Official 2013 New York Mets Thread

nmigliore

Mets have traded Collin McHugh for Eric Young Jr.

Cowgill has been DFA'd

Not bad, McHugh is essentially worthless. Young can hit a little bit...not great but won't embarrass himself at the plate either. Hit .316 in limited duty last year with the Rockies. Blazing speed. Can play all 3 outfield positions as well as 2b.

Mets have traded Collin McHugh for Eric Young Jr.

Cowgill has been DFA'd

Not bad, McHugh is essentially worthless. Young can hit a little bit...not great but won't embarrass himself at the plate either. Hit .316 in limited duty last year with the Rockies. Blazing speed. Can play all 3 outfield positions as well as 2b.

Young had been DFA'd, and the Rockies had 10 days to trade or release him.  Apparently he wasn't doing well at the plate or the field this year:

http://www.denverpost.com/rockies/ci_23446841/eric-young-jr-designated-by-rockies-days-colorado

This is basically a crap-for-crap trade, but that's OK...McHugh has little value, and when he had his chance to move up the Mets' depth chart with his starting appearance (which with all of the pitching talent in the system, a outlier like McHugh was only to get one chance) and didn't take advantage of it in the slightest, he was immediately expendable (especially with Gee getting hot, and Hefner continuing to be surprisingly solid).  I could see why Colorado would want to take a chance on him...they probably saw McHugh's 2.87 ERA in nine starts for Vegas, and his overall pretty good minor-league numbers, and are hoping they've found a potential #4/#5 who can handle pitching in thin air.  They'll quickly learn that McHugh is a AAAA guy, but all they gave up for him was a guy they didn't want anyway. 

A trade that makes perfect sense but unlikely to make much difference for either team in the long run.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Congrats to David Wright on 1500 career hits!

re: the trade - it's alright. Young Jr. Is basically like Turner, who is on the DL, with more speed and less bat. He did have a good year last season in a limited role but that was BABIP-inflated and likely a blip anyway. Better than losing McHugh for nothing.

Edited by nmigliore

The trade was about each team getting rid of a player they didn't want/need for someone that might help a little.  Good enough fror me.

Byrd is quietly having a fairly decent season, all things considered.  The Mets have a couple of bodies they can move at the deadline in Byrd and Buck...the returns on either player won't be anything significant, and the Mets would likely have to eat a nice chunk of Buck's 2013 salary, but they're probably not Mets in 2014 anyway, so might as well get something for them.

If (huge if) a team was willing to overpay a little for Murph at the deadline (admittedly I don't know if anyone's looking for an average-fielding, pretty good hitting second baseman)...would the Mets bite?   

I wouldn't want to trade Murphy...though we could move Flores into 2b. If some team wanted Murphy I would hold them up for a kings ransom. Overall he's played well enough to work himself into the Mets core and their post 2013 plans. 

Maybe he's not 100% there as in Wright/Harvey/Wheeler territory...but he's pretty close

Edited by '7'

I wouldn't want to trade Murphy...though we could move Flores into 2b. If some team wanted Murphy I would hold them up for a kings ransom. Overall he's played well enough to work himself into the Mets core and their post 2013 plans. 

Maybe he's not 100% there as in Wright/Harvey/Wheeler territory...but he's pretty close

I'll give you that Murph works hard and clearly wants to get the most out of himself.  And has some grit and fire.

Beyond that...there's nothing really great there.  He goes on occasional unconscious streaks and hits a nice amount of doubles.  He's an OK fielder.  He hits for a pretty good average, but since he doesn't draw walks and hit with much power, he doesn't really hit enough.  He's also slow.   

I'm not saying the Mets should be actively looking to trade him, and if the Mets go out and get the right kind of players, Murph is not a detriment to his team.  I'm more saying if another team offers the Mets something of considerable substance, I don't think Murph is so good that he should be an untouchable.  

I'd love to shop Parnell, personally. Teams are always willing to overpay for late-inning relievers and closers at the deadline and he's in the midst of a career year (so far). Murphy is what he is; he doesn't have one stand-out feature but now that he's made himself acceptable defensively, if not above average, he really doesn't have a stand-out flaw. He's a nice complementary piece, one that I'd like to keep, but one that I'd have no issues moving in the right deal. 

Byrd is doing a nice Scott Hairston impression and should draw some solid interest but given his age and recent history I doubt the Mets can get much there. He should no-doubt be traded, though. Sandy has been silly with hanging onto trade-able pieces, even if they are small ones (think Hairston, Capuano from years past).

Edited by nmigliore

Yeah, fair point about Parnell, his trade value will likely never be higher than it is right now, and I don't know if I believe in him long-term.   

You pretty much said what I did about Murph, just worded it a bit differently.  I think his low OB% and lack of power is a bit of a problem though.  Would be nice to see him draw more walks, at the very least.

