Official 2013 New York Mets Thread

nmigliore

There's a part of me that's at the "Dese guys aren't that friggin' bad" stage (courtesy of Major League, when the Indians are starting to play a little better).  14-17...not good, but not Houston bad.  I know these guys can go into the tank at any time...if Harvey slumps, lookout...but for now, record-wise at least, they're not THAT bad. 

So many should-be-pretty-good SP's on this team have really underwhelmed; Gee, Niese, Marcum (granted SSS). Bleh.

Bats have been predictably cold again; not counting tonight, Mets are hitting .198/.272/.321 since April 21st.

Edited by nmigliore

So dishearterning to see Niese fall off a cliff like this. With ever passing start I regret not trading him for an OF bat in the offseason. And I was pretty adament about keeping him

The entire season is pretty much Harvey and Wheeler AAA starts until he gets here. Nothing else matters.

So dishearterning to see Niese fall off a cliff like this. With ever passing start I regret not trading him for an OF bat in the offseason. And I was pretty adament about keeping him

The entire season is pretty much Harvey and Wheeler AAA starts until he gets here. Nothing else matters.

Starting to look like Niese's 2012 season might have been a career year for him.  I've got to think he can't be THIS bad over the course of a full season, but his numbers are disturbing across the board.

I guess there's two ways to look at this:  if one believes that Niese and Gee are considerably better than what they've shown and have better years ahead of them, better they struggle during a punt year.  But man, if we've already seen their best...well, suffice it to say Sandy wasn't planning for those guys to pitch themselves out of the Mets' plans, especially Niese, who was supposed to be a set-in-stone #3 or #4. 

But let's face it, if the Mets are REALLY serious about contending sooner rather than later, this team has a LOT of holes to fill.  Enough with Daniel Murphy...you want to suck it up this year with him, fine, but like I've said, if the guy isn't going to hit .325 or better, he's just not very useful.  Duda doesn't hit enough...great that he gets on base, but he doesn't hit the ball enough.  I don't know WTF happened to Ike Davis, but the guy is now a .219 hitter since the beginning of last season, and he looks just as god-awful now as he did thru June of last year.  Having bad Aprils is one thing, but lousy Aprils AND Mays are kind of hard to take.  Even more aggravating is that Ike seems to be given an endless amount of rope to hang himself with.  OK, last season I understood the Mets wanting to stick with him at the major-league level, but this time I think they have to start thinking about sending him down.   

Wheeler's numbers in his last three starts are terrific:  20 IP, 14 H, 3 ER, 3 BB, 19 K, 1.35 ERA.  One more good start or two and maybe the Mets dare to entertain the idea of getting him out of the PCL. 

I really, really, REALLY feel for Matt Harvey.  His numbers continue to just be ridiculous.  In his first 115.2 big-league innings, he's allowed just 69 hits.  For his career, he's allowed less than four hits per start on average.  In 18 career starts, here is his ER breakdown:

5 ER:  once

3 ER:  twice

2 ER:  four times

1 ER:  eight times

0 ER:  three times

So in 15 out of his major-league 18 starts, he's allowed 2 ER or less.  And because Sandy apparently couldn't be bothered to find SOMETHING resembling major-league bats to sprinkle into the Mets' lineup, Harvey has a career 7-5 record...he could've easily had seven wins in this season ALONE.  He's pitched to a 1.98 ERA in his last four starts, not one friggin' win.  And as we saw with Dwight Gooden, there's only so good a guy can be...this could very well wind up being Harvey's best year in the majors, and he will have to waste it on a team that can't hit a fvcking baseball to save their friggin' lives, in a stadium that will be as lively as a cemetary, because teams that can't score runs and don't do a great job in not allowing them don't tend to draw much in the way of rabid fans. 

Just sucks...at 14-17, there was at least mild hope for respectability.  Now at 14-20, they're dead men walking, and this "offense" is going to be brutual to watch in the months to come.  Hope June will bring us Wheeler... 

Even the 14-20 isn't as discouraging as the fact so many guys you figured would be part of the solution (Ike, Niese, maybe Duda and Gee) have all fallen down an elevator shaft.  They can't even sell 2014 with a straight face anymore, Harvey/Wheeler or no Harvey/Wheeler, there's just too many question marks and holes on this team to fill to realistically expect to contend in the near future.

