Official 2013 New York Mets Thread

nmigliore

According to Alderson, Collins job is safe for 2013

http://metsblog.com/metsblog/sandy-alderson-says-terry-collins-job-is-safe/

I'm fine with that...he seems like a manager that's "just there" rather than a real difference maker...but I've seen far worse. And to be fair to Terry he's never had a full deck to work with. Would be interested to see how he does with a team that has even slightly above average talent, he's never had that with the mets.

Lol at Uggla facing familia. He was like a frightened child looking at those curves.

This is THE BEST most improbable win I've ever seen at Turner Field. WE NEVER go into Atlanta and win games like this.

This is a good Braves team. But with no Cox or Jones, not the same bastards that hexed us for years.

TC deserves HUGE props in this game. Made an excellent strategy call going to Parnell when the game was on the line and then another brilliant move in the 10th: Valdespin drew a 2-out walk and he sent Parnell to bat. Goal was to have Valdespin steal 2nd on the first pitch; if he made it, you pinch-hit for Parnell, worst case is you're down 0-1 with one of your best contact hitters at the plate (Baxter). If Valdespin is thrown out, you have your best reliever/closer pitching the bottom half of the inning.

Edited by nmigliore

DAVID WRIGHT COMES THROUGH! TIE GAME!

CAPTAIN CLUTCH off the best relief pitcher in baseball!

He came through this time, but I won't be thinking of him as "clutch" anytime soon.

He's off to a terrific start though...that can't be denied.  And he's doing it under the pressure of pretty big money to boot. 

They actually have a shot to take two out of three in this house of horrors...that's a major feat.

At least my Niese post looks well timed, heh. Horrible defense behind him today aside, I'm getting a little more concerned with each passing start. The strikeout and walk rates are very bad. I don't mean bad by Niese standards either, this is like sub-replacement level bad.

Edited by nmigliore

Suffice it to say that both Niese and Gee warrant concern at this point.  All that needs to be said.

Scary to think that Jeremy Hefner has actually been the Mets' second-best starting pitcher this season. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

On the bright side, Wheeler was good again: 6 IP, 3 hits, 0 ER, 1 BB, 4 K. Probably could have started the 7th since he threw just 90 pitches, but not bad to end on a high note. That's two consecutive solid starts.

Edited by nmigliore

On the bright side, Wheeler was good again: 6 IP, 3 hits, 0 ER, 1 BB, 4 K. Probably could have started the 7th since he threw just 90 pitches, but not bad to end on a high note. That's two consecutive solid starts.

Last two outings for Zach:  12.2 IP, 8 H, 1 ER, 2 BB, 12 K.  At the rate the Mets' rotation is going right now (how many good starts can Hefner be expected to provide?), if Wheeler has another good start or two, maybe the Mets entertain the idea of bringing him up...they can always send him back down if he implodes. 

At any rate, if the Mets end up having a need for a starting pitcher from within, it's very slim pickins.  Collin McHugh is 2-2 with a 3.57 ERA, which doesn't look bad at a quick glance, but he's given up 13 ER in his last 17.1 IP (along with 27 hits)...he had given up just one ER in his first 18 IP for the 51s this season.  Of course, the PCL is a screwy place for pitchers, but McHugh isn't a guy the Mets are looking to be a fixture in their rotation anyway. 

true. but to be fair the Mets haven't been as offensively inept as most others (me) thought. seems like they go cold at the worst possible times, but they have hit far more home runs than anybody expected this season.

Regardless of how this game ends up. Holy sh!t, Harvey is an ACE. we've got something really special. And in future years when we bolster this offense. This game is a win.

Edited by '7'

true. but to be fair the Mets haven't been as offensively inept as most others (me) thought. seems like they go cold at the worst possible times, but they have hit far more home runs than anybody expected this season.

Regardless of how this game ends up. Holy sh!t, Harvey is an ACE. we've got something really special. And in future years when we bolster this offense. This game is a win.

Well Mets win anyway. I meant 9 inning win :-)

What an AMAZING performance by Harvey. DOMINANCE.

Too bad the lineup has decided to go cold once again. Awesome. Not even 1 freakin' run.

His numbers are obscene...49.1 IP, 22 H, 7 R, 12 BB, 58 K, 1.28 ERA, 0.69 WHIP, .133 BA.  4 hits or less allowed in 6 out of his 7 starts. 

And then there's the Met "offense".  They're now batting .232 as a team, with a .307 OB%.  They have exactly THREE hitters batting over .250:  David Wright, Daniel Murphy, and Justin Turner (41 ABs).  And sadly, Murph is still clearly a guy who really needs to hit well over .300 to be an everyday player on a good team, because he still doesn't get on base nearly enough, and though he works his tail off, seems to be blatantly average at just about everything. 

It's kind of too bad Sandy didn't give a sh!t about improving the 2013 team on any level, as it's probably going to cost Harvey some wins.  It's easy to say oh well, Harvey will have several great years in front of him, but who knows these days...all it takes is one injury or loss of velocity...so many guys have two or three great years, then lose just enough of their stuff to become average.  This year for Harvey could wind up being his career year.  I just hope Wheeler pitches well enough to get a June call-up (and hopefully then pitch well enough to stick around)...I watch the Mets when I can, but the only time I feel compelled to watch them play is when Harvey is pitching.  Wheeler could give me another reason.

I know the Mets were clearly hoping Harvey would pitch at least as well as he did last season, but if not for him being off-the-charts brilliant this season, this team would be a disaster.  The Mets are 6-1 when Harvey starts, and 7-15 when anyone else does.  Scary to think what will happen when Hefner starts to pitch like Hefner again (but then again, the Mets are 0-6 when he starts, so it's not like they can do any worse in Hefner starts). 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Harvey allowed to miss the game tonight to watch the rangers at the garden... What a joke of an organization

He's already bigger than the team lol.  But that's not really a big deal to me considering he'd be a glorified cheerleader tonight anyway.

He's already bigger than the team lol.  But that's not really a big deal to me considering he'd be a glorified cheerleader tonight anyway.

Same here, and the guy has been a phenomenal performer to boot...seems like a fair reward, if one wants to brand it as such.  I haven't seen one thing out of Harvey that would lead me to believe that he's some kind of entitled diva.  I just don't see it as that big of a deal.  The Mets have bigger fish to fry...like getting about 80% of the roster to perform anywhere NEAR the level of what Harvey's given them.

Harvey is a HUGE Rangers fan, that's the only downside to him :lol:. It's really not a big deal either way though, re: not being at tonight's game. Other than maybe being the first pitcher who you'd want to bat off the bench in a long extra-innings game, there's no purpose to him being there.

Harvey has been carrying this team anyway, he deserves a "day off" like that.

Edited by nmigliore