Official 2013 New York Mets Thread

nmigliore

I have to admit, part of me's been thinking throughout this whole series - I figured Niese, Harvey and even Gee would be solid but I shudder what happens when we start getting to #4 and #5 in the rotation more frequently?  Especially with Santana done and Marcum made of glass.  Not to mention the still questionable bullpen.  At least one of those spots should be solved later in the year with Wheeler though.

The Mets aren't a great team where they should sweep these series, but they did what they had to do against San Diego and hopefully do the same against Miami this weekend.

I agree, nice start aside, this team is going to have to fight to win 70 games.  If Wheeler comes up and tears it up, maybe a little more.  Can't really pencil them in for sweeps over anyone.  And yeah, 4 and 5 are going to be scary for a while.  Hef doesn't fool anyone. 

2 out of 3 against the Marlins would be great. 

Gee's velocity is concerning; was 87.5 on average today per PitchF/x. He averaged 90.9 last season. Not unusual for velocity to be a little down right now but 3 mph is a lot. Bares watching.

Edited by nmigliore

re: Gee...yikes.  Was that why he wasn't terribly good for most of the spring?  Yeah, definitely bares watching.

I watched Wheeler on MiLB.tv tonight. Pretty rough outing; lasted only 3.1 IP due to lots of deep counts and underwhelming control. He had no command of his breaking stuff whatsoever. The back of the Mets rotation isn't pretty but this is why I'm not crying over Wheeler getting some reps in AAA; the control really does need refinement.

Travis d'Arnaud is having a nice game; 2 doubles with 2 walks. First double was laced into left-center gap and this latest one was over the 3B bag and down the line.

Edited by nmigliore

Re:  Wheeler, it's OK...if he's not ready, he's not ready.  I'm guessing he's probably up by mid-season roughly, unless he really struggles.  Harvey's numbers were good in AAA last season, but not awesome...his limited sample in the majors so far has actually been better statistically. 

Re:  Wheeler, it's OK...if he's not ready, he's not ready.  I'm guessing he's probably up by mid-season roughly, unless he really struggles.  Harvey's numbers were good in AAA last season, but not awesome...his limited sample in the majors so far has actually been better statistically.

I think I've said this before but I caught almost every AAA start of Harvey's last year. I don't know if he was just bored or working on some things but he did NOT look this good stuff wise. The fastball is far more explosive, the slider more sharp, better command, etc. Just across the board much better looking in the Majors. I couldn't believe how he looked in his MLB debut against Arizona.

I wasn't the only one who saw this either. One of my friends from another board is a fellow MiLB.tv subscriber and came away with the same opinion. Keith Law, a mainstream prospect writer for ESPN, basically had no answer as to what changed with Harvey either:

Daniel Wexler ‏@WexlerRules 3m

@keithlaw Keith, why does Harvey look much better as a big leaguer then he did in the minors? He looks like a legit #1 (potentially) to me

keithlaw ‏@keithlaw 2m

@WexlerRules Indeed. Breaking stuff got way better. I wish I had the answer for you but I don't.

Expand

Edited by nmigliore

I heard similar sentiments yesterday on the WFAN, though I forget who said it...basically that somehow, after his call-up, Harvey's magically gotten better, and no one really has an answer for it. 

Francesca had him on for an interview yesterday...after it was over, Fatso was gushing over him repeatedly.  Maybe I'm wrong, but I think initially, weren't the Mets and others projecting him to be a #3, maybe a #2?  Mike feels like he's a future ace now. 

I don't get ahead of myself on such things...but it goes without saying that Harvey's a terrific story so far.  Nice to see a Met pitching prospect actually look he's got a shot at real success.   

Duda in the outfield is just a joke. The sooner this silly experiment ends, the better. I like his bat still, but it's just not going to compensate for his deplorable range out there. Ugh. What a terrible game.

Edited by nmigliore

It's weird that I'm still more excited for the Met part of my day-night doubleheader tomorrow than the Devil game.  Of course that's helped by the fact I haven't watched much of tonight so far.  The pitching matchup was a toss-up on paper but Hefner didn't implode, everyone else did.

