Official 2013 New York Mets Thread

nmigliore

Still can't get enough of this. Awesome to see someone post it, I was curious what it sounded like on TV.

It's HUGE to have a guy like this one on the team, a guy who creates a buzz, a guy who gets people out of their seats and excited to see him do his thing.  The Mets don't have anyone else who has this effect on people, and that includes David Wright. 

Speaking of Wright, terrific BB-to-K ratio to start the season (15-to-10), but he started off last season the same way, before the Ks started piling up in the second half.  Still, 7 BB and 0 K in his last 6 GP...that's terrific.   

Kirk was sent down for Juan Lagares. I still dislike the idea of having 6 outfielders since Ike needs a better platoon partner than Justin Turner but Lagares is a little more useful than Kirk and bats right-handed, so, this is okay. The Mets are facing 3 LHP starters in this upcoming series with the Dodgers so it's well-timed.

Edit: And of course, in today's lineup, there is Justin Turner playing 1B. So predictable. This is why it would've been better to send Kirk down for an Ike platoon mate (Satin, Lutz) instead of another outfielder. Duda could play 1B with Lagares in LF, but TC basically admitted he's not touching Duda, so this is what you get.

Edited by nmigliore

In class right now so not watching but apparently Niese got hit in the leg and just left the game. Ughhhhhhhh.

I saw it...it didn't look that bad...he did limp off the field, but it wasn't an exaggerated limp.  I'm not really sure how it's going to turn out...knowing the Mets' luck, he'll miss a few months.

Arrrrrgh...David Wright shows why nobody's afraid of him in the big spots yet again.

Ike friggin' Davis is getting more maddening by the day.

Feel for Harvey tonight...still, 14 hits allowed in 35 IP...damn.

They did tie it....but man what is Murphy doing swinging on a 2-0 WAAAY inside like that? Also they just cut to commercial but I hope Wright didn't jam anything trying to steal 2nd (got thrown out but not a bad idea)

Edited by '7'

I do think the Wright clutch meme gets a bit overblown, he didn't have a big 2006 playoffs and had that terrible AB against the Cubs with a guy on third nobody out down the stretch in 2008 but he's also had 'some' big hits too, including two extra-base hits against Rivera in tie games, one that did win a game in 2006 and another in 2008 that should have won a game if it wasn't for Castillo's popup of doom :P

Edited by NJDevs4978

I do think the Wright clutch meme gets a bit overblown, he didn't have a big 2006 playoffs and had that terrible AB against the Cubs with a guy on third nobody out down the stretch in 2008 but he's also had 'some' big hits too, including two extra-base hits against Rivera in tie games, one that did win a game in 2006 and another in 2008 that should have won a game if it wasn't for Castillo's popup of doom :P

The Cubs AB still burns me. He was 3-0 in the count as well.

For the Mets or for anyone?  It should have been 14 years (Ventura in the playoffs lol) :P

Mets. Just seemed way longer than I expected (Ventura aside).

Btw - Buck totally did that "harsh" pie in the face on purpose. I don't think he's a big JV1 fan. I remember Valdespin ignoring Buck's high-five attempt in the Opener and that actually pissed me off a bit. He's LONG had a reputation for being a bit of an ego-maniac and rubbing some teammates the wrong way. Some have literally HATED him, check out this quote from Erik Turgeon, former Met minor leaguer.

Erik Turgeon ‏@ErikTurgeon 18m

Valdespin with a walk off home run. If you need me I will be in the bathroom throwing up! I have Zero respect for that piece of sh!t

Edited by nmigliore

When he was in the minors he was suspended and benched for a bunch of different stuff, for not hustling on plays to actually STEALING from teammates. And if anyone follows him on Twitter or Instagram, it doesn't take much to see he's very big on himself (huge ego).

I really do wish him the best and hope he's grown up, but he's the kind of guy, even if he turns into a decent player, that I wouldn't be surprised bounces around a bunch of orgs because of his off the field reputation.

Edited by nmigliore