Official 2013 New York Mets Thread

nmigliore

I think they've tried though with the pen moreso than the outfield. Frank Francisco is hurt again, he's not great but would be an improvement. I thought Lyon and Atchinson were quite solid....but it is what it is. Mejia is also on the shelf long term again.

But the lack of starting pitching also comes back to bite the pen as guys get overworked and thrown in spots where they just can't succeed. Trickle down effect. The horrid performances by Niese, Gee, and Marcum have effected the pen as well.

It's starting to look to me like 2014 will be a 2005 type year. Bring in enough talent to win in the 80's....the next year you bring in the big piece. In 2006 it was Delgado. 2015 maybe we'll have a shot at the division.

But this team just sprang too many leaks. 1b, 2b is sort of uncertain, SS is still iffy, every outfield spot. And this is assuming D'arnaud can be abover average at C.

Edited by '7'

The most disheartening thing about this year isn't so much Sandy's carelessness as it is the bad performances of beyond-2013-guys like Niese, Gee, Ike, etc.

Those are the killers...Sandy obviously knows there are holes to fill, and clearly he conceded 2013 with the knowledge that there was no way to fill them all in one offseason.  The problem is he didn't think he'd be entering 2014 worrying that he might have even MORE holes to fill.  Niese and Gee were probably sure things in Sandy's eyes (especially Niese), with Hefner and Marcum as stop-gaps until Wheeler was ready to take one of their spots.  Hefner has actually been as good as could possibly be expected for him...with the exception of one bad start on 4/10, he's been anywhere from meh to good, but has yet to be disastrous.  4 QS in 7 starts...he's kept the Mets in games, but the Mets have scored just 23 runs in his starts.  He could easily have a .500 record or even a little better with some decent run support. 

Sandy came on the WFAN with Fatso yesterday (around 5:40ish).  I know GMs are rarely good interviews, and they tend to keep everything as tight to the vest as possible, and almost all of them will repeat the "If there's a move out there to improve our team that makes sense for us, we'll explore it, blah blah blah..." mantra.  It's not like they're going to give us an ultra-detailed outline of their long-term plan, complete with potential player targets, for obvious reasons (tampering, for one).  But Sandy sounded like he had just woken up from a nap, and came off as befuddled and almost like "yeah, we're losing, but I'm not really going to do anything about it right now, so oh well."  I'll admit, I don't know what I was hoping for from Sandy.  Maybe a little more life?  A little more fire?  Just not sounding so defeated, even though we all knew what the expectations were? 

Sandy has sounded defeated in almost every interview. I remember he sounded so deflated sometime in spring training when Francesa was grilling him about the outfield and Sandy basically admitted it wasn't any good.

At least he's honest, but it's sort of funny that back in October or November he openly JOKED about his outfield and did zilch to improve it since then; joke is on him now. 

We'll see what this offseason brings. That is 100% his time to make his mark with improving the MLB team. If he fails yet again, he'll be on the hot seat very quickly (in fact, he'll probably bolt either way once Selig retires so he can take his job). This inactivity and passive approach to improving the MLB team can only last so long and it's even beginning to frustrate a big Sandy supporter like me.

Edited by nmigliore

Sandy has sounded defeated in almost every interview. I remember he sounded so deflated sometime in spring training when Francesa was grilling him about the outfield and Sandy basically admitted it wasn't any good.

At least he's honest, but it's sort of funny that back in October or November he openly JOKED about his outfield and did zilch to improve it since then; joke is on him now. 

We'll see what this offseason brings. That is 100% his time to make his mark with improving the MLB team. If he fails yet again, he'll be on the hot seat very quickly (in fact, he'll probably bolt either way once Selig retires so he can take his job). This inactivity and passive approach to improving the MLB team can only last so long and it's even beginning to frustrate a big Sandy supporter like me.

As you know, I've been on board with Sandy's plan, and knew this was not going to be a fun season, though Harvey has given us SOMETHING to cheer about.  So far, consistently all we've really had:  Harvey (who's now getting screwed out of wins), Wright (he's finding a way to put up good numbers), and Buck (early, fun feel-good story that is clearly coming to its expected end).  From Sept 21 last season to this season, Parnell has been quietly putting up some sensational numbers:  25.1 IP, 10 H, 2 ER, 3 BB, 20 K.  Even if he ultimately is not a closer-type, at the very least he should be a useful guy in the bullpen who can throw hard...I envision him as a set-up guy who could get 10 or so saves a season, if all goes well. The big key is that he's FINALLY stopped giving up hits...that was his biggest problem throughout his professional career to date. 

