Official 2013 New York Mets Thread

nmigliore

I was still impressed by Germen. His strikeout and walk rates out of the Las Vegas bullpen were very impressive and his changeup is a killer. He gets knocked for throwing a straight fastball and he lacks a 3rd pitch (hence the fact he's in the bullpen), but if he can keep up the velocity he showed tonight (94-95) and find the plate like he did in the minors (5.9 BB% in AAA), he could be a good reliever. 

Hefner continues to pitch well; he was great outside of the 2-run homer to Alvarez, and he certainly could've gone deeper, maybe into the 9th, if given the chance.

Edited by nmigliore

If anyone wants to watch, the MLB Future's Game is going to be on at 2pm ET today. The game will be aired on ESPN2 and MLB.com. It's worth tuning in just for the prospects, but if you're not so into that, at least check out the 1st inning since Rafael Montero and Noah Syndergaard are the starting pitchers for their respective teams. 

Anyone hear about the tantrum Valdespin threw when being demoted? Was apparently furious, called Terry a cocksucker, and demanded to be put on the DL. Wow.

The Mets really should just release him tomorrow; he stinks as a player and his personality is amazingly worse than his baseball skill. 

Edited by nmigliore

Gee was really terrific today. Reminds me a bit of Rick Reed with the way he battles. Can't go into the ASB losing 3 in a row. All in all 6-3 and a very successful road trip.

Buck is getting more scheduled days off and it's really paying off. He's 9 for his last 25.

Mets go into the ASB having gone 16-10 in their last 26.  That's a nice little run of winning baseball for team that's not likely to finish the year as a .500 ballclub. 

nmig, heard about Valdespin's tantrum, and the Mets should just cut this loser loose.  The guy is delusional about how good he is, which is bad enough, but he is also clearly one of those guys who thinks it won't ever be his fault...the world is against him, he never got a fair chance, etc.  He'll always have a chip on his shoulder because of that, but he's like the "meh" looking girl with a "meh" personality (who's probably bitchy and annoying to boot) who thinks she's some major prize.  Jordany, hate to break it to you, but you're really not anywhere NEAR good enough on the field to be such an abrasive a$$hole who no one can stand to be around.  You're an extremely easy guy to say soyanara to, even if you're incapable of seeing it. 

Also nmig, re:  your "out-of-date" comment with regards to Terry...he continues to prove why the only job he could get was the one no one else wanted, and why no one else was knocking on his door.  The one thing that worries me just a little (because I still think he's almost certainly gone after the season), is that Passive starts thinking Terry is orchestrating this turn-around (especially if the Mets turn in a .500ish second half...if the Mets went, say 36-35 after the ASB, would Sandy say, "Hey, I know the overall record doesn't look pretty, but the Mets went 52-45 after a tough start, and we're getting better, and the team really started to come together under Terry..."  Hopefully Passive looks at the bigger picture with Terry, starting with his misuse/overuse of Matt Harvey, but then yanking Hefner out of a game where he was pitching terrific baseball (and had the ASB coming for extra rest), along with other mistakes that have been pointed out. 

Let's face it, it's not so much that Terry's been this great button-pusher, in so much as it's been some overachieving/surprising performances.  Jeremy Hefner, for one.  And Marlon Byrd.  Eric Young was a "What the hell, why not?" trade that is paying off short-term dividends...Passive's OF approach was clearly to throw sh!t at the wall and see what stuck, but somehow at the moment, with Byrd and Young it's paying off.  Josh Satin continues to hit despite losing playing time to the useless undeserving zilch that is Ike Davis...if Ike doesn't start hitting the damned ball within a week or so after the ASB, send him down for the rest of the season...guy's gotten enough friggin' chances, and the now the guy who waited patiently to get HIS chance and actually HITS is getting fvcked over as a result. 

Gee was really terrific today. Reminds me a bit of Rick Reed with the way he battles. Can't go into the ASB losing 3 in a row. All in all 6-3 and a very successful road trip.

