Official 2013 New York Mets Thread

nmigliore

Once we get swept by Atlanta to make it 10 losses in a row, that'll be it for Terry. The team is as dead as they were during that massive 2nd half swoon. He can't survive this

Hell, being swept by the lousy Marlins is grounds enough for dismissal...but yeah could definitely see the ax falling sooner rather than later. There's no obvious replacement though.

Hell, being swept by the lousy Marlins is grounds enough for dismissal...but yeah could definitely see the ax falling sooner rather than later. There's no obvious replacement though.

I'm not a big believer in Wally Backman either. Bob Geren is the bench coach with a mediocre managerial record...it'll probably fall to him in an interim role

would it make much of a difference? Who knows, most likely no but it's clearly not working out with Collins

They were 28-47 to end the season last year and counting todays loss 10-16. This team is not great but there is absolutely no reason they should be 38-62 in their last 100 games.  46-54, that's around what they should be. But they have more talent than this. This is a disgrace

Edited by '7'

I'm not a big believer in Wally Backman either. Bob Geren is the bench coach with a mediocre managerial record...it'll probably fall to him in an interim role

Backman's divisive among the fanbase. If Woody Johnson owned the Mets, he'd already be the manager though lol. God knows they do actually need something besides Harvey and magic beans to sell the public though.

It's one thing for me and other fans to accept and expect irrelevance in 2013, but it's another for the organization to do that so blatantly.  There still has to be accountability, and right now it doesn't feel like ANYONE is being held accountable for ANYTHING.  Even if the next manager isn't going to make much difference in the long run, at least the Mets would be showing that losing 62 out of 100 games isn't acceptable. 

Backman's divisive among the fanbase. If Woody Johnson owned the Mets, he'd already be the manager though lol. God knows they do actually need something besides Harvey and magic beans to sell the public though.

They had one opportunity with Bourn and blew it. Otherwise the offseason was rife with players out of their reach (Hamilton, Josh) or crap similar to what they ended up picking up anyway (Cowgill) Unless they plan on trading prospects like Nimmo and Syndergaard, the offense is just not going to get better

It's one thing for me and other fans to accept and expect irrelevance in 2013, but it's another for the organization to do that so blatantly.  There still has to be accountability, and right now it doesn't feel like ANYONE is being held accountable for ANYTHING.  Even if the next manager isn't going to make much difference in the long run, at least the Mets would be showing that losing 62 out of 100 games isn't acceptable. 

It's going to hit them when they see 6k crowds in mid May at Citi. because this kind of bad was generally not anticipated. 

When are we going to get a competent major league outfielder in here? Lagares? Baxter? Cowgill....I mean this is a joke. I'm not asking for Juan Gonzalez circa 1998 here, just a steady .275 16-20 hr 80 rbi guy

Edited by '7'

It's going to hit them when they see 6k crowds in mid May at Citi. because this kind of bad was generally not anticipated. 

When are we going to get a competent major league outfielder in here? Lagares? Baxter? Cowgill....I mean this is a joke.

You know Sandy and Co are looking at 2014 and beyond.  2013 barely even exists in their eyes. 

The problem is that attitude is giving Mets' fans only one reason to come to the ballpark, and that reason is only going to be on the field one out of every five days.  There's no one else that's going to compel Mets fans to buy tickets to Citi.  I think everyone involved hoped the Mets would at least be somewhat in the hunt until the ASB, but even with the Mets taking the lead for the moment in this game, they've already pretty much made themselves an afterthought.   

You know Sandy and Co are looking at 2014 and beyond.  2013 barely even exists in their eyes. 

The problem is that attitude is giving Mets' fans only one reason to come to the ballpark, and that reason is only going to be on the field one out of every five days.  There's no one else that's going to compel Mets fans to buy tickets to Citi.  I think everyone involved hoped the Mets would at least be somewhat in the hunt until the ASB, but even with the Mets taking the lead for the moment in this game, they've already pretty much made themselves an afterthought.   

and notice how it's crept into the Mets marketing too. They advertise "HARVEYS NEXT START" during everybody else's outings. It's like "yea we know you probably switched here by accident...but hey don't forget to tune in 3 days from now when you might actually be interested!"

