Official 2013 New York Mets Thread

nmigliore

How is it driving to games anyway? I've never wanted to bother cause it seems like such a pain in the butt getting in and out (I tried driving once way back before GPS and got lost) Then again making my train connection postgame is no day at the beach lol.

btw I'm going too...section 521. Got a $19 ticket on StubHub. Didn't need the free food of the power pack cause I usually have time to eat before going.

Edited by NJDevs4978

How is it driving to games anyway? I've never wanted to bother cause it seems like such a pain in the butt getting in and out (I tried driving once way back before GPS and got lost) Then again making my train connection postgame is no day at the beach lol.

btw I'm going too...section 521. Got a $19 ticket on StubHub.

It's fine, I don't think I've ever used any other form of transportation to get to Shea/Citi. I live in Bergen County and the Bridge is like 10 minutes away, so it's not a big hassle for me. Drive is generally a breeze for day games, more traffic on the way at night of course. I usually bail an inning early to beat the crowd so I've never had any issues getting out. Shea Stadium was always more difficult getting out of compared to Citi.

Section 337 for me.

Edited by nmigliore

Just got back. First and foremost - awesome to meet you Hasan! Glad to finally meet someone after talking to you guys on a near-everyday basis on this board for ~7 years.

The crowd was pretty awesome tonight. Some "Har-vey!" chants near my section and then later on a much more resounding, "Harvey's better!" chant.

Ike and Duda really went off tonight; hopefully this gets Ike going.

Not sure what I can say about Harvey, the dude is a monster. The bases loaded jam in the 7th was just some beautiful pitching with the Suzuki strikeout, Bernadina popout, and then Span groundout. He was consistently 95+ on the Citi Field gun, even when going over 100 pitches.

Edit: Per PFX, Harvey AVERAGED just over 97 mph on his four-seam fastball tonight (55 of them). That's just ridiculous, holy sh!t.

Very glad I went to this game, it really was like a special event, and again, great to meet you Hasan! Doubt my luck will last but we're 2-0 when attending this year. :P

Edited by nmigliore

Yep, was glad to meet you too nmig...about time at least a couple of us met at a game heh. The meetup was part of the reason that was literally the most fun I've ever had at Citi, windy/cold weather and all. For a Mets/Devils fan, hearing 'Harvey's Better!' was so freaking priceless.

And you know it's your night when Valdespin is making diving catches in CF and Ike hits two bombs.

Edited by NJDevs4978

Pretty cool that you guys met, nmig and NJDevs...would love to do the same one of these days for sure...preferably at a Harvey start of course!

Harvey's starts:  4-0, 0.93 ERA, 32 K, 0.66 WHIP

Everyone else:  2-6, 5.68 ERA, 26 K, 1.68 WHIP

The "Everyone else" line gets even uglier if you take Niese's starts out (2-1, 3.80 ERA, 13 K, 1.48 WHIP). 

What sucks about this is there's a minimal chance that the Mets can take all of the euphoric good feelings built up from one of Harvey's starts and turn into much more than one fun night.  At least Niese and Harvey start back-to-back, which gives the Mets a shot at building momentum...Minnesota and Colorado clearly weren't kind to Niese, with the crappy weather and all, but I expect him to improve a bit over what he's shown in 2013 to date.  I just hope Gee can do the same...it's one thing to have to overcome two guys who give you little chance to win...three has a way of disheartening a team that clearly wants to start silencing their critics.

Awful start for Wheeler tonight: 6 walks and 4 ER in 4.1 IP. Still has whiffed 21 with only 1 homerun allowed on the year, but the control is a major problem right now.

He's off to a pretty bad start overall:  4.91 ERA, 18.1 IP (in four starts), 20 H, 12 BB, 21 K.  High pitch counts and lots o' base runners.  Suffice it to say he's not coming up anytime soon.   

By comparison, Collin McHugh has a 0.50 ERA through 3 starts (18 IP, 15 H, 4 BB, 15 K).  Kind of too bad it doesn't mean much...he's got AAAA-pitcher written all over him...a guy capable of some nice minor-league stretches (made to look better by the nice K totals down there), but simply not capable of sustained major-league success.   

Pretty cool that you guys met, nmig and NJDevs...would love to do the same one of these days for sure...preferably at a Harvey start of course!

Harvey's starts:  4-0, 0.93 ERA, 32 K, 0.66 WHIP

Everyone else:  2-6, 5.68 ERA, 26 K, 1.68 WHIP

The "Everyone else" line gets even uglier if you take Niese's starts out (2-1, 3.80 ERA, 13 K, 1.48 WHIP). 

What sucks about this is there's a minimal chance that the Mets can take all of the euphoric good feelings built up from one of Harvey's starts and turn into much more than one fun night.  At least Niese and Harvey start back-to-back, which gives the Mets a shot at building momentum...Minnesota and Colorado clearly weren't kind to Niese, with the crappy weather and all, but I expect him to improve a bit over what he's shown in 2013 to date.  I just hope Gee can do the same...it's one thing to have to overcome two guys who give you little chance to win...three has a way of disheartening a team that clearly wants to start silencing their critics.

lol it's not an accident I only went to Niese-Harvey starts so far, although the Niese start I also didn't mind getting the giveaway calendar either.  

I did want to at least see Harvey once this year come hell or high water.  Glad we at least have 'something' to hang our hat on now with him as far as the present/future goes since Wheeler's a bit wild for the bigs at this point and TDA is hurt (surprise, surprise).

