Official 2013 New York Mets Thread

nmigliore

Davis is just a disgrace right now

Solid outing for Niese but Terry went too long with him. He should've been out after the Carpenter double. I prob wouldn't have even started the 8th with him at that pitch count

I can't take Davis anymore.  Maybe he has to strike out EVERY at-bat before he's sat down.  This clown is now 0-for-22 with 1 BB and 10 K in his last six games.  How much more of this sh!t do we have to watch?!

One thing about Murph...when he does get hot, he can get REALLY hot.  10 for his last 16...just like that, his batting average is up to .297 on the season.  It was .258 just four days ago.  And just like that, his slash line is in his line with his career:  he's .297/.335/.439 this season, .291/.337/.426 for his career.  On a really good team, you could hide him a little, and he could be useful.  Unfortunately, on a team like this they need to him to do more than he's probably capable of...the unconscious streaks are nice, but he's still slow, not a great fielder, doesn't hit with power and doesn't walk enough.  Hope the Mets don't think of him as more than the average-to-slightly above average player he is. 

Niese is under contract for a while...hope this is the start of better things.  The low K totals continue to be worrisome.    

More strikeouts would be nice but solid outing for Niese nonetheless.

Maybe Ike can lend Niese some of his. 

Looks like the Mets are on their way to making sure Harvey gets screwed out of yet another win in a good performance.  Ike actually got a hit today though.  Guess that's something.

Good for you Matt!  Sucks that you have to now drive in runs to have a shot at a win, but job well done!  You're only 4 points behind Ike fvcking Davis now in BA!

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

TC pushing Harvey as usual. 103 pitches and he'll start the 8th. Gotta love a lame duck manager!

This worries me a bit too, admittedly.  He's averaging 105 pitches per start.  And yeah, what does Collins care...he won't be around to see his career...I don't think Collins is abusing him though. 

Scott Rice has more walks than strikeouts. I don't care what the matchup is, he shouldn't be pitching in a tight spot like that.

Dumb decision to send the runner plus Byrd's throw saved his ass.

Burke coming in now. Argh. I'd just go to Parnell.

Edited by nmigliore

Mets now 0-9 after Harvey starts. 

Hef's allowed 11 ERs in his last three starts (16 IP).  Mets are now 0-8 in Hefner starts, despite him turning in four QS. I feel for him...he's really been pretty good...could easily have 3-4 wins with any degree of luck.  He deserves a LOT better than 0-5.  

Ike's OB+SLG now down to .498.  This can't go on forever.  Send the guy down to AAA already.  Might as well play Duda at first, even if he's not going to do that much more at the plate.

Yesterday's loss aside, really cool to see The 7 Line Army in attendance. They took up a noticeable section in CF, see the sea of orange: BKkIoYbCAAAGLlg.jpg

BKlr8syCcAAMDsd.jpg

They were even acknowledged on the Cubs' broadcast! http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=27223313&c_id=nym

Other pictures and media can be found on their official Twitter: https://twitter.com/The7Line

You could also hear a bunch of "Lets Go Mets!" chants all game. Too bad the team couldn't win this one.

Darren Meenan, who runs these events and sells custom Met-shirts (no affiliation to the team), is awesome.

Edited by nmigliore

Murph can do that sometimes.  He just doesn't do that enough, to offset his other weaknesses.

Parnell deserves kudos...11 hits allowed in his last 28.2 IP dating back to last season.  And only 3 BB in that same time frame.  That is a hell of a turnaround for a guy who used to put on a lot of guys on base (his career WHIP is 1.41, and that's WITH this hot streak). 

Can't help but wonder how this came about.  I've pointed out that even in the minors, this guy gave up hits at just about every level of the minors as well.  It seems like he's stopped doing that, almost out of nowhere...which makes me wonder how long this will last. 

Hope David Wright can keep up what he's done...he's had a nice year so far.  He's on pace for a very good season. 

Yeah, very meh start by Gee.  Benefitted greatly from that bad call on the would-be triple.  Can't say I have much confidence in him being a mainstay in this rotation. 

Nice to see them take 2/3.

re: Parnell - obviously he isn't going to remain this good all year but I've been a big booster of his for awhile, so I'm really not surprised he's making a good closer. Getting a lot of groundballs, throwing strikes, and being able to whiff 1/5 of your batters faced is a great combo for a pitcher. 

Edited by nmigliore

Nice to see them take 2/3.

re: Parnell - obviously he isn't going to remain this good all year but I've been a big booster of his for awhile, so I'm really not surprised he's making a good closer. Getting a lot of groundballs, throwing strikes, and being able to whiff 1/5 of your batters faced is a great combo for a pitcher. 