Tejada has three errors in four games already?  Yeesh.

Edited by NJDevs4978

Not really digging the orange billed hats

also where the hell are we when Juan Pierre is available every offseason? This guy would be perfect as a table setter for us.

Edited by '7'

Mets bad D continues. Polanco lines to Baxter, but Baxter makes a soft throw that Ike can't handle. Then Stanton hits a liner that Wright fields...but he can't pick up the baseball, so the inning continues

The Mets just cannot field a baseball to save their life right now. Tejada can't throw or field it, Ike can't field it. Wright can't make his signature barehanded pickup

I know it's early but you can't drop 2 in a row to Florida at ANY POINT. Which is exactly what they will do.

Well that was a nice game to go to...Mets win, the giveaway calendar was nice and we got a Subway card for a free sub with it, and the sun was right over me in left field so I didn't even need a jacket for much of the game. And I unexpectedly ran into two of my friends on the train ride up to NY.

And I made the connection I needed to so now I can get to my car in South Orange and drive to the Devils game from there with almost an hour to spare. Hopefully the Devils cooperate and this turns out to be a really rare day ;)

Five good starting pitching performances in a row.  Don't know how long that will last, but it's still great to see.  Those 4 and 5 spots will be unnerving in time.

John Buck...doing a nice job keeping the seat warm for D'Arnaud.  Like with the pitching, don't know how long it last, but always fun to see a guy like that get off to such a surprising start.

Well that was a nice game to go to...Mets win, the giveaway calendar was nice and we got a Subway card for a free sub with it, and the sun was right over me in left field so I didn't even need a jacket for much of the game. And I unexpectedly ran into two of my friends on the train ride up to NY.

Yeah the giveaway was awesome with the Subway card (not a fan of them, but hey, free 6" sub works for me) and coupons. The actual calendar is pretty sweet. I was in RF so the sun didn't get to me until like the 3rd or so inning; before that I was freezing my ass off. :lol: I'm sure there was absolutely ZERO chance you saw me, but I had a 1986 Doc Gooden jersey on with the traditional blue cap.

Fun game and glad they won.

7: I'm not crazy for the BP/postgame hats with Mr. Met but I actually really like the one they wear in games. Had to pick one up once I saw it on sale weeks ago.

Edited by nmigliore

Yeah the giveaway was awesome with the Subway card (not a fan of them, but hey, free 6" sub works for me) and coupons. The actual calendar is pretty sweet. I was in RF so the sun didn't get to me until like the 3rd or so inning; before that I was freezing my ass off. :lol: I'm sure there was absolutely ZERO chance you saw me, but I had a 1986 Doc Gooden jersey on with the traditional blue cap.

Fun game and glad they won.

7: I'm not crazy for the BP/postgame hats with Mr. Met but I actually really like the one they wear in games. Had to pick one up once I saw it on sale weeks ago.

Nah, I was gonna PM you or something but I knew I'd be getting there probably last minute (just after 12:30 to be exact) with barely enough time to eat something and walk around a little before the game started, and they tend to be pretty strict over there about checking tickets during the game.  I wound up trying a pastrami dog which wasn't bad.  

Wound up wearing my Wright jersey for like the first time ever haha, usually I just content myself with wearing my white Mets t-shirt with a artistic picture of Shea on the front of it.  I was wearing my red Devil t-shirt on underneath which my friend on the train noticed.  I got so much sun out I even got a little sunburn if you can believe that :blink:  What the hell is wrong with me that I can get sunburn on a 50 and windy day? :lol:  

If Cowgill's HR had gone just a little higher I might have had a chance for it but where I was I couldn't actually see it go out, I was just going by the crowd reaction.  At least the Mets gave me a win, probably would have been better off going home and taking a nap after that.  But I'd do the Met-Devil doubleheader again, when the Devils aren't playing like ass :P

lol at Redmond playing the infield in with two runners in scoring position up one.  That's something you maybe do in August when you have nothing to lose and say **** it, not something you do in April.

It was ugly but at least they managed to do what they needed to do on this homestand, 4-2.

Edited by NJDevs4978