I actually got lucky with the Niese start since I bought tickets for that game back in December when they had an early single game ticket sale for April and May. I usually plan games well in advanced so yesterday was a bit different with buying last minute tickets but the matchup was too irresistible. Between Harvey and the atmosphere that was definitely one of my favorite games I've attended at Citi Field.

CR: Yeah, Gee is the one to be concerned about of that 3-5 group. The results have been ugly but I can live with that over 3 starts due to small sample size - it's the very down velocity that is the big red flag.

Edited by nmigliore

We need to drill Laroche, because all he does is kill the Mets. What a piece of sh!t Laffey is. 2 out nobody on. Walk to Werth, double to Harper. Then on a 2 strike pitch HR by Laroche. just DFA this other piece of human garbage

Also: Laffey needs to go, ASAP. This is already turning into a Miguel Batista-like obsession.

If it were up to me, Laffey would be cut, Hefner to AAA, McHugh taking Hefner's spot. Mets won't need a 5th starter until next Saturday, which is when Marcum could conceivably be ready if his next simulated game goes well.

On the positive side, at least Duda keeps getting on base. I still don't think he's going to hit or defend well enough to be an acceptable regular in the outfield, but hey, if things keep going sour for Ike, at least he represents a legit alternative at 1B (that's a huge IF of course, I'm in no way saying I think Ike will keep looking so bad at the plate).

Edited by nmigliore

Agree, what do you have to lose with McHugh at this point?  Laffey has NO point being on the Mets, and Hefner's not part of the plan.  Even if the results aren't much prettier with McHugh, it can't get much WORSE than Hef and Laf.

Sadly, I'm thinking the Mets are going to have to start considering that Gee may not be a rotation fixture...yeah, it's only three starts, anyone can have three bad ones in a row, but if he can't regain his velocity...

Anyway, still very early, but clearly it hasn't gone as rosy for the "rotation of the future" as we'd all like overall:

Harvey:  what can be said?  He's been off the charts brilliant.

Niese:  by the numbers, roughly what could be expected (on the low side).  Should improve...got dealt a crap hand weather-wise in his last two.

Wheeler:  clearly not ready for the bigs yet, now a little behind schedule. 

Gee:  can't be considered much more than a question mark until the velocity comes back up

It'll be nice if Marcum can help out a little, soon. 

Some nice news today:

1) Laffey was DFA'd, Carson coming up for him. Glad they didn't let this one last long.

2) Mets won't need Laffey's spot until next Saturday, which is when Marcum should be ready.

It doesn't appear they are ready to swap Hefner-for-McHugh yet, which is disappointing, but at least Marcum *should* be back by the time the Mets need their 5th starter and Laffey is now gone (granted, Carson probably isn't going to help the bullpen out much more than Laffey did in the meantime).

Next up on the agenda should be dumping Kirk for Lutz or Satin. That would give you a legit right-handed bat off the bench and a guy to plug in at 1B vs lefties for Ike (regardless of how good or bad Ike looks at a given time, he's always a major liability vs LHP). There really is no need for 6 outfielders on this roster and Kirk isn't really good.

Edited by nmigliore

Good thing, re: Laffey.  We all accept that 2013 is a punt/transition season, but leaving a no-talent like Laffey in to lose every fifth day or so is just wrong. 

Mets take 2/3 from the Nats, nice. Parnell with a clean 9th with 2 strikeouts.

Wild moment in this game: 8th inning with Scott Rice struggling to find the plate, 2 on with 0 out, and Werth is SWINGING 3-0 and grounds into a double play. Rice then fans Harper. Inning over. I think Rice owes Werth a steak dinner for that one.

Gee lost his command in the 6th when he was tiring, and his velocity still isn't nearly where it was last year (averaged ~89 on his fastball today), but he did well overall. 12 swinging strikes is nice.

Also made it out today, have to say Citi is by far better than NYS in design and comfort for the fans, the choices of food and drink are so diverse that you literally don't know where to begin. Personally I prefer going on warm summer night, better baseball ambiance, but today was a great afternoon.

though I have to admit, they short change you a bit on vodka with the mixed drinks ;-) though the Caesars club maxes a damn good bloody mary for brunch games like this. And the hot pastrami sandwiches are very good.

and what a moonshot on the HR by Buck. He's going to start slowing down...but man that thing was clubbed 450 feet!

He really is slowing down, if you think about it (from a pure hitting-the-ball standpoint), and will continue to...he's not going to hit .290 (where is right now).  But the HR and RBI numbers are insane...at the very least, they've helped make up for Davis' slow start.  And like I've pointed out, even with a slow up, Buck should have attractive power numbers to a potential contender.  22 RBI in 17 GP?!  That's Manny Ramirez-type stuff.   

Mets take 2/3 from the Nats, nice. Parnell with a clean 9th with 2 strikeouts.

Wild moment in this game: 8th inning with Scott Rice struggling to find the plate, 2 on with 0 out, and Werth is SWINGING 3-0 and grounds into a double play. Rice then fans Harper. Inning over. I think Rice owes Werth a steak dinner for that one.

Gee lost his command in the 6th when he was tiring, and his velocity still isn't nearly where it was last year (averaged ~89 on his fastball today), but he did well overall. 12 swinging strikes is nice.

A lot of pitches for Gee, but yeah, at least it was a pretty good start.  Two good and two bad for Gee so far.  The funny thing is, he doesn't have to do that much more than that if he's going to be a #5.  You'd like to see him put up QSs or something close to that in say, 3 out of every 5 starts...that would put him on par or make him better than a lot of 5s.  It'd be nice to see him eat some more innings too, but right now I'll settle for more decent-to-good starts. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976