Official 2013 New York Mets Thread

nmigliore

This is why people chuckle when David Wright is seen as the leader of the Mets.  Good player, yes.  Nothing more.   

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

I think Terry just killed whatever sympathy he had from Met fans, who thought he wasn't dealt a great hand, was in a tough situation, etc.  No wonder he couldn't get a job anywhere else in the majors since '99.  And was clearly a lame duck here since Day 1.

Good for Bobby.  That was a tough call.

Rumor is Captain Passive isn't a Backman supporter. 

The one encouraging thing I've heard about Backman is that he's among the better bullpen managers out there.

I'm not a huge fan...character issues and such with him

But Geren would be more of the same imho

Edited by '7'

Even on a day when Harvey FINALLY got a fvcking WIN, it still feels like him team found a way to screw him.  It's usually his teammates not scoring any damned runs for him, and now it's his manager throwing him out for an inning when his day should've clearly been done.

Could've had a 1.90 ERA, but now it sits at 2.16 due to his manager's stupidity.

re:  Backman...I think he'd probably already have the job by now, if Sandy had any confidence in him.  I don't know what more Terry has to do to lose his job...I think there's enough in the file to justify canning him, especially after today.   

Yeah I've been projecting Backman as the next manager but there's been plenty of smoke that this front office isn't a fan, so maybe not. I think Geren would be the interim manager if they fired TC.

Edited by nmigliore

I don't even think it matters anymore whether or not Geren will make any great difference.  I just think it's getting the amateurs out of here.  What Terry did with Harvey today was so friggin' amateur, on all levels...just a complete joke...he did everything to manage a win away for Harvey and his team.  Collins is gone at the end of the season anyway no matter what, so what is the friggin' difference? 

Which is exactly why Collins needs to be put out of his misery. He's using up Harvey like a guy who isn't worried about tomorrow because there likely isn't a tomorrow for him if the Mets keep losing.

I can't back him managing the team for so much as another game after today, but unfortunately I think Passive will let him continue to keep the job for a while.  At the very least, I hope Sandy wakes up long enough to let Collins know what he did today was as clownish as it gets, and inexcusable, re: Harvey. 

Finally, O Captain My Captain does something in this series. 

But of course the runners get stranded.

Zack, welcome to the Mets, where they never score for you.

As for Zack himself, not far from what you'd expect...we've seen his good and his bad.  Suffice it to say throwing half your pitches for balls is going to catch up with you before long.  But at least it looks like he's going to get through this first outing unscathed, without the walks hurting him...it's pretty impressive that he pitched into the 6th inning, all things considered.   

Kind of reminds me of a young Al Leiter a little...he once had 10 BB and 10 K in a game. 

55 strikes and 47 balls for Wheeler.  Don't want to rain on his parade, or make too much out of one start, but considering that control hasn't been his strong suit to date, his short-term will probably have some rough spots. 

Recker!  For love of God, get this guy a win!

WTF?!  WHY IS WHEELER STILL IN THIS GAME?!  ARE YOU fvckING KIDDING ME TERRY?!

Heaven forbid Wheeler had broken a finger trying to bunt.  Fire Collins now.

Here we go again with Sandy's marvelous bullpen.

Sandy is lucky the Giants were in go-for-it mode, and that he inherited a player that had considerable value that he could something back for in Beltran.

Because other than Beltran for Wheeler and RA Dickey (another player Sandy inherited) for D'Arnaud and Snydergaard (I know there were other players, like Buck), what the hell has he really done, other than to beg Met fans to be endlessly patient? 

Damn, 6 runs!  10 in two games!  Usually takes them five games or so to do that these days...