Official 2013 New York Mets Thread

nmigliore

Harvey's ERA is down to 2.11.  His night is over.

Yeah, this could wind up being his career year...I can't expect to him to perform any better, or even match this.  Sucks it had to be on a rebuilding/transitioning team.

Ike will pinch hit for Harvey...you just KNOW he's going to strike out.

C'mon Ike...you don't even need a hit here.

Guess they were afraid of him. 

Horrible job by Lagares. 3-1 pitch and he goes fishing for some crap outside the zone

still not sold on him at the plate. in the field, sure...but he doesn't have much tact at the plate.

Edited by '7'

Alright I'm out. seen my share of walkoff losses in Washington, don't care to see another Zimmerman walkoff HR

Alright I'm out. seen my share of walkoff losses in Washington, don't care to see another Zimmerman walkoff HR

What a call!

What a call!

all we do is lose walkoffs in Washington (when we do lose in that ballpark) and they deserved it with that stupid Lagares AB. The fvck was he reaching for at 3-1. Should've been bases loaded 1 out for Murph

On a positive note, very nice job by Syndergaard tonight: 6 IP, 1 hit, 1 run, 0 BB, 8 K. And he accomplished that with just 59 pitches, presumably removed to limit his innings. One poster on a Mets board who was in attendance said he was sitting mid-90's. 

Cesar Puello also continues to tear it up; he drew a walk in the first game and then went 3-for-4 with a double in the second. The walks are particularly encouraging - he's drawn 12 in the month of July; he drew 15 total in the first three months. I'm glad the Mets have kept him in AA despite the fantastic numbers, because the pitch recognition really needed improving. Nice to see some progress. 

What a disaster...Torres did fine his first couple of starts working his way out of trouble, but his luck has run out...this guy is an asset in the pen though. Let's put him back where he belongs

Torres is a 30-year-old journeyman who was having a solid season at Vegas and got a chance here only because of guys like Marcum and Niese getting hurt, and the true gems being not quite ready yet.  To his credit, he's done well overall with the opportunity (like Satin), but I don't think he figures much into the Mets' plans beyond this season...like you say, maybe he gets a shot as a bullpen/swingman type, but I'm guessing the Mets would rather find someone better for that role. 

Re:  Syndergaard...July 17 was his only real "meh" start in AA...the other 5 AA starts he's made have been decent to terrific (he had a brief 2 IP pre-ASG appearance that I'm not counting).  Really looking good for him getting some AAA starts this season, unless he tanks.   

Sucks to lose three games in a row when they were playing well for a while, but so be it...if anything, it could be a blessing in disguise, in that hopefully Sandy isn't entertaining thoughts of keeping Byrd and others that might have anywhere from minimal to decent trade value.  This season should be not trying to win 76 games instead of 70 or something along those lines.  

BTW D'Arnaud is FINALLY playing again...4 games in the Gulf Coast League (rookie).  Nice numbers but it's well below the level of competition D'Arnaud is used to seeing.  Even if he doesn't come up for a while, hopefully Sandy will try to move John Buck.  I can't see Buck bringing back anything significant...he's still owed a fair amount of money and though the HR/RBI numbers look good for a catcher, I'm sure GMs have done their homework, and realize his numbers were built off that insane first 10 games...the guy was as invisible as an everyday player can be for over 2 months.  I'm guessing the Mets might be able to get a lower-level, decent prospect if they pay most of Buck's remaining salary. 

This being said, I think Sandy is probably not going to be aggressive in trying to trade Buck, in that he probably thinks it would be nice for D'Arnaud to have a mentor when he comes up, and obviously D'Arnaud's health has got to be a concern.  I'm guessing Buck is almost a certainty to be here beyond the deadline, but I hope Sandy at least kicks the tires to see what's out there. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Satin is now 5 for his last 28, with 8 BB and 12 K in that time.  One 2B hit and no RBI.  He wasn't going to keep hitting .382, and maybe word's gotten out on him, but I'm sure rotating between pinch-hitting and starting hasn't helped his cause. 