Pedro was a brief phenomenon as well. But they never advertised Pedro's next start, probably because they had babyfaced Wright and Reyes at the time to sell as well.

Whoa? Gee hits and then is pulled anyway? Weird. Bench isn't short.

not watching...but could he have tweaked something on the swing? 

Harvey is the only buzz surrounding the Mets right now.  Wheeler will have that too when he first comes up, just because of the expectations, but he will have to sustain it to keep it.  Harvey pretty much had to build his buzz from scratch, because he wasn't as heralded as Wheeler.

In a perfect world, the Mets could build up Wright, but he's old news, and even though he usually puts up pretty good numbers at the least, he's remembered as much for his failures as his successes, and in non-sabermetric minds is seen as an iffy clutch/big spot player.  At any rate, Wright's not selling any extra tickets, unless he has an off-the-charts kind of season, and even then, it's probably not going to make a huge difference.   

27 RBI in 24 GP for John Buck...that's friggin' Manny Ramirez-type production.  The funny thing is, even though he's clearly not the future at catcher, how could he be sat for D'Arnaud right now (if D'Arnaud was on the team and healthy of course)? 

Even when he slows down, the guy is going put up career numbers.  I'm sure he's never enjoyed a 24-game stretch this productive at any other time in his career. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

If we fvcking blow this game. After being up 7-4 in the 7th...Nick  fvcking Green. Greg Dobbs? Rugiano? I mean this is a AAA team looking like the most clutch team in the world against us. 

27 RBI in 24 GP for John Buck...that's friggin' Manny Ramirez-type production.  The funny thing is, even though he's clearly not the future at catcher, how could he be sat for D'Arnaud right now (if D'Arnaud was on the team and healthy of course)? 

Even when he slows down, the guy is going put up career numbers.  I'm sure he's never enjoyed a 24-game stretch this productive at any other time in his career. 

He won't be sat for D'Arnaud, by the time TDA is healthy they'll probably be able to flip Buck for something at the deadline, although Sandy doesn't seem to like to do 'B' deals (i.e. not dealing Hairston or a couple other guys last year).  But yeah if D'Arnaud was healthy it'd be an interesting quandry in the meantime.

Edited by NJDevs4978

He won't be sat for D'Arnaud, by the time TDA is healthy they'll probably be able to flip Buck for something at the deadline, although Sandy doesn't seem to like to do 'B' deals (i.e. not dealing Hairston or a couple other guys last year).  But yeah if D'Arnaud was healthy it'd be an interesting quandry in the meantime.

I was saying if D'Arnaud was healthy and playing well enough in AAA to warrant a call-up.  Once D'Arnaud got hurt, that question was rendered moot.   

Not sure how much the Mets could get back for Buck...a mid-tier prospect and maybe a low-level "maybe" type.  Could get more interesting if a contender loses a catcher to injury. 

I was saying if D'Arnaud was healthy and playing well enough in AAA to warrant a call-up.  Once D'Arnaud got hurt, that question was rendered moot.   

Not sure how much the Mets could get back for Buck...a mid-tier prospect and maybe a low-level "maybe" type.  Could get more interesting if a contender loses a catcher to injury. 

Yeah I missed that part the first time.  

Oh well at least the losing streak is finally over for the moment, a REAL quick 1-2-3 for Parnell.

Let's see how Parnell does here. This is a game we CANNOT LOSE

7 pitches, 6 strikes.  Not much fvcking around there.

I didn't think Parnell had the cojones to be a major league closer...but so far so good

he got a blown save in Colorado because of the Tejada error. That was through no fault of his at all.

And d'Arnaud wouldn't be brought up to be the backup either. If he were hypothetically healthy it would definitely have to wait until Buck fell off a cliff, like Rod Barajas did in 2010 after his hot start, or was traded. So in a way, while it sucks to see him hurt, his injury isn't that big of a deal, at least not in terms of delaying his time to the Majors. It's not like he lacks AAA experience either, as he's put up a .967 OPS in 352 PA there. He could be MLB ready as soon as he's healthy, which could coincidence with a Buck trade given the timeframe.