But yeah, I think we'd like to see Sandy be SOMEWHAT proactive, and Rick Ankiel doesn't exactly qualify.  Hell, if Sandy had gotten, say, a poor-man's Mike Cameron-type stopgap or two for the outfield, I think Met fans would've been fine with that...we weren't looking for superstars, just something competent and flat-out not laughable for the outfield.  It's starting to feel like the tolerance of losing is spreading throughout the organization (though I think it's bothering Collins for a number of reasons, and I think Harvey and Wright are aggravated by it as well).  It feels like some players are feeling a bit too safe these days.     

Valdespin just being Valdespin: http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/baseballinsider/2013/05/new-details-of-weekend-drama-involving-ny-mets-jordany-valdespin-yankees-gra

TC also basically chewed him out in public today. This guy isn't long for this organization (not that it matters since he's not particularly good). 

The Mets have an identity issue.  It begins with their owners.  I hate to agree with Francessa but he's completely right when it comes to the Mets.  They are pathetic.  I've loved this team since before I can remember.  I have more vivid memories of 1988 than yesterday.  But, the Wilpons have murdered the Met fan in me.  I can't even watch them any more.  I know Matt Harvery is awesome (Thanks, Omar) but there is absolutely nothing else to get excited about on this team.  Not even David Wright.  He's a good player but every time I see his face his epitomizes Wilpon's Mets for me.  I just wish they would sell the team so they could start over for real.  There is no light in sight for the NYM :(

The Mets have an identity issue.  It begins with their owners.  I hate to agree with Francessa but he's completely right when it comes to the Mets.  They are pathetic.  I've loved this team since before I can remember.  I have more vivid memories of 1988 than yesterday.  But, the Wilpons have murdered the Met fan in me.  I can't even watch them any more.  I know Matt Harvery is awesome (Thanks, Omar) but there is absolutely nothing else to get excited about on this team.  Not even David Wright.  He's a good player but every time I see his face his epitomizes Wilpon's Mets for me.  I just wish they would sell the team so they could start over for real.  There is no light in sight for the NYM :(

Nothing new here...the Wilpons do feel like a curse, and I don't think there is a Met fan alive who would be heartbroken if they ever decided to sell the team. We all know their story: they come off as clueless and stubborn at times, arrogant at others, and amateur constantly. They've done just about everything possible to alienate their fanbase.

Yes, this current team, save for Harvey, is unwatchable. You can get away with a moribund offense or a shaky pitching staff during a rebuild, but not both. Wright is a good player (clearly not great), but not one that is going to draw fans to the ballpark during these low points.

And now Zack Wheeler is feeling pain in his collarbone. He's going to miss at least one start while he gets examined. God knows what this can be.

Collins is taking some heat for his comments about the fans, but I don't think he said anything that was so horrible. I can see why he's just frustrated in general...he knows he's probably getting canned before the 2014 season, and his GM did absolutely nothing to help his cause...not that I'm saying he's some managerial genius.

All I know is that Sandy better have himself one hell of an offseason this year, because I can see Captain Passive already punting 2014 and pleading for yet more patience from Met fans. Sad thing is he may not have much choice unless he makes some fleece-type deals...the FA crop isn't great, and outside of D'Arnaud and Wheeler (both of whom may not even be healthy), it doesn't seem like immediate help is on the way from within.

And I know he's not going to be a long-term solution by any stretch, but why not bring up Collin McHugh at this point? At the very least, it might send a message to guys like Gee that your spot in the rotation isn't a given, and that if you're not getting it done, other guys will get a look (even if it's a McHugh-type, who really isn't a threat).

McHugh is actually up -- came up yesterday for Atchison who went to the DL. Sadly I doubt he gets a shot at the rotation anytime soon; as long as Wheeler is healthy (not a given right now, granted) he'll get first dibs on an open rotation spot. 

re: 2014 - it's almost impossible for Sandy to be passive again this offseason; the payroll would be incredibly low - just $25M is on the books in guaranteed money right now, which is for Wright and Niese. They do have a bunch of arb-eligible guys who will bump that up, but even after accounting for that, it'll still be quite low with just minimal/typical 2011-2013 Sandy moves. It really puts Sandy between a rock and a hard place; the angst from fans and payroll will pressure him into doing something, yet the free agent market looks pretty meh. This is once again a problem that is at least partly due to being so passive these last few years and sticking to just short-term pickups instead of trying to find future MLB pieces. He's done a nice job improving the farm system but the MLB team hasn't even acquired one good, future piece since this front office has been in place. He's going to have to work some kind of magic.