Ike continues to be very meh since coming back:  12-for-53, 8 RS, .226 BA, .359 OB%.  About the only thing that can be said in his favor is that he's been more selective and a bit better at laying off crap pitches (reflected in the improved BB-to-K ratio, and increased walks), but he's still been frustratingly useless otherwise.  He's slugging .321 since coming back, and .272 on the season.  His .680 OB+SLG since his recall only feels slightly passable because it's better than the .541 OB+SLG he's put up for the season.  It's scary AND sad how far he's fallen.  Basically his season can be described as "sucked royally until he was sent down, now sucking less but still sucking now that he's back."   

Jose Veras acquired by the Tigers from Houston.  Of interest because, if you think the Mets would trade Parnell based on a strong offer coming in, this is one less destination:

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/9518364/detroit-tigers-acquire-houston-astros-closer-jose-veras-trade

Take this for what it's worth, but I can totally see Passive & Co. fvcking this up:

http://www.sbnation.com/mlb/2013/7/26/4559852/mets-trade-rumors-new-york-unlikely-to-trade-bobby-parnell-or-marlon

I can understand keeping Parnell if no fair offers come in, but Byrd?  For WHAT?!  To feel good about a potentially good second half (which could derail anyway, even with Byrd)?  He is 35 years old who is having a career year!  This could be an incredible bonus for the Mets...he was basically a Sandy scrap-heap hold-the-fort-for-2013 guy who's somehow paying off dividends no one saw coming (including Sandy...face it Sandy, you got flat-out LUCKY on this one...this was not some stroke of genius).  He actually has trade value, and will never be worth more than he is right now!  He may not bring a ton back, but so what...what is Sandy going to do, give him a one or two-year deal to stay?  If yes, that seems risky as hell, as he is hardly a lock to repeat this season.  If no, Sandy's going to keep him here so the Mets can feel good about having an outside shot at 80 wins?

This just seems soooooooo stupid to me...stupid, pointless, short-sighted, etc.  Marlon Byrd is actually worth something as a nice, almost free (in terms of money owned) rental to teams needing a bat.  I am going to be beyond pissed if he is a Met post-deadline.       

Even if you want to re-sign Byrd (which considering the Mets' lack of OF'ers I wouldn't be opposed to) I don't see why trading him precludes you from re-signing him either. You could get the best of both worlds really.

I've said the same thing on here as well, a few times.  It's the best of both worlds for Marlon too.  If he really likes being with the Mets, he can go be a rental for a couple of months and be in a playoff race, then come back...I still think it's a risky move on the part of the Mets (bringing him back), but like we all know, it's not like outfield is the Mets' strong suit right now. 

I think Byrd on the Mets next year could be the equivalent of RA Dickey on the Blue Jays, in terms of performance returns.  I think the Mets should probably sell high and be thankful they got as much as they did out of Byrd.

BTW, Valdespin is now 9-for-his-last-11 in Vegas.  He's 22-for-44 (yes, a .500 BA) since getting sent down.  1.378 OB+SLG.  22 RBI in 11 GP.  At least the guy can terrorize AAA pitching.  Ike couldn't even do that. 

On a positive note, very nice job by Syndergaard tonight: 6 IP, 1 hit, 1 run, 0 BB, 8 K. And he accomplished that with just 59 pitches, presumably removed to limit his innings. One poster on a Mets board who was in attendance said he was sitting mid-90's. 

Cesar Puello also continues to tear it up; he drew a walk in the first game and then went 3-for-4 with a double in the second. The walks are particularly encouraging - he's drawn 12 in the month of July; he drew 15 total in the first three months. I'm glad the Mets have kept him in AA despite the fantastic numbers, because the pitch recognition really needed improving. Nice to see some progress. 

Hard for me to get overly excited about a Biogenesis guy in Puello. 

Even if you want to re-sign Byrd (which considering the Mets' lack of OF'ers I wouldn't be opposed to) I don't see why trading him precludes you from re-signing him either. You could get the best of both worlds really.

exactly, Byrd absolutely has to be dealt. And yes he likes it here, and says he would welcome an opportunity to be the 4th OF next year...and (according to Francesa anyway) is already recruiting guys for his offseason conditioning program.

All well and good...he's still a corner outfielder on pace for 95 rbi's, and he's not exactly 38-39 years old either (or 40 like Ibanez) 

I think an organizations top 10 prospect can be had for him if we push it to the wire at the trade deadline and don't budge, and I think we should aggressively pursue him in the offseason as well