Buck is getting more scheduled days off and it's really paying off. He's 9 for his last 25.

Rick Reed was a hell of a lot of better than Gee, especially in his first two seasons as a Met.  His control was scary (1.7 BB per 9 IP for his career).  His first two Met seasons, he pitched 420.2 IP and walked just 60 hitters.  This year's Hefner actually reminds me much more of Reed than Gee does.

Re:  Buck, he's somehow on pace to have the best HR/RBI numbers of his career, which is kind of scary, considering that he was an offensive black hole for just about three months of this year.  But at least he's starting to get hot at just the right time...who knows, many some GM will see the good July numbers (hopefully that continues), see the overall solid "at a glance" HR/RBI numbers, and take a gamble at the deadline...I don't kid myself that Buck is bringing back anything special, and the Mets will definitely have to eat most of the contract, and the Mets catching situation will definitely suffer in the short-term, especially if D'Arnaud never gets healthy in 2013...but Sandy HAS to kick the tires and see if Buck draws some kind of interest.   

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Has anyone noticed what Oliver Perez has been up to in Seattle the last two years? He's seriously been one of the most dominant relievers in baseball. I kid you not. He's back to throwing hard, he's suddenly throwing strikes, and he's missing tons of bats this season. He's not just doing it against lefties -- his strikeout rate is actually higher against righties this season. Some other fun facts:

- He has the 7th highest Zone%, that is pitches inside the strikezone, among all pitchers with at least 60 IP since 2012.

- He has the 17th highest F-Strike%, that is first pitch strike rate, among all pitchers with at least 30 IP in 2013.

- He has the 7th lowest Contact%, that is contact rate against, among all pitchers with at least 30 IP in 2013.

- His 1.92 ERA since 2012 is the 8th best among all pitchers with at least 60 IP.

Jeff Sullivan, who wrote an article on Oliver Perez today for Fangraphs, pretty much summed it up best:

Baseball can be really weird.

Saw all of this before...the only thing I can say is who would've thunk it? 

Can't help but wonder if he'd fold if traded to a playoff contender.

Just got back from FanFest. It was really cool, TONS of merchandise to buy there. I bought a white ASG cap, an awesome blown up photo of Pete Rose and Bud Harrelson fighting, and an authentic autographed Tom Seaver picture. Here are some pictures I took (for those that have never met me, now you'll know what I look like, creepers :P):

Seaver graphic/cardboard that was near the entrance:

:IMG_0401.jpg

Father (left) and I (right) next to the World Series trophy:

photo3.jpg

Father and I in front of the big baseball near the entrance:

photo4.jpg

Strawberry, Evan Roberts, Joe Beningo at the WFAN stage:

photo1.jpg

ASG MVP Award:

IMG_0409.jpg

AL Jackie Robinson RoY:

IMG_0410.jpg

History of the team:

IMG_0402.jpg

IMG_0403.jpg

nmig, all this is very cool and thanks for sharing it with us...

Also cool to see what you look like!  For some reason (no offense, I swear), I pictured you being chubby!  Clearly you're not! 

Everyone, maybe we can all get pics of ourselves up here?  I'll try to get one up tonight.

Harvey gave up a leadoff double to Trout, hit Cano in the knee (who later left), struck out Cabrera, got Davis to fly out to shallow CF, and struck out Bautista.

It sucks to see Cano get hit like that in an exhibition game, Yankee or not, I hope he's alright. He winked to Harvey when walking by the mound so maybe (hopefully) he's just leaving for precautionary reasons.

The endless Rivera garbage bothered me. They tried to make this more about NY Baseball instead of the Mets. Were the Mets even mentioned in 2008?

And getting the MVP? Give me a break.

Edited by '7'

The endless Rivera garbage bothered me. They tried to make this more about NY Baseball instead of the Mets. Were the Mets even mentioned in 2008?

And getting the MVP? Give me a break.