Edited by nmigliore

McHugh is actually up -- came up yesterday for Atchison who went to the DL. Sadly I doubt he gets a shot at the rotation anytime soon; as long as Wheeler is healthy (not a given right now, granted) he'll get first dibs on an open rotation spot. 

re: 2014 - it's almost impossible for Sandy to be passive again this offseason; the payroll would be incredibly low - just $25M is on the books in guaranteed money right now, which is for Wright and Niese. They do have a bunch of arb-eligible guys who will bump that up, but even after accounting for that, it'll still be quite low with just minimal/typical 2011-2013 Sandy moves. It really puts Sandy between a rock and a hard place; the angst from fans and payroll will pressure him into doing something, yet the free agent market looks pretty meh. This is once again a problem that is at least partly due to being so passive these last few years and sticking to just short-term pickups instead of trying to find future MLB pieces. He's done a nice job improving the farm system but the MLB team hasn't even acquired one good, future piece since this front office has been in place. He's going to have to work some kind of magic.

I'm guessing he may have to trade some of the minor-league pieces (except for Wheeler and D'Arnaud) for players under contract, if he wants to improve the MLB team. The last thing you want to do is get into a meh free agent market, where you overpay, Kevin Appier-style, for whatever decent players are available.

I know what you are saying, re: Sandy not being able to get away with preaching patience, but I am preparing myself for something along the lines of "There weren't any free agents that made sense, and we couldn't find a good fit through the trade market, etc" as the Mets head into 2014. Of course, if I take the Omar "IF" approach, IF Harvey has a terrific season, IF Wheeler has a solid first full year, IF Niese can have a 2012-type season, IF D'Arnaud can have a rookie-of-the-year type campaign, IF Ike Davis can stop sucking, and IF a few other things fall into place, maybe next year's team, even without a splashy move, could win between 80-85 games, and even be in the WC hunt for a while. But we know how Omar's "IF" teams tended to perform, once he took that approach.

I have a theory that the Wheeler clavicle "injury" is really nothing much  to worry about and the Mets are only taking these steps as a cover to bide their time for an increasingly demanding fan base that want to see him in the rotation. "Hey we can't bring him up, he's hurt!"

very tinfoil hat but whatever B )

I have a theory that the Wheeler clavicle "injury" is really nothing much  to worry about and the Mets are only taking these steps as a cover to bide their time for an increasingly demanding fan base that want to see him in the rotation. "Hey we can't bring him up, he's hurt!"

very tinfoil hat but whatever B )

Seems doubtful. He's missing a start when he appears to have found his groove, which is hardly ideal, and he's flying all the way to NY to have it checked out. It may be nothing, but I don't the trust the Mets one bit in matters like this...too much buffoonery has happened previously to think this is some kind of clever ploy.

Re: McHugh...the guy has been starting in PCL AAA with some success...2.74 ERA in 8 starts, very good K-to-BB ratio (36-to-9). Gives up a lot of hits, but hard not to in the PCL. I'm not saying he'll succeed, but Niese and Gee have been god-awful, Hefner has overachieved overall to date, and who knows what Marcum will do. I'd just like to see McHugh get a look, even if it's brief, and even if it's unlikely he'll take the opportunity and run with it. What exactly does this team have to lose?

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

At this point, fire Collins. And that's an indictment on the players, not him...Fatso interviewed him yesterday, and Collins came off pretty well, for the most part, under the circumstances...a hell of a lot better than Stammerin' Sandy did. It's not Collins' fault that Ike has been a complete bust this season, that Niese has been awful, etc.

But Collins is clearly a lame duck, so what's the difference if they fire him now or at the end of the year (or sometime in between)? The season from a competitive standpoint is already over. Who knows, maybe the team comes to life a little, and wins 5 out of 7 or something for the new guy. Not saying the team will go on an extended tear, but might as well do SOMETHING. If Collins figured into the Mets' plans beyond 2013, I'd say suck it up and deal with the present, but since he doesn't, seems like the only card the Mets have to play to show that Sandy is actually alive.

0-for-2, 2 more Ks for StrIke Out Davis.  How much does someone have to suck before he's sat down around here? 

Davis is just a disgrace right now

Solid outing for Niese but Terry went too long with him. He should've been out after the Carpenter double. I prob wouldn't have even started the 8th with him at that pitch count

Edited by '7'