't say I disagree at all.  

I agree with CR in as much as if the Mets aren't going to take 2013 seriously why should anyone blame the fans for not doing so either (if they were taking 2013 seriously Wheeler would be here)?  I agree with nmig in that I don't want to surrender before the first pitch either.  Look at the Orioles/A's last year.  Even staying in the race a 'while' has some value entertainment-wise.  I mean if the Mets are hanging around the periphery of the race I'm more likely to go to 3-4 games by July than I am if they crash and burn with a 7-22 start.

I also don't want to surrender before the first pitch in 2013, but the Met organization has made it pretty clear that they pretty much have, in that they haven't really done ANYTHING to try to improve the on-field 2013 product.  And like I've said, I'm OK with that, because, as long as the kids all make some strides this year, in 2014 the Mets could be good enough to compete for the wild card, and could have a nice window of relevance beyond (though it will take some creativity on Sandy's part, as the FA market in 2013 isn't great).  I'm 100% fine with Sandy not trying to bring in half-hearted cosmetic "upgrades", for the sake of possibly winning 80 games or so this season.  It's not that I don't care about the 2013 Mets, it's more that I know that this team has almost no chance of being competitive, as far as being in any races go.  But at least it's not a team of old players who have been together too long, with no kids ready to step in.   

As far as going to games goes, as the Mets are almost sure to be also-rans before too long into the season, I'll go to see guys like Harvey and Wheeler.  Hopefully D'Arnaud is up before too long.  The good thing is, there's definitely reasons to go to the ballpark that have nothing to do with the Mets' W-L record. 

Pretty good article here, comparing the 1983 Mets to the 2013 Mets:

http://risingapple.com/2013/03/25/the-1983-mets-and-2013-mets-a-parallel/

Pretty good article here, comparing the 1983 Mets to the 2013 Mets:

http://risingapple.com/2013/03/25/the-1983-mets-and-2013-mets-a-parallel/

nice article...but one big difference is that we don't have a big thumper for the outfield waiting in the wings (strawberry). I was hoping Santana could've been the key element for a trade for such a player

People were saying Strawberry could be the next Ted Williams at that time...his upside seemed limitless back then.  5-tool was thrown around quite a bit in regards to him. 

Santana has little trade value.  He would've needed to have shown himself to be 100% healthy AND effective to have drawn any interest, and even then, I think teams would've been leery of him breaking down in the second half, regardless of how well he might've pitched in the first half.  If he comes back and shows anything before the trade deadline, the Mets would have to pick up just about all of his remaining salary just to get a "meh" prospect.

A shame, one of those deals that was a risk because he was hitting his 30s and had some miles on the odometer when he got here, but considering what was given up, it was a risk the Mets had to take.  Just so hard to tell how guys are going to hold up as they get older.  He was a rock in his four years as a full-time starter as a Twin, and his first season here was basically a continuation of that. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Really outfield's the only position they have long-term issues at at this point.  But that's a huge vaccum considering they need to fill 'three' spots there.

Starting pitching they certainly have young guys and prospects in the wings.  Infield, they have D'Arnaud in the fold now at catcher to go along with Ike-Wright at the corners.  Tejada and Murphy aren't terrible in the infield, they're replaceable but serviceable and young themselves.  Relievers, well it'd be nice to see some younger power arms there too but relievers other than a handful of guys are always year-to-year propositions anyway.

People were saying Strawberry could be the next Ted Williams at that time...his upside seemed limitless back then.  5-tool was thrown around quite a bit in regards to him. 

Santana has little trade value.  He would've needed to have shown himself to be 100% healthy AND effective to have drawn any interest, and even then, I think teams would've been leery of him breaking down in the second half, regardless of how well he might've pitched in the first half.  If he comes back and shows anything before the trade deadline, the Mets would have to pick up just about all of his remaining salary just to get a "meh" prospect.

A shame, one of those deals that was a risk because he was hitting his 30s and had some miles on the odometer when he got here, but considering what was given up, it was a risk the Mets had to take.  Just so hard to tell how guys are going to hold up as they get older.  He was a rock in his four years as a full-time starter as a Twin, and his first season here was basically a continuation of that. 

Santana was kind of like Pedro, in that he started out great his first couple years then blew up.  Although at least last year Santana revived for long enough to give the franchise a transcendent moment it needed.  Hopefully he remains remembered for that, as opposed to the injuries over the last few years.

Edited by NJDevs4978

Santana was amazing down the stretch of 2008, I will never forget how awesome he was despite the bullpen driving everyone up a wall. He threw that great game vs the Cubs and then came back on short rest against the Marlins and pitched a complete game shutout; despite how that season ended, that game vs the Marlins had to be one of my favorites of all time, and it turned out he did all that on a torn meniscus in his left knee. 

Santana, 2008, August-on: 12 starts, 1.87 ERA.

He still managed to pitch very well in 2009-2010, even though both were injury-shortened, and I'm at least happy he gave us one last thrill with the no hitter. He'll be gone after this season but I really grew attached to him as a fan, so it's going to suck to see him go even though his career looks to be nearing an end.

Edited by nmigliore

The Mets just announced their rotation for next week:

Niese, Harvey, Gee vs San Diego

Hefner, Niese, Marcum vs Miami

Tuesday is an off-day so that lets Niese come back on normal rest for the 5th game of the year. So basically the intention sounds like Marcum on the DL until the 7th, with an extra bullpen arm carried in his place. 

That would be fantastic if he doesn't even have to miss a start.