Rivera is an all-time great, the very best at what he did.  It's his last season.  I'm not surprised about any of this, and giving him the MVP was more of a lifetime achievement, thanks for everything kind of award.  It was given to him purely for sentimental reasons.  I can live with that.

Carton is being a complete dick today on WFAN, but at least Boomer's calling him out on it.  He's ripping Harvey's performance...call me crazy, but the guy came back nicely after appearing to be a little nervous/amped up early on.  Carton apparently seems to think Harvey should've struck out every batter he faced.  He's also bitching about the quality of the game, calling it "boring".  The best pitching in the game was on display last night...and some of those guys throw some damned nasty stuff.  Not sure why Idiot thought he was going to see a 10-9 game. 

LOL he did he watch the game? Someone should go tell him to rewatch the Harvey vs the Best Hitter on The Planet (Cabrera) at bat. And go and find me a better slider than what Harvey has.

Whatever, Carton is a total clown, also probably the biggest fair weather fan you'll find.

Edited by nmigliore

I've always known Carton was a horse's ass, a Howard Stern/Mad Dog wannabe who thinks he's much cooler and badass than he could ever hope to be, but today he took it to a whole 'nother level. 

I'm not even a big All-Star guy, and I not only watched the game, I actually ENJOYED it, lack of hits and runs included.  I came away from the game thinking "Wow, there is some really terrific pitching in the majors right now!"  Because the guys trying to hit the ball sure weren't slouches.

He's probably just bitter Harvey hit Cano, you KNOW some idiot Yankee fans are going to hold that against Harvey now.  At least Cano himself did his best to diffuse it.

Yeah, I expect he'll be booed heartily if he pitches in Yankee Stadium next season.  And some of those idiot Yankee fans will swear that Harvey did it on purpose. 

Rivera is an all-time great, the very best at what he did.  It's his last season.  I'm not surprised about any of this, and giving him the MVP was more of a lifetime achievement, thanks for everything kind of award.  It was given to him purely for sentimental reasons.  I can live with that.

Carton is being a complete dick today on WFAN, but at least Boomer's calling him out on it.  He's ripping Harvey's performance...call me crazy, but the guy came back nicely after appearing to be a little nervous/amped up early on.  Carton apparently seems to think Harvey should've struck out every batter he faced.  He's also bitching about the quality of the game, calling it "boring".  The best pitching in the game was on display last night...and some of those guys throw some damned nasty stuff.  Not sure why Idiot thought he was going to see a 10-9 game. 

I understand, but a Citi Field game should be more Met-centric imho. Just something about the Yankees hogging the spotlight again rubs me the wrong way (albeit Rivera would be the most tolerable Yankee) I still see him as a bit overrated even if he is the best at what he does. But the role of the closer has changed over the years so he doesn't pitch 3 innings like they used to, and I wouldn't put him on the pedestal of position players who hit and fielded the entire game...or starting pitchers for that matter. To me it's like honoring the NFL's greatest punter.I didn

I didn't mind the pitching display either. Harvey had his 2 shutout innings, Wright got a hit. I prefer that to a 10-9 barnburner with Harvey getting shellacked and Wright going 0-3

Edited by '7'

Geez '7', that seems a bit unfair, re: Rivera.  He's a hell of a lot more important than a punter.  The guy was not only terrific for his ENTIRE career as a closer, he was also incredibly clutch.  How many closers with great stuff have a way of buckling in big spots?  Hell, the Mets have had their share of those guys...Benitez, Wagner, etc.  In 96 postseason appearances, he threw 141 IP (clearly he went more than just one inning in a lot of games), and allowed just 86 hits and 21 BB.  That's a 0.76 WHIP.  A guy who was already awesome in the regular season actually got even BETTER in the postseason against TOUGHER competition.  Not too many guys do that. 

You cannot underestimate the importance of a closer who is practically money no matter what the circumstances.  Guys like that are VERY hard to find, and guys who can do it for damned near two decades...we will probably never see another Rivera-type again.    

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976