I'm not going to jump on the "Parnell's making a good closer" bandwagon yet.  This 28.1 IP stretch is unlike any stretch he's ever had.  The guy gave up a lot of baserunners for the majority of his career, both on hits AND walks.  I know this next stat is misleading, as a lot of these "blown" saves didn't come in typical closer save situations, but Parnell has as many blown saves for his career as he does saves.  He's also performing with absolutely no pressure on him at this point...his team is already out of the race.  Let me see him turn in one full solid season as the closer.

All this being said, I'm rooting hard for him...it would be awesome to have a young homegrown closer who could hold the job down for a few years.  And it's always a nice story when a guy with a iffy resume puts it all together and enjoys some prosperity.    

Mets are hitting .230 as a team.  They have just six players batting .250 or better.  One of them is Shawn Marcum (.250 in 8 AB).  Another is Rick Ankiel (as a Met, anyway...20 AB).

Mets have scored 174 R in 41 G...an average of 4.24 RPG.  Sounds pretty meh, but it's actually much worse when you break it down:

First 16 games:  97 RS (6.06 RPG)

Since (25 games):  77 RS (3.08 RPG).  Less than 4 RPG in today's game is bad enough.  Anything around 3 RPG is MLB is pathetic...that's expansion-team-type stuff.  Those first 16 GP are really making the Met offense not look so bad overall (they're actually right around middle-of-the-pack in RPG for the season), but the last 25 GP have been brutal offensively.  They're probably hitting in the .210s somewhere as a team in that time frame.   

But take a look at the Marlins...117 RS in 44 GP.  2.66 RPG.  And 37 of those runs came in four games, so the other 80 runs came in 40 games.  Two runs on average.  That's almost impossible to do...that team must be murder on the eyes. 

Mets are middle-of-the-pack in HRs too, for whatever that's worth.  Not sure what the breakdown is, as far as the first 16 GP/last 25 GP goes.  I'm guessing almost all of the team hitting numbers are pretty bad over the last 25 GP.  Wright's gotta be the only one with good numbers over that stretch. 

Lucas Doody does nothing of course.

Way to go Byrd! 

Wow, Ike strikes out again.  By all means, keep sending him out there.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Looks like Dickey's finding it for the Jays...2-0 in his last three starts, 20 IP, 15 H, 6 ER, 20 K...only real down number is his BB (11 of them).  But glad to see him doing well. 

Ike down to .152.  2 more Ks.  Enough is enough.

Lucas Doody does nothing of course.

Way to go Byrd! 

Wow, Ike strikes out again.  By all means, keep sending him out there.

He just can't help himself with the breaking ball. I've never seen somebody so out of it. Plus the boneheaded obstruction play (and it was the right call since Votto had to change his course with Ike practically still standing on the bag)

This team was just flat out stupid yesterday. Not just Ankiel swinging 3-0 with a man on 1st, but Murphy had a play where he foolishly threw off balance to 2nd to try to get a force instead of the easier play to 1st to get Votto. 

Plus you had some bad umpiring. That Phillips HBP was off the knob of his bat as Darling stated. Hawkins got screwed over a few times as well

Votto and Phillips are good players but it seems like they especially own the Mets. They're like the Chipper Joneses that we don't see as often.

Edited by '7'

It's funny...Ike is so off-the-charts bad now I think he's reaching the "he struggling so much I feel bad for booing him" point.  As aggravated as I get by watching fail after fail, I think his organization is not doing right by him at this point, at all.  You've tried everything, and he's not getting better, he's getting WORSE.  So why the fvck do you keep sending him out there day after day after friggin' day?!  Only four Mets have played more games than Davis...I swear, it's like a corporation giving multiple promotions to a guy who is screwing up left and right and is clearly not doing his job, and hoping that the promotions will somehow get him to magically be a competent employee and then some.  The GM saw to it that this season wasn't going to mean anything anyway, so for the love of God, let Duda play some first (even if he's nothing to crow about, at least he might hit a monstrous solo shot on occasion, or draw a walk), and send Ike to AAA and see if he can get some kind of confidence back.  As bad as Ike's been, he still has to figure heavily into the Mets' plans in the years to come.  Stop fvcking around with him, realize that he's now 1-for-33 in his last nine games (with 1 BB and 13 K) and showing NO signs of getting it going, and get his ass to Las Vegas.  The Mets have embarrassed him enough.