Official 2013 New York Mets Thread

nmigliore

Interesting blurb on R.A. Dickey, and why he's struggling for the Blue Jays:

http://espn.go.com/blog/statsinfo/post/_/id/65390/r-a-no-longer-really-awesome

At any rate, trading him was a no-brainer, even if he was pitching well for the Jays (or recovers from this slow start and turns in a solid year)...there was little reason to think he was going to repeat 2012 (not saying he would've stunk this season as a Met, but last year definitely had a lightning-in-a-bottle feel to it), and the Mets wouldn't have contended even IF he had come close to duplicating 2012.  It was too risky to keep him. 

Harvey is from New London Connecticut...wouldn't imagine it's heavy Rags country over there. Oh well. Heard he's a Patriots fan too :-P

I doubt they play tonight anyway.

Edited by '7'

I could be wrong but I think Harvey only started to like hockey when he came to NY. He's been to a bunch of Rangers games this year and he tweets about them non-stop during games, so he must be a legit fan. He's also great friends with Lundqvist.

I doubt they play tonight anyway.

Wouldn't totally mind missing a Peavy/Hefner game for our sake but man I'm so tired of postponed games. I'm too lazy to go look but I believe Gary said last night the Mets have played the least amount of games of all MLB teams this year thanks to rainouts/snowouts. Edited by nmigliore

Apparently the Harvey/Rangers game thing was just a joke by Jay Horwitz on Twitter. Jay is really annoying.

Harvey actually spent part of his midday monitoring angry and misguided tweets directed at him. PR man Jay Horwitz had tweeted that Harvey would be excused from Wednesday’s Mets game to watch his beloved New York Rangers play at Madison Square Garden. It was a joke that some took literally.

“He’s getting a little aggressive with the tweeting,” Harvey said.

Edited by nmigliore

Just amazing that anyone would get that upset about it even if it was true...geez, if anyone deserves any kind of a pass on anything, it's Harvey. 

Just amazing that anyone would get that upset about it even if it was true...geez, if anyone deserves any kind of a pass on anything, it's Harvey.

Yeah it's pretty ridiculous. I actually thought it was true when I first saw it -- it certainly seemed believable compared to past Jay jokes (tripleheader in Colorado!) -- not that it meant anything to me either way. But yeah, people actually going out of their way and bitching to Harvey is pretty pathetic.

DP26: I doubt many of them are even true hockey fans but regardless, I really don't care who they like. It doesn't bother me.

Jay is funny and goofy but as the PR man, he needs to relax a bit with the Twitter stuff. He's basically joking in 80% of his tweets but some of them are actually believable and then you'll have your select group of morons who will get their panties in a twist about it, like how this Harvey thing played out.

Edited by nmigliore

I haven't heard any of this kind of talk, but don't you think that if the Mets fall out of it (which we basically expected would happen coming in), they'll pull Harvey from the rotation at some point, à la Strasburg and the Nats?  I wouldn't be crazy about that, but it would be understandable.

I haven't heard any of this kind of talk, but don't you think that if the Mets fall out of it (which we basically expected would happen coming in), they'll pull Harvey from the rotation at some point, à la Strasburg and the Nats? I wouldn't be crazy about that, but it would be understandable.

Depends on innings. He'll throw at least 200 health-willing, though, so it wouldn't be all that similar to Strasburg.

How much longer does Ike get. He is a dead spot in the lineup with numbers virtually identical to last season

It took Ike until middle June last season to finally get that average creeping up over the .160something level. Are we going to wait as long this year?

He's not even hitting home runs anymore

How much longer does Ike get. He is a dead spot in the lineup with numbers virtually identical to last season

It took Ike until middle June last season to finally get that average creeping up over the .160something level. Are we going to wait as long this year?

He's not even hitting home runs anymore

Thing is it's not like we have anyone to replace him.  Okay Duda can take his spot at first, but he's already playing anyway.  Who's the next clown standing in the outfield then?

It is getting to the point where Ike needs to be Trachseled though, there's starting slow and there's being in utter hibernation.  Sadly our core ain't looking as strong as it was coming into the year with Ike's continued struggles and Niese's moderate dropoff.

Edited by NJDevs4978

It's time for Alderson to go out and get a respectable outfielder for this club, because he sure as hell isn't coming from within. Doesn't even have to be Carlos Gonzalez calibre...David Dejesus would do. But you can't trot out an outfield where 2 of 3 can't hit and the one that can can't field.

Aoki from the Brewers could also be an option. But i'm not certain they'd part with him

Edited by '7'

Thing is it's not like we have anyone to replace him.  Okay Duda can take his spot at first, but he's already playing anyway.  Who's the next clown standing in the outfield then?

It is getting to the point where Ike needs to be Trachseled though, there's starting slow and there's being in utter hibernation.  Sadly our core ain't looking as strong as it was coming into the year with Ike's continued struggles and Niese's moderate dropoff.

true. The outfield cupboard is so barren right now. And I'm sick of the 3rd rate Cowgill/Torres/Fred Lewis/Willie Harris etc gong show that's been going on for years as well. Let's get a real player in here.

true. The outfield cupboard is so barren right now. And I'm sick of the 3rd rate Cowgill/Torres/Fred Lewis/Willie Harris etc gong show that's been going on for years as well. Let's get a real player in here.

Sandy doesn't give a damn about the 2013 Mets.  It's fine, I know the pasture should start greening in 2014 and beyond, but Sandy's going to make it very easy for Met fans to not give a damn about 2013 in short order.  If not for Harvey, a lot of fans would already be indifferent.  Citi is going to be barren this summer, save for Harvey starts.  Sandy better hope Wheeler can come up and give the fans another reason to want to come out. 

It's great that Duda is patient and gets on base, but sometimes you gotta HIT the damn ball too.  HRs are great, but enough with the Marco Solo act...hit some when there's guys on base!  Duda to me is another one of those "bad team" starters...if you're a true contender, he's probably not an everyday player.  But bad teams need players too, and he's got enough talent to be a major-leaguer. 

I can't even look at Ike Davis anymore.  It doesn't get more disappointing than him. 

NJDevs4978, Niese's dropoff is more than moderate, unfortunately.  He's giving up a lot of hits, but last season was really the only one where he didn't do that, so it's fair to say last year might have been flukey in that regard.  But the walks are way up and strikeouts are way down.  His K-to-BB ratio was terrific heading into this season (470-to-172).  This year it's 20-to-19.  It's OK if he's not fit to be the #2 guy, because I don't think the Mets really thought of him as a #2 anyway.  But clearly they're hoping he can be a #3 or #4, and his current numbers suggest a shaky #4 or even a #5...not good.

I don't criticize the rebuilding process as much as some do on a Mets' board I visit, in fact I feel like I'm always defending him if anything, but Sandy definitely still deserves some flack for basically doing nothing with this outfield. 2013 was never intended to be an attempt at contention but that's besides the point - you can't just expect to fill every hole in one offseason, especially when next year's free agent crop is riddled with guys who will probably bad investments.

Speaking of next year's class, or would-be-class in this case, it's too bad Milwaukee locked up Carlos Gomez, who is finally emerging into a star and is in his prime. It would have been awesome to bring him back home.

Edited by nmigliore

I usually defend the rebuilding process too, but this team is almost impossible to watch, especially with no one really hitting.  What's the 2014 off-season FA class look like?  Maybe 2014 is the year the Mets flirt with 80-85 wins and respectability, then 2015 is when they try to get into 90+ win territory.