I think the clock on Wheeler's service time ends mid-June or something like that.  Might as well keep him down until then, not like bringing him up is going to do anything other than up attendance for a couple games anyway.

Edited by NJDevs4978

Even the 14-20 isn't as discouraging as the fact so many guys you figured would be part of the solution (Ike, Niese, maybe Duda and Gee) have all fallen down an elevator shaft.  They can't even sell 2014 with a straight face anymore, Harvey/Wheeler or no Harvey/Wheeler, there's just too many question marks and holes on this team to fill to realistically expect to contend in the near future.

I think the clock on Wheeler's service time ends mid-June or something like that.  Might as well keep him down until then, not like bringing him up is going to do anything other than up attendance for a couple games anyway.

Yeah, it looks like Sandy will have to be uber-aggressive to make the Mets a WC contender in 2014...which is risky, as to do so, he'll likely to have sign or take on potentially bad contracts to make that a possibility, and we've seen how that can go if it doesn't work out. 

Though it's aggravating that Sandy didn't try to bring a couple of decent outfield bats in, I can't blame him for thinking Ike and Murph would at least be good with the potential for very good, that Niese would perform somewhere around last season's level, and that Gee could build off what he did last season before he got hurt.  Fine in giving Duda another shot too, but I think Duda is showing his potential will always outweigh his performance...unfortunately he's just young enough, hits just enough home runs and gets on base just enough that it's easy to have high hopes for him. 

I just hope Wheeler can keep this up...he's probably ready to at least get a look right now, but like you say, there's bigger considerations other than his performance. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Don't forget D'Arnaud. He did break his foot a few weeks ago but we should see him sometime this season as well. At least he projects to being an above average hitting catcher. 

True...funny thing is that the Mets have actually gotten better offense than they ever could've expected from Buck, though he's clearly turning back into John Buck...he's now 2-for-his-last-30 and is down to a .270 OB%.   

As bad as the Met offense is, what's fair to point out is that they're actually not that far off the major-league averages.  Amazing what happens when players aren't 'roiding up:

Met team batting:  .231  Majors:  .251

Met OB%:  .304  Majors:  .317

Met OB%+SLG:  .710  Majors:  .720

Met HR:  38  Majors:  36

Met RS:  151  Majors:  157 

And the Met HR and RS are through 34 GP...the majors' average is based on 37 GP. 

Look, the offense has been pretty putrid, no question, and the team is hard to watch.  But there's teams that are actually WORSE.  The Mets actually score a lot of runs for where they sit, though a good bit of that was done early on:

http://espn.go.com/mlb/stats/team/_/stat/batting/sort/avg/order/true

But suffice it to say offense is down:  there's 18 pitching staffs with team ERAs under 4.00, and currenty 23 starting pitchers with ERAs of 2.98 or better (6 of those are at 1.75 or better). 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Mets demoted Andrew Brown and signed Rick Ankiel.

At this point I think the front office is just trying to lose. Seriously, look at this: http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=all&stats=bat&lg=all&qual=0&type=8&season=2013&month=0&season1=2012&ind=0&team=0&rost=0&age=0&filter=&players=1142,6400

We basically just signed the older, worse version of Kirk Nieuwenhuis... and we're going to play him in CF nearly everyday (platoon with Lagares per TC!).

Edited by nmigliore

The same Ankiel that the frigging Houston Astros let go?  Good god, this is like the real-life version of Major League.

Maybe Sandy is signing Rick Ankiel, former pitcher. 

One of my employees listens to Fatso, and he was shredding the Mets today, about how listless and unwatchable they are.  I thought hard, but this is the first season I can remember the Mets so obviously not trying to do ANYTHING for their team at the major league level...it's one thing to have a plan, and it's one I'm on board with, but it just feels like almost everyone on the Mets is accepting that they're going to lose 90-100 games.  They've had bad seasons as a result of moves not working out, or had seasons where they clearly weren't going to be any good going in, but I kind of remember them trying to bring in a couple of guys who might not be terribly good, but at least would not be so passive about the losing, and would give their all and hopefully lead a little by example, and help to start to turn the culture around.  There's just such a "hell with 2013" feeling going on.       

Agreed and that's why it's hard to care about the team when they obviously don't give two ***** (upstairs anyway).  I'm glad I went to those two games early, I honestly don't think I'm going to another one the rest of the season at this rate.  It's practically impossible to watch at home let alone spend a whole day going to and from the park.