Edited by nmigliore

I'm kinda half tempted to go next Saturday for the calendar promo and because at least it's Niese pitching...problem being I'm going to the Devils game at 7.  I actually 'could' pull off that double if I really wanted to since the Met game starts at 1, and there's a direct connection from NY Penn to Newark Penn (walking distance from the Rock).  That'd be one long-ass day though :lol:  Not like I always have the chance to double up on the Mets/Devils on a weekend day though.

If anything if I had enough time I'd rather take the train back to South Orange (where I park to take the train into NY) then just drive to Newark from there cause I hate the hour layover with the train from Newark Broad Street on the weekends.  Don't really want to drive direct to Citi or back either.

Edited by NJDevs4978

Funny you mention that, I'm actually going on Saturday. I bought the tickets back in December so I don't even remember where the seats are without looking, but I'm pretty sure it's in the promenade reserve level somewhere. Kind of wish I got Opening Day instead, but ah well.

Edited by nmigliore

I want to do an Opening Day one of these years, never have.  

I've actually thought this out the last few days (vis-a-vis the 6th).  I'll just go for it and get a LF reserved seat in 136 for just over $28 on StubHub, it seems like a great view and I'd have club area protection in case of inclimate weather. 

Fvck it, should be a fun 'doubleheader' with Mets-Marlins and Devils-Leafs :lol:

Edited by NJDevs4978

If it is disaster, I'm really gonna wonder what would have happened if Sandy didn't whine about Santana being out of shape, and Johan running to the mound to throw a bullpen and show everyone he was fine.  Odds are Santana wouldn't have stayed healthy anyway, but still.

Some roster news is starting to leak out. Havens and Gorski are going to be cut from the 40-man; 2 spots were already opened with the Elvin Ramirez trade and Hicks cut, so that would give the team 4 open spots to add Hawkins, Atchison, Byrd, and, presumably, Quintanilla. There is also Santana to the 60-Day DL, which has to happen (you'd do this before actually cutting anyone), so that opens an interesting 5th spot. I would have to guess that means Scott Rice or Aaron Laffey will grab a roster spot over Carson or the Mets are planning on bringing an outside addition.

Burke and Familia made the bullpen, but I think Familia will only be temporary until Marcum comes off the DL on the 7th (or, if Marcum can't go, they'll swap Familia for a starter on the 40-man, such as McHugh). So basically: Parnell, Lyon, Edgin, Hawkins, Atchison, Burke, Familia, and a LHP. If that LHP is Carson, that 5th opened 40-man spot will be interesting.

Edited by nmigliore

A little more roster clarity:

- Scott Rice beat out Rob Carson as the 2nd lefty reliever. He's actually a cool story, being a 31 year old minor league veteran who has never been on a big league roster. Carson was sent to AAA.

- It appears Turner will go on the DL, but Omar Quintanilla, shockingly, will go to AAA. I figured he'd grab Turner's spot, but I guess not. If Tejada goes down in a game, the Mets will have to rely on Jordany Valdespin or David Wright to play SS, at least until Turner comes back.

- Speaking of the bench, it sure sounds like it'll work out like this: Recker, Lutz, Valdespin, Baxter or Nieuwenhuis*, and Cowgill.

(*: I could see two possible outfield alignments: Duda-Kirk-Byrd vs RHP or Duda-Byrd-Baxter vs RHP, so depending on which the Mets choose, one of Baxter/Kirk will be on the bench while the other starts. Or it may not work out that way, but don't place any bets on Cowgill starting and/or Byrd seeing short-side platoon time.)

- Wright and Murphy seem fine and ready to go for Opening Day.

- The bullpen is officially: Parnell, Lyon, Edgin, Atchison, Hawkins, Rice, Burke, and Familia. Yes, 8 relievers, because Marcum will start the year on the DL. I'd expect Familia to be the one sent down by April 7th when the Mets need a 5th starter.

- The Mets technically still have one 40-man spot open with Santana headed for the 60-Day DL, but I'm not totally sure who that will be used on; I'd assume Aaron Laffey.

So all in all, these are pretty much your 25 names for Opening Day:

Catchers: John Buck, Anthony Recker.

Infielders: Ike Davis, Daniel Murphy, Ruben Tejada, David Wright, Jordany Valdespin, Zach Lutz.

Outfielders: Lucas Duda, Marlon Byrd, Mike Baxter, Collin Cowgill, Kirk Nieuwenhuis.

Starting Pitchers: Jon Niese, Matt Harvey, Dillon Gee, Jeremy Hefner.

Relief Pitchers: Bobby Parnell, Brandon Lyon, Josh Edgin, Scott Atchison, LaTroy Hawkins, Scott Rice, Greg Burke, Jeurys Familia.

Edited by nmigliore

eh, Laffey is terrible though and is the very definition of a mop up guy. We're already plenty deep in the pen

He'd fill in for Marcum, not the bullpen. I don't want him here any more than you do, but Sandy confirmed on WFAN today that he's their #1 option to go to if Marcum can't make his start.

That's pretty silly considering McHugh is a very capable fill-in and is already on the 40-man, but whatever, fortunately they didn't lose Gorski on waivers.

Hopefully Marcum is ready to go on the 7th and we don't see any Laffey.

Edited by nmigliore

I'm a little late to this, but re:  Santana...too bad, sucks that he broke down so severely, which killed the Mets' return on their investment, but he was yet another guy who wasn't figuring in the Mets' plans beyond this year.

At least it's one question answered...Santana won't pitch this year or ever again as a Met.