Agree on Byrd...not expecting much, but why not get something in a year where the season ends after 162 games?  The Mets aren't re-signing him (I don't think) and he'll make a nice rental for someone.  And yeah, Cap'n Passive has been pretty stupid in this regard.  Even if it's a low-level prospect with little chance of reaching the majors...what's the point of getting absolutely NOTHING? 

BTW...Ike now has 8 GP for the 51s (amazing how quickly the GP pile up).  So far, he's been scoring runs and drawing walks (7 on both counts).  He's hitting .207 with a .361 OB%, and has four singles and two doubles in 29 AB. 

Obviously not enough of a sample size to proclaim anything, but those be the numbers. 

Big day for Ike yesterday:  2 for 2 (single and a double), with 3 BB...he reached base all five times he came to the plate.  BA now up to .258 (for whatever it's worth, it must be nice for Ike to see his batting average not be .1-something for a change), with a .439 OB% (he's now drawn 10 BB in 9 GP).  And he's scored nine runs in nine games.

Last 3 GP:  4-for-8, 4 RS, 2 2B, 3 RBI, 6 BB, 1 K. 

Sending him down was the right move and clearly WAY overdue (I think it should've been done a month earlier), but for the Mets' sake, I hope he can find his way back up, and be an effective major-leaguer.  Doofus being the future at 1B is not a good thing...I know he's been hitting the ball more lately, and yeah, he has power and can get on base, but to me he's a bad-team ballplayer, the kind of guy you upgrade over as you're building a contender.  And when stakes are high, I think he's a guy teams can get out VERY easily. 

Ike's walked 10 times and struck out 8 times since being demoted.  It's a lower level of competition obviously, but man would it be nice if he could find a way to take more walks, strike out less, for starters.   

Thank to the Mets having so many invisible bats in their lineup, Murphy is very quietly turning in an awful June:  .188 BA, .253 OB%, .514 OB+SLG. 

Murph has a bit of Pat Burrell in him:  seems like he's either completely locked in or ice cold.  It can be maddening in that just when you think Murph can become the kind of .300+ hitter the Mets need him to be, he has an extended slump which exposes his weaknesses as a hitter (now has a .315 OB%).   I just wish he could be more consistent...that the valleys were a little less deep than they tend to be with Murph.  God I hope Sandy is really going to try to get some reliable bats in this lineup. 

Niese coming out of the game with an injury.  Looks like Marcum gets to keep his spot for a while.  Niese possibly missing time sucks, but maybe Marcum gets hot and draws some interest by the trading deadline.

Nothing against Quintanilla, but man will I be happy when guys like him are a distant memory.

Yeah, Mets might have some nice pitching prospects coming, but they're all righties...I don't know of any lefties in the Mets' system.

Brown with a dinger.

If Montero has a solid month or so with Vegas, wonder if he gets a call up by August.

Murph's weak June continuing...0-for-3 tonight so far.

If they have to shut him down for the year, so be it.  I would much rather they err on the side of caution.

And considering where the team is this year, Plan B (hope Marcum pitches well enough to attract trade partners, hope Montero gets a call up) isn't so bad. 

Nice win...3 of 5. First team to win a series at Turner Field this year (which I find kind of odd since Atlanta isn't really all that good)

Justin Upton had a torrid start, but right now sitting on .240 with a very meh 34 rbi.

Nice play by Murph to throw out Freeman to start off the 9th

Montero's two starts since being promoted to AAA permanently:

10.1 IP, 15 H, 8 R, 4 ER, 2 BB, 14 K, 3.48 ERA 

Always hard to get a good read on PCL numbers, and 10.1 IP clearly isn't much of a sample; if anything, like any Met pitching prospect, I hope Montero isn't there in the PCL for too long...with Niese out, Montero can be seen as being one more Met injured SP away from getting a shot, but I'm guessing the Mets would probably give Torres a short-term chance (he was a starter for Vegas), mostly because they don't want to rush Montero.  Torres' last four Vegas starts were terrific (just 3 ER in 31.2 IP, and two CG in his last two starts), but he's clearly not a prospect...he's 30 years old, and has never done much at the major-league level.  

Yea...they will re evaluate him in 2 weeks time...but surgery hasnt been ruled out as an option. It may well come to it....hope not.

Niese hasnt been right all season as he battled through tendinitis. Who knows maybe he did something to compensate that led to this injury

Ike's numbers:  11 GP, 39 AB, 14 RS, 13 H, 4 2B, 0 3B, 4 HR, 8 RBI, 11 BB, 9 K, .333 BA, .480 OB%, .744 SLG, 1.224 OB+SLG

Obviously those are awesome numbers, for whatever awesome numbers for a demoted major-leaguer playing in the PCL are worth. 

If Ike is gets it going, comes back up, and becomes a pretty good hitter again, I'm sorry, but that's a serious indictment on Collins (who should be fired anyway) and his coaching staff.  Kind of weak that the minor-league coaches could very well have a better handle on how to help Ike than the Mets' staff.

And it's a bigger indictment on Passive that he waited so friggin' long to send Ike to the minors in the first place.